Dealer Staff Car

The_Ironist

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience buying one?

What are views on them?

Looking at used S3 Saloons and in an ideal world, 1 private owner with low mileage.

One has popped up but was a dealer staff car they can use for 6 months or so at a time. At 18 months old I’m guessing it’s had minimum 2-3 staff use it and possibly some demos.

I imagine they get some abuse and running in may have been ignored which is making me a bit apprehensive.

My S3 was 6 months old when I got it. Was the ex-HR directors car. Plus side of this was it only had 5k miles on it so it shouldn't have been "ragged".
I'd say it's no different to buying a normal used car, trouble with this type of car is who'd own one and not floor it from time to time? I'd say the car is built to cope with it mind.

Touch wood I'm on 22k miles now and not had any issues with it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn and alpesh26
Hmm, personally I wouldn't touch it, I don't look at demo cars either - I'm sterotyping of course but short journeys and not properly warmed up before hoofing about.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Matt Titanium and loftylad
Mines a dealer staff car, bought it with 5k on the clock and 5 months old. Had some extras on it which made it more appealing. A mate of mine works for Audi and the engines are run in on a bench apparantly so no need for the running in period anymore. You still have the remainder of the warranty on it too

I agree with @Adam14, the car was built to be floored a bit

Mines a dealer staff car, bought it with 5k on the clock and 5 months old. Had some extras on it which made it more appealing. A mate of mine works for Audi and the engines are run in on a bench apparantly so no need for the running in period anymore. You still have the remainder of the warranty on it too

I agree with @Adam14, the car was built to be floored a bit

The engines are tested to max RPM I believe and the run in doesn't matter as much now. I bought my S3 used and I believe ex demo. Only concern is the demo cars are driven hard when the engine isn't warm but had no issues so far myself.

Reactions: alpesh26
I had one that the dealer finance guy had for six months, was totally fine.

A mate of mine works for Audi and the engines are run in on a bench apparantly so no need for the running in period anymore.
Just ignore what the owners manual says then. :innocent:
Nobody reads them anyway. :D

Reactions: Sparks43
I doubt it’s been loved by anyone but if it’s had all relevant services and has a service / check over before you buy it, it should be worth looking at. I’d be checking over the bodywork / paintwork and internally with a magnifying glass as the staff don’t care about them. We’ve just been given a “loan car” A5 (which I’m adamant is actually a staff car) after Audi scratched one of my alloys. It is one of the most disgusting cars I’ve sat in. Stank of cigarettes, seats covered in mud and dog hair everywhere. Stains and mud all over the dash. I’ve cleaned the car inside and out just to be able to use it. Sad huh.

521E4E1D 0182 4DE8 99B3 A772B0545161

Wouldn't worry about the engine, too many people get too worried about engines nowadays despite having ridiculously low tolerances and modern oils that can stand up to all sorts of abuse, on a mass produced engine do you not think the manufacturer would have blatted it to an inch of its life in testing? In the factories engines are red lined within the first minute of being started for the first time. Engines would rather rev than labour.
I would be more worried about the interior.

Reactions: alpesh26
Ignore posts go see the car for yourself..........make up your on mind........every car is different that's been pre - owned by Audi if the cars good deals good go with simple as.....ABC

Ps never ask a forums opinion on car buying

Reactions: Kondax, Reggieboy71, Ron240 and 2 others
Got to be a brave person to buy an ex demo IMHO

Both my Father & Brother were in the motor trade for years. They sold new, used & finished off in their own business selling used

Seeing how they both drove new & used company cars was appalling & I never sickened of telling em both either

My Dads fave 'trick' was 1st to 4th gear & then sometimes without a clutch ***
Brother was just as bad. He was continually blowing new cars up with his bad driving

Once incident still makes me laugh now. My Dad was my Bro's Sales Manager & my Bro had just blown another car up, so Dad takes the right to a Company Car off him & makes him get a bus to work for a fortnight. Bro never did blow another new car up after that

