Decisions...RS3 or??

BMC

Reaction score
Hi All,

Currently in the process of deciding what to upgrade to from my current 2015 S1. I’ve decided I want something bigger and that is the only criteria thats needing met.
Everything else is completely up in the air.

Two cars that have stood out have been the RS3 Saloon and the S5. I am aware of the differences of these vehicles and they are tailored for different demographics however I am impressed about how both can be GT cruisers and B-Road thrashers all in the one package!

I am due to go to my local Audi in the coming week and test drive the two consecutively, however I would like some points and tips from you helpful people...

Sports exhaust on RS3- is there a huge difference between this and standard exhaust on the FL RS3? In terms of sound and theatre, that would be quite important for me. As much fun as my S1 was...it sounded like a Dyson.

S5- Is the abandoning of the S tronic DSG unit in favour of a single clutch unit a good move? Personally I love the instant and brutal upshifts that come from a DSG box and wouldn’t be sure on whether the ZF Auto could offer that same crispness.

S5- sound. From a quick look around some videos on YouTube I must say I am impressed with the grunt from the s5. In your opinion what sounds better...s5 or RS3? I am a grown man but sound is still oh so important to me, unfortunately.

And finally...which car would you rather have and why?

Appreciate your feedback, and go easy on me..it is my first post after all!!

RS>S

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jimojameso
I drove both. I much prefer the interior and options on the S5 (like that HUD!) but the RS3 was without a doubt the winner for me.

Acceleration was just brutal in the RS and I loved it, whereas I felt as though the S5 was aimed far more at being a comfortable cruiser - being really refined and somewhat floaty at times.

Different strokes, test drive both and see which you prefer! :grin:

Reactions: jimojameso
If it really is sound and theatre that you're after, then the RS3 is the only choice. S5 is a lovely car but RS cars are a massive step up in noise and drama.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, jimojameso and DW81
As someone who has owned both cars (S5 for 1year) and RS3 now for getting on 4 months, the RS3 wins in every single category bar, looks and comfort on a long distance drive, saying that the RS3 isn't exactly uncomfortable or ugly!

The noise in incomparable, the RS3 sounds incredible compared to most cars on the road not just the s5, although with the FL model this sound comes after around 1500 miles. Sports exhaust is a must unless you want to go for an aftermarket product.

The gearbox in the S5 was brilliant, it never caused me any issues even with hard driving, the only thing I would note is the 'kickdown' feature being less responsive for obvious reasons.

The car was a lot less dramatic to drive and in the corners felt less 'go karty' due to weight all round it was less fun. Still enjoyable, but I wouldn't even compare it to an S3 in this category.

Overall as you say both cars are GT Cruisers and B Road killers. However I would rate as follows:
S5 B Road - 6/10
S5 GT - 9/10
RS3 B Road - 10/10
RS3 GT - 7/10

GET AN RS3!

Reactions: DW81, D0C and Terminator x
I've had an S5 SB for the past 6 months or so and am changing it for a FLRS3.
Main reason the S5 is its far too big for my needs.
It does have instant get up and go and I don't find the 8 speed box a problem but its a bit "all or nothing" as the turbo comes in almost all the time.
Other than that its a lovely car, more of a GT though, mine is up for sale, its Navarra blue, very good value for money.

Hi All,

Currently in the process of deciding what to upgrade to from my current 2015 S1. I’ve decided I want something bigger and that is the only criteria thats needing met.
The killer question is - how much bigger? IMO the RS3 is perfect if there is just two of you, but if I had kids I would need a bigger car.
Two cars that have stood out have been the RS3 Saloon and the S5.
I have a PFL RS3 and also considered an S5 Sportback at that time. Ended up with the RS3. The S5 is slower and less fuel efficient so the only benefit would be more space, which I didn’t need.
S5- Is the abandoning of the S tronic DSG unit in favour of a single clutch unit a good move?
Apparently the ZF 8-speed has three clutches in it...
https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/...ars/cars_8_speed_automatic_transmission.shtml

The S5 is a lot more up to date technology-wise than the PFL RS3 I had before and the FL wasn't available to order at the time.
Agree for two people S5 is just too big.

Personally I would pick an S4 over an S5.

Subtle differences too - lights look more aggressive on the S4 & 4 door saloon variant available.

Hard call though between the two.

Interior & Tech on the 4/5 is bank up to date but the RS has been recently refreshed (face lift) and has the added performance / drama.

I've had a previous gen S5 coupe prior to getting my curent RS3 - so kinda had both.

I would agree with Snake. I have a 2016 RS3 and just love it. Have just sold a 66 plate new model A4 Tdi quattro Avant. The Tech in the A/S 4/5 is light years ahead of the RS3 even facelift. ... However for Smiles per mile the RS3 is unbeatable.... so much so that I might even keep mine when the RS4 arrives in a month or so. The S5 I borrowed for 3 days was rather underwhelming after an RS.

