deionized water rinse?

This thread has certainly sparked my interest in a 0ppm rinse. Can I ask from those who are using this regularly what the running costs are please

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The link will give you the details, however I cannot (yet) give my running costs, as am only 2-3 final rinses in with this. I had the aquagleam disposable which is half the price of the raceglaze, but cost about a fiver per rinse. My estimation is that this should be half the price initially, but with refil, that cost will come down. You can shop around for resin

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care...er-filters/400-litre-0ppm-car-washing-filter/

Reactions: Taxboy
The link will give you the details, however I cannot (yet) give my running costs, as am only 2-3 final rinses in with this. I had the aquagleam disposable which is half the price of the raceglaze, but cost about a fiver per rinse. My estimation is that this should be half the price initially, but with refil, that cost will come down. You can shop around for resin

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care...er-filters/400-litre-0ppm-car-washing-filter/
Thanks for that. A fiver a rinse ...... this detailing lark isn't cheap is it

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc and Taxboy
I have taken notice, q5man, and will be changing my aqua-gleam filters for a Raceglaze 7-litre refillable item - placement of order is imminent.

BUT before going Raceglaze...

Now going Kinetico mains-inlet-connected water softener - nothing is too much for an Audi or two, of course... :blink:

Will let you know how, what, etc., the differences are - or not

Gonna have to every-mornin' shower in it, too... :scared2:

Reactions: V6_Man
BUT before going Raceglaze...

Now going Kinetico mains-inlet-connected water softener - nothing is too much for an Audi or two, of course... :blink:

Will let you know how, what, etc., the differences are - or not

Gonna have to every-mornin' shower in it, too... :scared2:
I have read somewhere that water softeners don't take out the "contaminants" but rather change their properties.
Have had a Kinetico before, and very good for soft water (showers etc), but don't think ideal for washing cars, as essentially they use big salt blocks, so you will be chucking dissolved salt all over your Audi's :wtf:

Reactions: 45bvtc
just found this after quick google:

Softening is an advantage to the car washer since the minerals in the softened water are easier to get rid of and don't form the scaling associated with hardness, but high TDS water, softened or not, will produce spotting. With softened high TDSwater you'll still have spots. They'll just be easier to wipe off.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15260

So essentially no problem using softened water it seems, but it WILL leave water spots, something 0ppm will not do

I have read somewhere that water softeners don't take out the "contaminants" but rather change their properties.
Have had a Kinetico before, and very good for soft water (showers etc), but don't think ideal for washing cars, as essentially they use big salt blocks, so you will be chucking dissolved salt all over your Audi's :wtf:

No, q5man; the aqua-gleam '30' + '0' ppm filters will remain in situ and when they 'die' a recently purchased '0' ppm Raceglaze filter - following your excellent advice :salute: - will be installed.

No worries, these are 'my' own "£s" Audi cars after all...

:yahoo:

Reactions: cuke2u and NevMan
No, q5man; the aqua-gleam '30' + '0' ppm filters will remain in situ and when they 'die' a recently purchased '0' ppm Raceglaze filter - following your excellent advice :salute: - will be installed.

No worries, these are 'my' own "£s" Audi cars after all...

:yahoo:
good man :icon thumright:

Having used my raceglaze twice now I can vouch for it being an excellent product and even seems to make my wet wax easier to apply and give better results.....

Reactions: NevMan and 45bvtc
Having used my raceglaze twice now I can vouch for it being an excellent product and even seems to make my wet wax easier to apply and give better results.....

Try TJ's QD (Quick Detailer), much better in my opinion than 'wet wax.'

I stopped 'waxing' the 'clear-coat' years ago...

Can confirm having had a water softner for 9 years that they won't help with water spots. They work via ion exchange so the hard calcium ions are swapped for sodium. Easier to remove but the ppm reading will be the same. Measured mine. :)

One day I'll get a DI vessel like the Raceglaze one. This one is supposed to be good value

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/272808081076

Reactions: V6_Man, NevMan and 45bvtc
Can confirm having had a water softner for 9 years that they won't help with water spots. They work via ion exchange so the hard calcium ions are swapped for sodium. Easier to remove but the ppm reading will be the same. Measured mine. :)

One day I'll get a DI vessel like the Raceglaze one. This one is supposed to be good value

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/272808081076
thanks @scotty76 , knew I had read something about water softeners somewhere, must have been your thread.

That does look good value for 11L. It is odd, as looks a lot smaller than the raceglaze 7L, but very similar otherwise.
I have used my 0ppm about 20+ times, and still reading 0ppm. Have a 25L bag of resin ready to go for replacement when reading climbs off 0

Reactions: scotty76 and 45bvtc
@q5man the advantage of the Raceglaze one is they say you can use it with a pressure washer. The normal DI vessels you can't

Oh really? Yes, use raceglaze with PW, and have done so for the last 10+ rinses. Seems to work pretty well, and obviously uses less water

Try TJ's QD (Quick Detailer), much better in my opinion than 'wet wax.'

