Dealer sticker residue

D3mon

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Any ideas on how to get rid of this?
Must be some kind of residue from the forecourt sales sticker. Most evident on misty mornings, It's just about visible in the daytime.

IMG 0153

Tar and glue remover should shift that, although it would probably remove any wax/sealant too if any has been applied so you need to re-apply.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I've not really used anything on the windscreen other than AG Glass Polish and Fast Glass. What's everyone using these days?

I tried a magic eraser last and didn't even touch it. Will go at it with tar remover today and possibly even some clay for full effect. Weird thing is there's nothing visible or even a perceptible change in texture on the glass surface.

This will sound mad but WD-40.

Reactions: laudavis and Gary pa28
Razor blade. If it a lot then put some tar/glue remover or thiners on with a rag first. Then as said reapply what ever is on glass for protection.

It looks a little pitted (hard to see in any pics) and if it is you'll feel it as you pass the blade over it. If it's that then new screen or a screen crack guy should be able to build it up flush with resin.

Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover didn't touch it. Hitting it today with the WD40 and the wire wool.

Try meths................ or cellulose thinners (keep it off the seals and paintwork) as a last resort. WD40 is silicon based so you might have trouble removing all the residue from glass.

Just done WD40 and wire wool. It has caused some scratches (viewable only from the inside it seems) so hoping not to see that sticker shape in tomorrow mornings mist.

If wire wool scratched ya glass there is something severely wrong or it's been resin repaired. Was wire wool and not a metal scouring ball?

It was one of those kitchen scourer doodads (but not the one that comes full of pink soap). More metal ribbons than actual fine wire. Probably not the best choice in hindsight. Hopefully will have got the job done.

If you have scratched it, get someone who knows about detailing to run over it with a rayon glass pad.

If you have scratched it, get someone who knows about detailing to run over it with a rayon glass pad.

Yeah, done it for 15 years and hate it! Takes forever and don't always work :( They can shift marring and light scratches given time and patience.........

Argh. It's back this morning. Will try something white spirits maybe when I have some.

Weird thing is, I went in with AG Intensive Tar remover early on and it didn't touch it. It certainly smells quite 'intensive' so I'm not so sure now that it's a problem on the surface at all. I've not done a good claying with it yet. May yield results, may just indicate that its something more problematic.

I wouldn't have thought clay would get it. The only thing I can think of is the car has been in the car lot a long time and the sun has got to the laminate and protected by the sticker? Very rare but can happen.....

Car only 18 months old, so can't think that would/could be the case even. Vexing.

Agreed, can't be that. Have you given the inside of the glass a clean as some dealer stickers are not stickers they sort static cling on the inside and can leave moisture residue?

Reckon I'll go glass-cleaning-crazy today all around and see if it helps. :gun2:

Only really bad inside windows I've had was a builders van so nothing harsh on the inside. Try a spray type glass cleaner with cloth to remove. If there is anything more 'troublesome' on the inside you should feel the cloth drag whilst doing it then you'll have to concentrate on those areas :)

Weird thing is, I went in with AG Intensive Tar remover early on and it didn't touch it. It certainly smells quite 'intensive' so I'm not so sure now that it's a problem on the surface at all. I've not done a good claying with it yet. May yield results, may just indicate that its something more problematic.
If something like Auto Finesse Obltarate won't shift it I would move onto something like CarPro IronX
http://www.carpro.uk.com/iron-x-500ml/

Barring that I would be returning to the supplying Dealer of your car

Could be, is car dealership near a train station? If not, prolly ironx not going to help :(

If you have just bought the car Take it back to the dealers and get them to sort it ....