I would agree with Snake. I have a 2016 RS3 and just love it. Have just sold a 66 plate new model A4 Tdi quattro Avant. The Tech in the A/S 4/5 is light years ahead of the RS3 even facelift. ... However for Smiles per mile the RS3 is unbeatable.... so much so that I might even keep mine when the RS4 arrives in a month or so. The S5 I borrowed for 3 days was rather underwhelming after an RS.

I test drove a S4 Avant before I bought the G7.5R and then the FL RS3 can’t honestly say the Tech is much different if I’m honest.

Virtual cockpit does all I ever need.

Yes, agree, you can have so much of Tech., VC is the big change, I'm not interested in APPS and audio stuff, it's a car not a computer.
Reason Im going for one is the new engine, updated gearbox and Haldex tweaks. Hope Im not going to be disappointed.

Yes, agree, you can have so much of Tech., VC is the big change, I'm not interested in APPS and audio stuff, it's a car not a computer.
Reason Im going for one is the new engine, updated gearbox and Haldex tweaks. Hope Im not going to be disappointed.

I think not !

Reactions: Terminator x
Mines a low spec car too, upgraded wheels and Privacy.
I'm getting the Ali mirrors wrapped in carbon, the rest is mainly black apart anyway.
Will I miss all the gizmos?

As you say these are very different cars so asking for comparisons/opinions is not going to help IMO. The comparisons should be S3 or RS3 and S5 or RS5. What do you want from a car, how do you drive it, is performance or looks, or comfort most important to you. Do you regularly carry more than 2 people in your car? Ask yourself these question and then go for some test drives.

Reactions: DW81
Mines a low spec car too, upgraded wheels and Privacy.
I'm getting the Ali mirrors wrapped in carbon, the rest is mainly black apart anyway.
Will I miss all the gizmos?

Low spec makes no difference it will still go like stink.

Thanks teslaboy, infact it should be faster as lighter without all the optional glitter added.

Thanks for your replies.

Both test drove today. RS3 without a sports exhaust and it still made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. S5 would be a superb GT car and its cabin was refined and in general was just a lovely place to be.

However, to me the RS3 interior still far outweighs its current rivals- M2, A45, Golf R et al.

So with that...my order for my RS3 Sportback has been placed.

Reactions: Evotion, Pinky1959, DW81 and 4 others
Is it a factory order, when do they expect delivery? My dealer had no allocation and order ahead of me so Im getting a stock car instead.

Thanks for your replies.

Both test drove today. RS3 without a sports exhaust and it still made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. S5 would be a superb GT car and its cabin was refined and in general was just a lovely place to be.

However, to me the RS3 interior still far outweighs its current rivals- M2, A45, Golf R et al.

That's great news, you will not regret it. Are you going Pano Roof, one of my favourite options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great news, you will not regret it. Are you going Pano Roof, one of my favourite options

Funny how different people's opinions can be on spec. I was slightly underwhelmed by the pano roof. If it was free, sure, I'd have it. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I'd much rather have the sports exhaust to hear that glorious 5-pot a little more, but appreciate you're not so bothered with it.

Funny how different people's opinions can be on spec. I was slightly underwhelmed by the pano roof. If it was free, sure, I'd have it. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I'd much rather have the sports exhaust to hear that glorious 5-pot a little more, but appreciate you're not so bothered with it.

You definitely need a sports exhaust on the FL RS3. My PFL with standard exhaust is actually louder than the facelift with Sport Exhaust.
I love Pano Roof, more light when closed and air when open. Really sets of the interior.

Plus you can have it on tilt and get the full soundtrack!

Reactions: Evotion, Ed_rx7 and RGBARGEE
Thanks for your replies.

Correct choice....RS3 was always going to win you over. What spec have you done for?

Hi All,

Two cars that have stood out have been the RS3 Saloon and the S5. I am aware of the differences of these vehicles and they are tailored for different demographics however I am impressed about how both can be GT cruisers and B-Road thrashers all in the one package!

I am due to go to my local Audi in the coming week and test drive the two consecutively, however I would like some points and tips from you helpful people...

Sports exhaust on RS3- is there a huge difference between this and standard exhaust on the FL RS3? In terms of sound and theatre, that would be quite important for me. As much fun as my S1 was...it sounded like a Dyson.

S5- Is the abandoning of the S tronic DSG unit in favour of a single clutch unit a good move? Personally I love the instant and brutal upshifts that come from a DSG box and wouldn’t be sure on whether the ZF Auto could offer that same crispness.

S5- sound. From a quick look around some videos on YouTube I must say I am impressed with the grunt from the s5. In your opinion what sounds better...s5 or RS3? I am a grown man but sound is still oh so important to me, unfortunately.

And finally...which car would you rather have and why?

Appreciate your feedback, and go easy on me..it is my first post after all!!

Hi mate

I hace the 2017 S5 sportback
I love it
In terms of sound i heard an Rs3 revving on the shell four court the other day and both my kids and i thought the S5 has a better grunt and sound overall

Im not too happy with the throttle response tbh

I think the lack of DSG is noticeable. Whether Audi had a choice or not for the DSG i dont know but I would have preferred it in mine.

Looks wise i feel the S5 turns more heads is less common and looks better (just my opinion lol)

Less common?