I stopped 'waxing' the 'clear-coat' years ago...
That's up to you but I wet wax my car every wash if I can, however it has also a ceramic coat and I would like to keep it there as long as possible...

My aqua gleam filters are now 100% exhausted and so I'll be fitting my Raceglaze unit next week.

Does anyone want these 2-units?

Dead filters

Both are sealed units, however, if you've the tools/facilities you may (?) be able to split and re-fill with new resin.

Collect or ship (you pay the ship, obviously) - otherwise into a suitable waste disposal they'll go.

Reactions: NevMan

Raceglaze now installed, q5man:

Raceglaze

Raceglaze outlet hose can be for bucket-filling or coupled to a dedicated DI water extension hose for car wash rinse. I have no need and/or wouldn't power-wash with DI water; for me it's DI water bucket-wash and/or rise only.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, jungle650 and NevMan
Nice install @45bvtc :icon thumright:
Do you know what, I have for some reason never thought to use DI for my wash/rinse, but makes sense, as then NO contaminants in water.
Good tip, will give it a go next wash.

For the record: I checked with Mo, a really nice and helpful lady, at Race Glaze this morning asking would my yet-to-be-installed Kinetico water softener, added salts and all, adversely affect the installed Race Glaze resin and Mo said that it would not.

While now installed I haven't as yet used the Race Glaze as there's way too much 3ppm 'rain' water in my greenhouse water-butt, and my tomatoes and cucumbers are almost finished...

Just adding information here... :readit:

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76 and NevMan
I have the same set up here. However I'd recommend also fitting a 'de-chlorinator' before the deionizer. Reason being is that I did a load of research before investing in this kit and it appears that chlorine in the water massively degrades the resin. You'll get far more for your money if you fit one pre-line.

Reactions: 45bvtc and NevMan
I have the same set up here. However I'd recommend also fitting a 'de-chlorinator' before the deionizer. Reason being is that I did a load of research before investing in this kit and it appears that chlorine in the water massively degrades the resin. You'll get far more for your money if you fit one pre-line.

What can/do you recommend?

Last edited:
Go for any in-line fish pond type, they last a long time, a lot more that the crappy 'aqua gleam' deionizers. I've got 'Det-tox FC12'.

Incase you don't know (apologies if you do), just don't use any of this kit with your pressure washer. The flow rates aren't fast enough and obviously its a bit pointless when you can just do a final rinse - it'll all last far longer.

Go for any in-line fish pond type, they last a long time, a lot more that the crappy 'aqua gleam' deionizers. I've got 'Det-tox FC12'.

Incase you don't know (apologies if you do), just don't use any of this kit with your pressure washer. The flow rates aren't fast enough and obviously its a bit pointless when you can just do a final rinse - it'll all last far longer.

Thanks, I'll review; and no, I'll not be pressure washing with DI water... :hi:

Reactions: jaysrs4

Reviewed, purchased, and installed jayrs4... :hi:

De chlorinator 2

Excuse the window wash sponge bucket...

Reactions: DW81, jaysrs4 and NevMan
Good work mate! Well done, nice set up my friend ;-)

My AquaGleam filter is on its last legs now, so have just ordered a RaceGlaze one. Looking forward to being able to use it with the jetwash!

Reactions: cuke2u and NevMan
**THREAD REVIVAL**

Has anyone got or heard about the Vyair water filter? Want to order a new filter, and I am torn between the Raceglaze and the Vyair. Vyair is cheaper and bigger, and seems to be well reviewed. Just hadn’t heard of them before now, so makes me question if it would be the wise choice?

Reactions: NevMan
**THREAD REVIVAL**

Has anyone got or heard about the Vyair water filter? Want to order a new filter, and I am torn between the Raceglaze and the Vyair. Vyair is cheaper and bigger, and seems to be well reviewed. Just hadn’t heard of them before now, so makes me question if it would be the wise choice?

Can only comment in the raceglaze, works very well for me.

Race glace user here. Highly recommend it and when you need to change the resin like I did recently go to one of those commercial window cleaning company’s web pages and buy the resin in bulk from them.
Same resin and cheaper too.

Race glace user here. Highly recommend it and when you need to change the resin like I did recently go to one of those commercial window cleaning company’s web pages and buy the resin in bulk from them.
Thanks for that. The Vyair is also based upon the same principal - replacement resin. The fact that the 11ltr vessel is even cheaper than Raceglaze’s 7ltr has caught my attention, and it seems on paper that they do the same thing!

I did the same and bought a bulk bag from window cleaning company, have only refilled once from new almost a year ago

Reactions: 45bvtc and DW81
Vyair here. Absolutely fine and much better VFM that the raceglaze.

DGTkfkK.jpg

Reactions: scotty76, NevMan, SPIKE_ and 1 other person