Definitive tyre

ohmyaudi

Reaction score
Is there a definitive answer for the best tyres for 18" S3 wheels with good rim protection. I live in London and rim protection is key. I've read a few threads in the past but there's always so many answers and I can't find any of them anymore. I will be buying on black circles most likely.

Probably the Pirelli P Zero for rim protection...but I persoanlly didnt like them for grip so went for Michelin pilot sport 4 which have some rim protection but it isnt as much as the Pirelli

Reactions: TomBlueS3 and Lehn
Is there a definitive answer for the best tyres for 18" S3 wheels with good rim protection. I live in London and rim protection is key. I've read a few threads in the past but there's always so many answers and I can't find any of them anymore. I will be buying on black circles most likely.
If you're a Costco member. Tyres are significantly cheaper and they have a deal on at the moment for money off

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have P-zeros and they not only have good rim protection but they look great on 19's will have slightly higher profile on 18's though.
With regards to grip I have had good performance so far over the winter and in the snow (non gritted roads) and really good feedback in the dry … so good so far (easy as good as the Conti SC5) have done about 5K on these.

No tyre rim protector will fully protect your alloys if you scrape them along the kerb. The tyre rim will flex and you will kerb your alloys.

You can buy those plastic rim protectors, that although I don't use them myself, may be the best solution for you. Suppose it's easy to say stay away from the kerb, but think all of us will have hit a kerb every now and then. It's just a relief to see no damage.

Personally, if I lived in London and had to drive to work and back each day, I'd be driving around in a cheap sh*tbox that I didn't mind getting bumped or scraped. I'd keep the S3 for weekends.

Reactions: RS3 S.
After looking at severals and severals of threads my personal conclusion is:

Best rim protection: Pirelli P Zero
Best performance tyre: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (okay rim protection)
Best overall tyre (value for money): Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, I have these I don't have any complains other than there is not much rim protection
Best overall tyre (cheaper than the Goodyear): Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 K117, this is now a OE tyre in the AO version which has more rim protection than the non-AO version. I've had the non-AO version and it's a really good tyre especially when considering the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmyaudi
After reading about @jassyo06 experience recently with Pirelli P Zero tyres.....you need to make sure it is the A01 variant to get the large rim protector.

Probably not the best for rim protection, but I would recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1. I've just stuck a pair on the back and the difference is night and day from the Dunlops RT Maxx that they replaced. Alot more smoother, no understeer and much quieter.

Reactions: Kayobong and Lehn
Sorry to go a bit off topic but has anyone had issues with the Dunlop sport max RT2? I have a band running down the centre of the tread which isn’t wearing in line with the rest of the tread and is now making a whining noise when driving
214af6310347af77af0ad4ccec452f7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to go a bit off topic but has anyone had issues with the Dunlop sport max RT2? I have a band running down the centre of the tread which isn’t wearing in line with the rest of the tread and is now making a whining noise when driving
214af6310347af77af0ad4ccec452f7f.jpg

Under inflation can cause that.

After looking at severals and severals of threads my personal conclusion is:

Best rim protection: Pirelli P Zero
Best performance tyre: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (okay rim protection)
Best overall tyre (value for money): Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, I have these I don't have any complains other than there is not much rim protection
Best overall tyre (cheaper than the Goodyear): Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 K117, this is now a OE tyre in the AO version which has more rim protection than the non-AO version. I've had the non-AO version and it's a really good tyre especially when considering the price.

Amazing conclusion thank you. Pirelli's it is! What's the life like? My stock continentals have lasted ages but down to 3mm now and they're wheel spinning all the time.

Amazing conclusion thank you. Pirelli's it is! What's the life like? My stock continentals have lasted ages but down to 3mm now and they're wheel spinning all the time.
I've had pirellis on the front since about 8k miles. I've done 22k miles now (so 14k) on them and still based on feeling the 1.6mm marker has a fair bit of tread left. Should see me to about 20k at a guess

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have the Pirelli P Zero on my FL RS3 and can’t fault them.
Just hit 10,000 on them and the wear had been amazing. What surprised was how even the wear has been on all four.
All tread depths were almost identical, I have the 19” RO2 versions and the rim protection is the best.

The deal on at ATS atm for pilot sport 4 tyres seems really good. Was the rim protection okay on them or is the 4S model that has it?

Where did you guys get the Pirelli's P Zero from and do i still need the A01's or are 2's ok now.

Where did you guys get the Pirelli's P Zero from and do i still need the A01's or are 2's ok now.
Camskill have AO1's just double check the listed OE code states as such (thank @jassyo06 for that tip).
Blackcircles.com have them listed as Audi AO, so you'd have to check with them which variant they are exactly.

I have 18's on my A3 and the best tyre I've came across so far is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, I see people saying it has bad rim protection but it seems good to me, it was considerably better than the Continental Sport Contact 5 I had on before, definitely saved me one or two times.

It’s funny how rim protection is a major factor in tyre choice. In my younger days performance is most important and wear rate a distant second.
I would avoid contis if rim protection is what you are looking for. Mrs has cont premium contact and there isn’t even a rim there. Straight down from edge of wheel.