I have yet to see another FL RS3 on the road and have only seen 4 PFLs in the last 2 years. The S5 is everywhere - 3 on my road alone.

Less common?

I have yet to see another FL RS3 on the road and have only seen 4 PFLs in the last 2 years. The S5 is everywhere - 3 on my road alone.

Its probably where I live
I see an rs3 on every other corner lol

I just hardly see any RS3's near me. They are very rare. Although I did see a lovely Sepang blue 16 plate with black pack and red calipers. This was in Stratford-upon-Avon. If I could go back in time, I think I'd pick that colour over my Panther black.

I just hardly see any RS3's near me. They are very rare. Although I did see a lovely Sepang blue 16 plate with black pack and red calipers. This was in Stratford-upon-Avon. If I could go back in time, I think I'd pick that colour over my Panther black.
Panther black is a stunning colour especially in direct sunlight, and that’s coming from a sepang owner:sunglasses:

Reactions: T-800
I agree in some rare circumstances it can look stunning with a purple/brown tinge. Most of the time it just looks dull and way duller than Phantom Black/Mythos black. It is also a lot harder to paint match apparently.

S5 for me. I'm 43 now and the RS3 hatchback is just a little bit the younger mans car. I've tried one (Facelift) it's got it's good points but a little boy racerish for me. The S5 feels a little more grown up (Obviously the sportback is the one for me).

Brutal upshifts, maybe about 20 years ago I'd care for these. There are diffenreces between the 2 gearboxes but as I'm not into trackdays it's being a little picky to try and separate them in real world use.

I'd hoon around in an RS3 but chill and swan around in the S5 :welcoming:

Really Simon ... you are old for your age! I was born in the 50's and love my RS3.. Who needs to be grown up when it comes to cars.
I thought the S5 performance was pretty pathetic after the RS3 when I borrowed one for a few days back in the summer.

Reactions: Evotion, Rs1, Snake Pliskin and 3 others
I’d agree with Simon to be fair.

The RS3 hatch is aimed at the younger crowd, it’s a hot hatch at the end of the day and these are aimed at people primarily in the 18-35 category.

I’m 34 and discounted the RS3 hatch due to the younger boy racer image it has. RS3 Saloon is a little bit more “grown up”, it’s not a hot hatch, it’s a fast Saloon and appeals to an older crowd.

You won’t see many 21yr olds driving S5’s, but you will see plenty of them driving RS3’s, A45’s etc. So at 43, the S5 is the more grown up choice to be fair.

Just another opinion though. In reality, there’s no right or wrong, a pensioner driving an RS3 or a teenager driving an S8

Reactions: Simonb1975
^^ totally agree.
When I see a popping/banging Audi RS with a driver say 40+ i do sigh a little.........it doesn't look good.
I speak as a 45yr old who, like some above, would rather have the S5, bit more soffistication ;)

Reactions: Simonb1975
Wow such ageist posts. Drive what you want when you want imho. As for RS3 being "everywhere" total nonsense, I've seen less than a handful on the road in the 2 years+ I've owned mine. As for youngsters in a £50k car, yeah right!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: zaka7, Krash, Rs1 and 7 others
What a load of tosh! Ageism at its worst!! We all have different needs for our cars. I have had a boring barge Audi Avant quattro Diesel for the daily stuff, The RS3 has been a really good fun car and I will be sorry to see her go. Sad to see you guys putting people into boxes because of age and there was nothing wrong with the pensioner wanting an RSQ3 surely. (I am not an OAP by the way). When I was in my early 20's I had the contemporary equivalent of an S5 but when kids came along we had to buy family cars too but always kept a sporty model. If you are into cars you are into cars and age has **** all to do with it. As for a saloon being more grown up than a hatch??? What utter tosh in my opinion. So is an A4 more grown up than an A5?

Reactions: zaka7, Rs1, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
Age is just a number and life is to short, your along time dead. I’m in my thirties and absolutely love down shifting and scaring the **** out of folk. It’s the inner boy in me that I never want to lose because before your know it’s all over.

Reactions: Rs1, Snake Pliskin, Terminator x and 1 other person
There's a few pipe and slippers crowd on here by the sound of it ! You're as old as you feel.
I'm 48 but been told I look 38 !! Lol
Got my RS3 sportback for practically. The saloon is useless for Ikea trips, camping trips, moving stuff trips pretty much any trips requiring versatility.
Always wanted an RS as had a number of S's of the years.
The RS4 would have been nice but it way way too big and a fair bit pricier.
Each to their own.

Reactions: PanamaS3, RGBARGEE, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
There's a few pipe and slippers crowd on here by the sound of it ! You're as old as you feel.
I'm 48 but been told I look 38 !! Lol
Got my RS3 sportback for practically. The saloon is useless for Ikea trips, camping trips, moving stuff trips pretty much any trips requiring versatility.
Always wanted an RS as had a number of S's of the years.
The RS4 would have been nice but it way way too big and a fair bit pricier.
Each to their own.
Amen to that.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, T-800 and teslaboy