Decent ebc for my uses?

StaceyS3

Reaction score
Before everyone says it I know i know I won't be using an ebc to control my boost as such but will be using it to cap it and that way the n75 should deal with all the part throttle stuff

I want one that can have a couple of settings and easily adjustable and not to fussed about ramp speeds etc as n75 should hopefully still control this

I'm currently running about 20/21 psi and would like to have a setting around the 17 mark for possibly track and everyday use but could then flick it back to full power if needed ;)

Also would be nice to have a very low boost setting or valet mode etc that would be almost like actuator pressure?

I would like something that is fairly decent and that will hold a decent consistent level of boost but don't want to spend the earth, I had been eying up greddy profec b spec 2 and gizzmo as prawn has recently installed but was going to ask opinions before I shell out :)

Bill has had good results with the Turbosmart e-boost controller... have used Apexi AVCr before too but they are quite pricy for what you want... I have used the Greddy Profec B too and that works well...

If I was to do it myself I would be tempted by the Turbosmart...

<tuffty/>

Cheers Paul have just now looked at the e-boost and definately now one more in the line up to consider ;)

One thing I forgot to say is I may eventually be running the controller linked to the WMi controller to kill boost if the WMi ever goes into fault or run out of meth and noticed that the turbo smart did have that function, so will hopefully be able to dial in some timing ;)

What ever you get Stacey, make sure it's got an open look control option so it can vary the duty cycle.

Some cheap ones run on a fixed duty cycle, and don't adjust the duty to account for minor changes or boost dropping off at the top end.

Most good ones should have an option to run a target boost, whereby the map sensor in the ebc monitors boost, and if it's dropping off at the top end it'll make minor DC adjustments to sustain your requested level.

My gizzmo has this, and I believe the turbo-smart Bill has does something similar.

personally, I think the greddy one looks dated somehow. The turbosmart one looks good, but it was the 6 settings of the gizzmo, and the price of just £200 that sold it for me.

You can run just 10% DC with very low gain, or just switch it off and it'll be actuator pressure only, which is what I'll be using in the wet, then a single press of a button scrolls through the 6 presets.

I plumbed mine in in parallel to the N75 so like you say, the N75 will control part throttle and the ebc will cap the peak :)

5da14218.jpg

fa2afb6c.jpg

How easy is the gizzmo to switch between boost levels as its gotta be idiot proof for the other half and would like to change the settings on the move if an opertunity of a quick play appears? ;)

I have read up on it and seen the scramble function as you have mentioned in your thread and that certinally seems interesting but not sure if i would need it?

But the only downside is it doesn't seem to mention of an extenally supplied boost lowering function (feed to the wmi controller which grounds in event of a fault) as i would be pretty much be sold on the gizzy as i ideally would like 3 different boost levels, actuator or very low for wmi fault or when leaving the car with someone, about 70-80% for everyday and track to keep egts lower then 100% (ie n75 mapped level) for the odd quick play
Suppose could use the scramble like yourself for overtakes for quick 100% burst to overtake :)

Switching between boost levels is a single button press mate. Press it once to move onto the next setting, and the setting number and boost level flash up on the screen. Or you can wire in the remote button and use them to change to the next setting as well.

As for a boost cut function for the WMI, you can just wire that directly into the N75 so it cuts the N75 circuit when the WMI triggers a fault/low level condition.

That's how my mate Dan had his AEM WMI kit setup, when the fluid got low and it triggered, it just cut the earth on the N75 and instantly returned it to actuator pressure.