decat and intercooler

24styles

#teamsolar
Reaction score
had my milltek decat and wagner intercooler fitted yesterday and today the managment light is on....im guessing this is down to the decat? its in for mapping next month i guess they will just map the light out?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Yes the map should sort that out an alternative is a spacer fitted to the O2 sensor on the DP but the map is the most robust method.

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly
had my milltek decat and wagner intercooler fitted yesterday and today the managment light is on....im guessing this is down to the decat? its in for mapping next month i guess they will just map the light out?
O2 sensor from eBay will work fine, mine's been on since January and the light hasn't come back on. I bought this one - cheap and cheerful but if it ain't broke don't fix it (AKA no need to buy a £40 just because it has a fancy name engraved on it!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281837588022

O2 sensor from eBay will work fine, mine's been on since January and the light hasn't come back on. I bought this one - cheap and cheerful but if it ain't broke don't fix it (AKA no need to buy a £40 just because it has a fancy name engraved on it!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281837588022
Yes the map should sort that out an alternative is a spacer fitted to the O2 sensor on the DP but the map is the most robust method.
Yes its what @batch had recently too.
cheers, i will probably just wait for mapping, its booked in for the 20th may

How was the fitment of the Wagner intercooler?

I fitted my Wagner and was a little time consuming as you have to see where it touches the inside bumper.

I used a dremel and was fine.

Reactions: -Lewis- and Rob2k68
I fitted my Wagner and was a little time consuming as you have to see where it touches the inside bumper.

I used a dremel and was fine.

I phoned up vrsnorthampton and they informed me that there was no need to cut anything and it was a direct fit. What bits do you need to cut to get it to fit correctly? I will be purchasing one soon so any info to aid the fitment of it would be great.

Can i aks why you chose wagner over forge motorsport or Airtec as the wagner is a fair bit dearer and I believe the Forge Motorsport one is the best form what ive read ?

It was trial and error really so I couldn't specify where exactly to cut.

Well they may have changed them now but all I will say is I had to cut mine and I changed the radiator to the ribbed one that Wagner recommend.

I went with Wagner as they are very good and I wasn't concerned on the price.

I phoned up vrsnorthampton and they informed me that there was no need to cut anything and it was a direct fit. What bits do you need to cut to get it to fit correctly? I will be purchasing one soon so any info to aid the fitment of it would be great.

I think VRS are some way linked to Wagner maybe an authorised reseller or something so I'd have no issue getting them to do the installation.

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly, jungle650 and MikeParkin
It is a direct replacement but it is larger and cutting of the inner front panel is required for it to fit on the s3, the golf r however is more of a straightforward fit

Reactions: Rob2k68 and MikeParkin
Can i aks why you chose wagner over forge motorsport or Airtec as the wagner is a fair bit dearer and I believe the Forge Motorsport one is the best form what ive read ?
Wagner has a proven higher flow rate compared to the forge one, forge is good for 500hp, if your looking for more power then the Wagner is the obvious choice, I've had both

Reactions: Forbzeeee, jungle650, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Who is mapping the car?

management light has come on after launching it tonight for the first time after mapping.....bit annoying as i was going to santa pod tommorow to have a play :(

@Leigh Dreyer I believe the Wagner IC has the biggest core volume from all the aftermarket IC's and also is the lightest....I just can't find the comparison I saw once proving this but will try to. However, if you're not too bothered about a few extra pounds of weight and slightly bigger core size, then go for the IC that is less of a PIA to install which is where I think the APR one scores highly.

management light has come on after launching it tonight for the first time after mapping.....bit annoying as i was going to santa pod tommorow to have a play :(

Not good, what sort of gains did you achieve with the mapping done at MRC.
What code did it log?

Not good, what sort of gains did you achieve with the mapping done at MRC.
What code did it log?

405bhp 417lbft

it was a sticking turbo actuator, cleared the code abd been fine ever since.

405bhp 417lbft

Nice results, looking to get mine done at either MRC or Unicorn Motorsport when the time comes.
Glad to hear it wasn't anything to serious.

Reactions: 24styles and Rob2k68
405bhp 417lbft

Glad you’re sorted.

Is this a serviceable part or is the fix to replace it ?