I'm, going back to the late 70's & 80's here

I can't imagine the latest breed of 'Sales Executive' having any more vehicle sympathy nowadays, seeing the quality of driving at my local BMW dealership

As always, just my opinion of course ... :hi:

Reactions: Ron240
But that is the case for any second hand (or even brand new) car!
For 20years I caught the boat from Calais where they used to race from one end of the dock to the other pulling handbrake turns when loading onto the ferries to the UK. Vast majority of cars today are delivered with 20-30miles which common sense suggests are the most important in an engine's life and do you really think they are all mollycoddled? Even if they are restricted until PDI..........wonder what happens next.
Mate of mine had a very expensive performance Jag, blatted from cold every single day yet did mega miles no dramas.
A3/4/5/6/7 is a mass produced car, designed & engineered very well, just use it.

Reactions: Henda, alpesh26 and Bristle Hound
I bought an ex demo car several years ago and it was fine. Just make sure you check it over properly.

On the flip side, last time I visited my Audi dealer, the service dept chap was bragging how he'd driven a 200km trip in a way too fast time in one of the staff cars... My car won't be going there again hahahhaa!

I love the "who has read or what is a manual"... I do!!! Why? it has tons of info on how to operate the car. MMI set ups etc. what is the star button on the right steering wheel control?... where is the emergency release for the fuel flap....type of oil to use. etc, etc.
I could go on and on but the fact is some people are bone lazy and then ask a forum for the answer..:rtfm:

Reactions: GW1, testcard, Jassyo06 and 6 others
I did with my Q2. Prices are super expensive in Switzerland and mine would have cost 60k so started looking at ex-demo examples. I got it with 20% off new price and was less than a year old. It came with loads of options, was immaculate and had all the extra warranty options ticked. I would 100% go the same route again. The dealer also looked after me a little more i think opposed to buying 2nd hand or new as the cars condition is a representation of them and how they treated their car. One thing, Swiss values are very different to some UK dealers so perhaps you should go on that too.

Bought a staff s3 with good spec from Nottingham Audi , 3 month old , very good price, saved 20 percent off list price , was told the staff have to look after the cars otherwise they get fined for dints marks etc , plus if your planning on keeping for 2-3 years you warranty covers most of that anyway . Just have a good check on the physical condition before buying , ours was a wierd one as it was on sale but still
In use , we agreed in principle to buy 2 weeks before car was available . Deal wasn’t set in stone as technically your buying it unseen and if it’s in a different condition to when you viewed it you can get out of the deal

I would say it’s pot luck especially with demo/staff cars.
First outing in a demo s3, which was the salesman staff car, I launched it half a dozen times. Haven’t even launched my own one yet and that been 6 months since I got it. It’s funny how they know which roads to take these cars on.
Some are looked after some are not. It’s like any used cars there’s no guarantee. Seen dealers before take their fast cars on track for special charity type events or corporate jolly as I would call it.
Take it for a spin and if it’s no good look for another.

Agreed, went to test drive an S5 at a different dealership and the salesman absolutely floored it to about 80 in a 60. So very much pot luck, but same with anything. I wouldn't be put off by it being an ex demo, do a thorough inspection first.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

All relevant points above.

Can only speak on my one expirence on going to view a car used by one of the staff at an Audi dealership in Yorkshire. Salesman took me to see it and there were beer bottles in the front, salesman was shocked. Needless to say I didn’t take my business with this dealer any further.

I hear other positive comments about this specific dealer on this forum so perhaps just bad luck.

All relevant points above.

Can only speak on my one expirence on going to view a car used by one of the staff at an Audi dealership in Yorkshire. Salesman took me to see it and there were beer bottles in the front, salesman was shocked. Needless to say I didn’t take my business with this dealer any further.

I hear other positive comments about this specific dealer on this forum so perhaps just bad luck.

Most have at least 2 years warranty so nothing much to worry about. Only thing thats not covered are brakes or clutches but most if not all facelifts are dsg boxes.