decatting

Jay

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the cat from the standard 1.8t A3 exhaust?
Are there any benefits of doing this?

In short...
Yes and not really :)

Get a 3" downpipe and 200 cell cat instead...

<tuffty/>

I want a 200 cel cat to fit with my 3 inch downpipe ... any ideas???

Jay, I'm guessing as it's a 5 door it'll be an ARZ or AUM engine? if so, then you'll have a post cat lamda, which won't like the lack of cat and throw an engine light.

if it's an AGU engine, then you can decat it just fine.

It's all very well saying get a downpipe and sports cat, but at £100 for a 3'' DP/decat, vs £450+ for a milltek dp/sports cat, I think it's worth a bit of hasstle once a year come MOT time

My 210hp S3, does this have a post cat o2 censor?? As a local garage do my MOT's so i have no trouble MOT'ing it and would rather use a decat pipe over a sports cat if possible?

I think the noise from a decat'd 3 inch down pipe at full chat is great but... Vosa have pulled me twice. Its a pain in the ****.
I want to fit a sports cat into the decat section of the downpipe... looking as we speak

Its not the mot you want to worry about its the road side inspection! You dont really gain anything from decatting other than saving money just go for the Pipewerx DP and cat

my down pipe is a pipewerx item but it came to me cheap but was the decat version.
The MOT isnt realy a problem ... most people know somebody who know somebody but mr vosa doesnt give 2 hoots if you have an mot... he does care that there is no cat under the car .

Yeah but there's not an awful lot they can do about it other than send you to an MOT approved garage to have it tested and fixed with a certificate which you will have to present to the police within 7 days i think. And it's the same scenario, if you know someone who knows someone you're pretty sorted.

And how often is it you have VOSA doing checks on your vehicle? And why are you in that position in the first place??

do they just do a visual inspection? or emissions test? Iv heard of decatted cars of a certain age still being within the limits even with a decat. This is why im not bother decatting and no way paying for a sports (pussy) cat, unless mine goes.

I once read that it cause more harm manufacturing catalytic converters then they will ever help stop. Dunno if this is just conspiricy theory or not

What exhaust options are there for the AUM engine. and what sort of prices am I looking at?

I've seen 3" downpipes start from £100 upto £500. Whats the difference between them?

cheers

Yeah but there's not an awful lot they can do about it other than send you to an MOT approved garage to have it tested and fixed with a certificate which you will have to present to the police within 7 days i think. And it's the same scenario, if you know someone who knows someone you're pretty sorted.

And how often is it you have VOSA doing checks on your vehicle? And why are you in that position in the first place??

Erm... ive been made to take the car to a VOSA main garage to have the emisions and cat function tested... if it fails the car is deemed ilegal to be used on the road... Not just the get it signed by a friendly mot man to sort it,
Vosa inspections are not un heard of and they will become more common place .
Why am i in what position ??

Is it the same for the audi TT?
audi TT products are more availabe here at this side of the world lol

Erm... ive been made to take the car to a VOSA main garage to have the emisions and cat function tested... if it fails the car is deemed ilegal to be used on the road... Not just the get it signed by a friendly mot man to sort it,
Vosa inspections are not un heard of and they will become more common place .
Why am i in what position ??

Wow this happened to me once, VOSA checked my car and done an emissions test, it failed as it was decatted and they gave me a producer to get it fixed within 7 days. I know a lot of people that have had this recently but never heard of what you experienced?

Guess the cops/VOSA are different in defferent areas etc

interesting read.....

I've only ever seen the VOSA roadside checks once, and wasn't stopped, didn't realise it could be that severe!

my old AGU actually got through an emissions test without a cat at all, but apparently they had to get it red hot to do so, not sure how this works though to be honest.....