Glad you’re sorted.

Is this a serviceable part or is the fix to replace it ?

just cleared the code seems to have dont the trick at the moment, not sure wot will be next if it was to happen again. launched it a few times today and no problems.

My actuator was sticking and the V band had come loose and span round which had the bulk of it stopping the actuator functioning correctly. Might be worth having a look.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and 24styles
My actuator was sticking and the V band had come loose and span round which had the bulk of it stopping the actuator functioning correctly. Might be worth having a look.

will look into that, thanks!

Reactions: MikeParkin and Rob2k68
There’s not really much on here about de cats, was just wondering... my car is currently APR stage 1 map and cold air intake, if I was to put a de cat downpipe on will it have to go back on the rollers and have the map altered ?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s not really much on here about de cats, was just wondering... my car is currently APR stage 1 map and cold air intake, if I was to put a de cat downpipe on will it have to go back on the rollers and have the map altered ?

Cheers

It wouldn’t be necessary for it to go on the rollers as such, It’s not a requirement for stage 1 so the O2 sensor my not be mapped out by APR, on stage 2 I would of thought it is as it is on my Revo stage 2 software.

Give the place that mapped it a shout pal.

It wouldn’t be necessary for it to go on the rollers as such, It’s not a requirement for stage 1 so the O2 sensor my not be mapped out by APR, on stage 2 I would of thought it is as it is on my Revo stage 2 software.

Give the place that mapped it a shout pal.

Yeah that makes sense thinking about it, I’ll get on to awesome gti see what they’re saying, cheers

Reactions: MikeParkin
Yeah that makes sense thinking about it, I’ll get on to awesome gti see what they’re saying, cheers

I don't think it's a good idea to run a de-cat without the correct map. I think it's to do with back pressure.

I don't think it's a good idea to run a de-cat without the correct map. I think it's to do with back pressure.

Just been looking on APR website and the price for upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2 is only £120 so I may as well just go for that!

Reactions: MikeParkin
Just been looking on APR website and the price for upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2 is only £120 so I may as well just go for that!

Yeah, I was wondering why you would stay at stage one with a de cat. You may need to consider a clutch or stronic upgrade though.

Yeah, I was wondering why you would stay at stage one with a de cat. You may need to consider a clutch or stronic upgrade though.

TCU upgrade is deffo on my list, just the pennies start to add up. I’m sure there’s a low torque file if you don’t have the imtercooler and tcu upgrade.

I am having a problem though, when I hit first gear when stopping and it starts to rev higher than it should be. Does it probably 6 times out out 10. Also loss of boost at time so I Think it’s the PCV valve? Might need to get a PCV delete... Gear changes aren’t smooth either shifting up 4-6, feels like a hard change like it’s lumpy.. only happens at certain speeds. Car was in a few months for DSG service, mentioned it to Audi and they said they can’t see a problem. Went for a full service last month, said I’m still having the bad feet changes and they said it was fine again, I know for a fact it’s not. Need to get someone to look at it really and not Audi cause they ain’t a clue

TCU upgrade is deffo on my list, just the pennies start to add up. I’m sure there’s a low torque file if you don’t have the imtercooler and tcu upgrade.

I am having a problem though, when I hit first gear when stopping and it starts to rev higher than it should be. Does it probably 6 times out out 10. Also loss of boost at time so I Think it’s the PCV valve? Might need to get a PCV delete... Gear changes aren’t smooth either shifting up 4-6, feels like a hard change like it’s lumpy.. only happens at certain speeds. Car was in a few months for DSG service, mentioned it to Audi and they said they can’t see a problem. Went for a full service last month, said I’m still having the bad feet changes and they said it was fine again, I know for a fact it’s not. Need to get someone to look at it really and not Audi cause they ain’t a clue

Audi will always say "thats fine" you need to get the car running right before chucking money at making it go faster. If it was me id be booking it in at MRC or similar.

The only time my car has visited Audi was when my pal serviced it on the first two services. They really don’t give a monkeys and I think monkeys know more !

Reactions: Starry
Gonna get it into awesome gti soon as I can, haldex needs doing as well and I know they take the filter out and clean it out unlike Audi.