DEFROSTER FLAPS STUCK SHUT

CEC

Exhausted
Reaction score
Website
www.clitheroeexhaustcentre.co.uk
Has anybody got a cheap fix please?
Got up this morning to a frozen windscreen so started car to warm things up only to find after 10 mins the screen was still full of frost.

It seems that the flaps are stuck shut!
Got the following fault codes

don't know were to start with this lot so any help would be good

Thank's.
ps I know that the code 00710 ref to the defroster motor but not sure which one this is on the side of the heater box?

Last edited:
Job done,thanks for the link James.

A little confused as to why the red lever keeps moving even when ignition is switched off,this must be the noise I have had for a while! is this normal ?

Last edited:
I think so, I'm not sure but I think it might be down to the release of air pressure in the system as it settles.

a also have heater servo gremlins for a minute or 2 after i take my key out

a also have heater servo gremlins for a minute or 2 after i take my key out

same here

and used to suffer with the stuck flap too so i removed the motor and left the flap open far cheaper then a motor lol ......temp fix till funds allow etc

hope not !!! i aint lol.....hey stu when you say you removed motor have you unplugged it or just removed linkage and manually opened the flap up etc... i'll be doing this friday m8 thanks

hope not !!! i aint lol.....hey stu when you say you removed motor have you unplugged it or just removed linkage and manually opened the flap up etc... i'll be doing this friday m8 thanks

i just removed the motor and left it hanging there mine doesnt do a lot so left it plugged in left it on the linkage to let the weight keep it open

done and now working just need some new servos for full repair..... i got 2 motors with heater gremlins aswell as vthe red linkage one is having a fit when ignition switched off

i saw a full heater system on ebay the other day for £110 was the full unit with all servos and fan it had the b motor too which is the updated? one

damm thats cheap they want nearly that for the green linkage servo

yes i know i was going to buy it but funds are low!!

Hi Guys. Have just had the same problem on my car. Don't rush out buying the motors. I stripped my motor apart (the top one code v710 defrost flap) (carefully) and found the grease inside wasn't lubricating the mechanisum. Taking the motor out filling with a fresh very light weight grease exercised the gears put back together and hey presto all working.So carried on down and did all the others including the recycle flap motor. They retail from audi for around £104 each fo my B7. The red linkage is the temperature control flap which keeps twitching especially on digital climate to maintain temp then creaps round to cold when switched off to help reduce huffing up when parked.

how long ago did you do this?

if only a few days let us know how you get on after a month if all is well i think i wll do the same

I stripped my motor apart (the top one code v710 defrost flap) (carefully) and found the grease inside wasn't lubricating the mechanisum.

I had wondered about stripping mine down, but decided to wait until it was fubar rather than just intermittent, I had assumed being intermittent it was an electrical rather than mechanical fault.

As mentioned it will be interesting if it holds out, normally when I manually move the mechanism on my demist flap it works again for a while.

Fancy doing a run through with some pics?

Yes it has only been about a week so far but i will let you know soon, as the cold starts creeping in there reliabilty will soon show..

As for the task its very straight forward. Once the the unit housing is opened all that's inside is a small motor much like one from a radio controlled car.This winds a plastic spindle/worm gear rotating the large gear holding the arm that moves the flap. On the reverse of this their is a very basic rehostat that just just signals the motor when and how far to run in order to open,close the flap partially or fully.

How to do the task .....

The case simply clips together with 6 little claw clips you'll need something thin and pointy for this part.
Once open remove the motor and rotate its shaft to insure the motors ok then liberally apply grease to the spindle where it engages with the large gear and using your finger nail rotate the spindle at the bottom from where the motor engages it to ensure the lubricant gets fully into the teeth on all the plastic parts and that the green arm on the outside moves through its full range, then wind it back to the start. Refit the motor greasing its little gear. Then remove rehostat and make sure the center rotates freely and refit I lubricated this part too. Clip on the cover and your all sorted.

I used a light weight spray grease on mine from wurth. It its green in colour and called an open gear grease very good and you can spray all the swivel points on the air box. Its very low tack so won't then collect dust and clog up. Vasaline is probably the next best thing.

As with all plastic things i would suggest getting it some where warm for a bit to make the case a bit more flexible for opening.

You'll wonder why its so expensive once you've seen inside and i'd probably be more inclined too play with them when there intermittant so as to save the motor from undue stress.

I wish i'd thought of taking some pics now whist it was all apart to make the explanation easier. doh

Hopefully this helps enough for now.

Last edited:
I have definitely got dodgy flaps in my car, and the gremlin noises after the key has been removed too. I think i'll take a look at this over christmas, and see what I can find.

Thanks for the write up

Hi Guys . Thought i should check in and give you an update on the flap motor strip and regrease.

Nearly 2 months on and their working like new. This is a daily use car and with the cold weather they are definately being put through their paces.

Perhaps more people can follow suit and save filling up waste bins with these little but expensive motors.

Cheers

Thanks for the update, several people have had this problem of late!

Thanks for suggesting the cheap fix of removing the motor and leaving it hanging. Did that last night before a long run today and seems to keep the screen clear! Any ideas on how to get the green linkage off the motor spindle so that I can try and fix it properly at the weekend (thanks Dellorto Esteven for instructions)?

just spin the motor round on the shaft/linkage bud and then the little slot lines up and slide it out

Hi all, I also had/have the same problem with my a4 convertible .... It's with the green servo motor, I bought a second hand one on eBay befor I knew about the cheap fix mentioned above, problem I still have is that once fitted still it doesn't work... I had all the same noises as the rest of you guys before it stopped working, eventually I tried the cheap fix and put back to gather still it will not work, I read I should use the plug and play clip from another servo motor beside the green one and see what happens and hey presto... It works ( both them) now I am lost completely !! When I plug and reconnect the green servo nothing is happening, can't see any wires broken or sliced, checked all fuses and fine????? Please help if you have had a similar problem.... The only other thing I can do is disconnect and leave hot air coming through the flap?? Thanks

Help anyone.... Not sure what to try next to get the motor working on the green linkage arm, suggestions please.....

Hi there, yes I believe there is power at the plug as when I plug in the servo it makes a very slow repositioning of itself.... This is only when plugged in but not linked up to the green linkage arm that controls the flap. I'm at a loss as not sure where to begin ??? When linked up basically nothing happens?? Any other suggestions?
Please??

I can't fully understand what you're saying to be honest. It's possible the climate control system is knackered. I know it's a cliche, but it's worth getting the codes scanned to see what error codes are there rather us trying to second guess the problem.

Reactions: Watchthisspace123
You could try running the motor through "basically settings" with vagcom

You could try running the motor through "basically settings" with vagcom

Thanks guys, I don't have a vag-com....but will get into a Gaurage .... Think it must be electrical, sorry if I wasn't clear, basically the servo motor works when plugged into the red linkage plug and play( both motors) but nothing when all plugged in and connected to green linkage.... Must be a fault code attached???? But thanks guys.... Any other suggestions welcome!!

do you mean no motor moves the green linkage? could be seized up somewhere