Deer collision

george forbes

Reaction score
Hit a deer on the way home from work last night at 70mph ,scared the **** out of me, approx 2.40am dual carriagway and out of nowhere 2 deer shoot across from my right , first one made it but second not so lucky and caught drivers side front and then full on into the grill , thought it was only in the movies when somethings bits cover your wind screen so bad you cant see. anyway managed to finish the journey home after a quick scan of the damage which didn't look too bad until the cold light of day . it could have been a hell of a lot worse but looking at it now i think this might end up being quite costly what with all the cracked pieces of plastic I can see behind the grill. insurance have passed it onto the underwriters and will just have to wait to get it booked in . by the way does anybody know what the sensor hanging out is as after scanning with OBDeleven I am not getting any fault codes even though it seems detached
20191126 1256511

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Looks like you were really lucky if you hit a deer that fast and it only caused what looks like superficial damage. Deer strikes are quite common over Cannock Chase where I live, I have had a few near misses myself over the years, They just fly out from the side of the road to cross. One of my friends hit one about 55mph and ended up in a ditch at the side of the road and wrote his car off, fortunately they were OK. That sensor is in the place where they usually mount the ambient outside temp sensor. It may be that.

Reactions: 45bvtc and george forbes
Wow, must've been scary mate and glad you're ok even if the car requires some repairs.
It's the things for others to remember, that deer rarely travel alone therefore if one runs across there's likely to be more behind it.
Hope you get things sorted :thumbs up:

Reactions: george forbes
I had a collision with a monk jack at 15mph Caused well over 3.5k of damage ! Did the pyro in the bonnet fire ?

Yellow connectors are to do with collision detection and the activation of airbags etc I belive

Sh1t happens mate as long as everyone is ok the rest is just plastic and metal. Insurance will sort that out that’s why we have it.
Remember my folks hitting one years ago the first one made it and second(bambi) didn’t. Hit it at around 25-30mph and cost almost 4 grand in damage. Cars are designed to fall apart on impact for pedestrian safety. It’s the bits you don’t see that’s the expensive bits.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and george forbes
I had a collision with a monk jack at 15mph Caused well over 3.5k of damage ! Did the pyro in the bonnet fire ?

Yellow connectors are to do with collision detection and the activation of airbags etc I belive
doesn't seem to have set of any of the safety systems as have scanned it and no codes

Sh1t happens mate as long as everyone is ok the rest is just plastic and metal. Insurance will sort that out that’s why we have it.
Remember my folks hitting one years ago the first one made it and second(bambi) didn’t. Hit it at around 25-30mph and cost almost 4 grand in damage. Cars are designed to fall apart on impact for pedestrian safety. It’s the bits you don’t see that’s the expensive bits.
thats what I'm thinking . what can't I see

had to send photographs along with the dash cam footage which contained rather a lot of effing and blinding to the underwriters so hopefully no problems on that front and I only have a £250 excess

Nearly hit a small one myself Sunday. Just came out of nowhere but luckily managed to stop just short of it.

Hit a badger in the A3 that went through the front right grille and wheel arch about £3k worth of damage by the time it was all fixed.

Frustrating as it gets recorded as a no fault but unrecovered cost on your insurance.

Main thing is everyone is ok. Car can be repaired.

wow lucky there mate, I was up around the Lochgilphead area a few years back in the S3 when one ran out in front of me, after that my eyes were scanning each side of the road for miles :) Like you say they just dart out.

had to send photographs along with the dash cam footage which contained rather a lot of effing and blinding to the underwriters so hopefully no problems on that front and I only have a £250 excess
Am I the only one that wants to see the footage???

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bells and Goner
wow lucky there mate, I was up around the Lochgilphead area a few years back in the S3 when one ran out in front of me, after that my eyes were scanning each side of the road for miles :) Like you say they just dart out.

not sure whether this will work using one drive but collision occurs about 1 min 51 sec
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...77!107193&parId=58FC01144B486E77!4648&o=OneUp

Reactions: Bryant1998 and S32B
P.S excuse the langauge
Thanks for sharing, I thought you were rather restrained to be honest, expecting a lot worse! One of those times where you think "If I had been 5 seconds later coming out of work" :( But yeah it could have flipped up and come through your screen which would have been a lot worse!

I had my headphones on whilst watching it and the thud made me jump!

I reckon you were very lucky. My daughter hit a monk deer ( on the edge of Windsor Great Park ! ) and the damage( back about 10 years ago) in her 8P Sportback and the damage was about the 3 grand mark - ten years ago. Glad you are OK … nasty experience for you though.

That's shocking; they just seemed to appear out of nowhere! It doesn't seem like you were going that fast either.

At least you are ok and the car can be repaired .
I agree you were very restrained when it happened …..

I would have been cursing a lot longer than those few seconds :wink:
At £250 excess it’s not worth dealing with. Send it to insurance and wait.

Should have pop it in boot and had venison steak for a few months.

At least balance the excess payment out.

Reactions: CHEZ, AlS3BE and TonkS3
Should have pop it in boot and had venison steak for a few months.

At least balance the excess payment out.

Think the law is the person who hits the deer isn’t allowed to pick it up but anyone behind is. At least that’s what I was told.

Reactions: Bryant1998
Lucky he didn't have to yank the corpse off his car; my friend was telling me his friend had to do that, very gory!!

Lucky he didn't have to yank the corpse off his car; my friend was telling me his friend had to do that, very gory!!

i would have phoned recovery and let them deal with that. I don’t deal with dead corpses:wink:

A friend of mine when we were teenagers had the original small Mini, he was going down a country lane wayyy too fast and hit a cow! The cow ended up going right over the car, smashing the windscreen and covering his small Mini in s-hit :D

my friends dad hit an escaped horse in his Coupe quattro when we were kids. Just as well there was nobody in passenger seat as thats where horse ended up!

Not good mate. Hopefully it was killed outright quickly. The car can be repaired and you walked out of it. Best outcome in the circumstances.

Reactions: KenL and george forbes
Big ouch. Sorry to see this.

Respect for sharing the video and credit for slowing so quickly at the last second.

As others have said - let insurance sort it.

I hit a pheasant at 80 in a mk 1 TT, ended up with new bumper, rad, washer bottle and light washer, stupid bird!!

I hit a pheasant at 80 in a mk 1 TT, ended up with new bumper, rad, washer bottle and light washer, stupid bird!!
Like the sarcasm, I've met a few stupid birds too:sly:

Reactions: CHEZ and TYb
yes the crazy speeds of 80mph...... or I could have lied and said 70.
well car goes in to get fixed this Thursday through my insurance, did wonder how the insurance would have reacted if the dash cam had shown I was speeding at the time and whether it would have given them an excuse not to cough up , anybody had any experience of this being the case in a no blame claim similar to mine ?

well car goes in to get fixed this Thursday through my insurance, did wonder how the insurance would have reacted if the dash cam had shown I was speeding at the time and whether it would have given them an excuse not to cough up , anybody had any experience of this being the case in a no blame claim similar to mine ?
I would have trimmed the bottom of the video so it didn’t show speed before sending it to insurance. Just in case.

Reactions: Bells
So car got picked up from my work place yesterday to go in for it's repair after my encounter with Scottish wildlife . courtesy car was dropped off for my entertainment . check my new ride .7923 suzuki attitude lf fr

Reactions: CHEZ, Bells and Goner
So car got picked up from my work place yesterday to go in for it's repair after my encounter with Scottish wildlife . courtesy car was dropped off for my entertainment . check my new ride .View attachment 194635

At least you don’t need to worry where you park it and someone trying to steal it.

Enjoy the temporary beast.