Dealer clean or not to clean.

What did you do?

• Let the dealer do it and then get a third party detailer to do it (to make a better job/fix swirl.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brasso

Reaction score
So reading all the posts of late there are some good and some bad experiences collecting cars.

As I'll be picking my S3 up from Northampton Audi in a few weeks I just wondered what their car prep is like asked a while ago elsewhere on the forum but only got one response.

At the moment I'm not going to let them touch it beyond removing protection and a quick jet wash as I've bought enough detailing stuff of late to setup a shop. So it'll be a couple of days off work and some satisfyingly hard work.

What are your thoughts?

Anyone got any specific experiences at Northampton Audi?

Swings and Roundabouts.

During a normal PDI and Prep, if its damaged or scratched, there is no dispute that the dealer has to sort it - it was uncovered on their property

If however you insist that they don't clean/inspect it, you drive it away, if you find any subsequent damage during your clean/detail, then there's going to be a dispute if you put it there, or it was sustained during transit.....

At least if the dealer removed the plastic and wax, he will uncover any damage first, you will see it, then there is no comeback.

My dealer prepped the car for me, very happy, you could count the swirls on one hand (I took a super bright LED torch with me),

Mind came from Norhampton, had the dealer prepare it, all looked ok and no swirls.

Hav since spent a day claying, sealing and waxing, and haven't found any damage to the paint. Apart from a small stone chip, but don't think I can blame that on the dealer.

Reactions: Brasso
Swings and Roundabouts.

During a normal PDI and Prep, if its damaged or scratched, there is no dispute that the dealer has to sort it - it was uncovered on their property

If however you insist that they don't clean/inspect it, you drive it away, if you find any subsequent damage during your clean/detail, then there's going to be a dispute if you put it there, or it was sustained during transit.....

At least if the dealer removed the plastic and wax, he will uncover any damage first, you will see it, then there is no comeback.

My dealer prepped the car for me, very happy, you could count the swirls on one hand (I took a super bright LED torch with me),

Fair point @veeight

I'm asking myself this question too.

My dealer has added, what he called 'body care/paint protection' to my order at £199 but increased the discount to compensate for it.

Do I let them do this? Is the paint ok without it?
Do I ask them not to add this but to do a detail?
Do I ask them to leave it alone and get my own detailer in?
As said above, with the later option there is the risk of wrong accusations if any damage is found in the first couple of days or weeks.

The thought of the dealer not preparing the car didn't even cross my mind, it looked perfectly shiny when I collected it. I've now had the car for 5 months and I've not since noticed any swirls in the paintwork when I've been cleaning it, although admittedly swirls are much harder to see on a white car than on a dark colour.

Mine was Northampton and the car was prepped spotlessly for collection. It's only when parked up on my drive with the security light (500w) on top of the garage door shining directly onto the bonnet that I can see some light swirls but you cannot see them in daylight and I've not seen any on any other panel. They seem to have put some sort of shiny coating on it probably for showroom shine rather than protection as it does bead when wet. I'm getting it detailed in a few weekends time so he'll sort those swirls out then C1, Exo 2 and sealant and also do the interior. I'd love to do it myself but don't have a garage or the time off work and some of those product need to be kept dry whilst they cure.

Maybe you should ask your dealer how they prepare new cars?

It is different dealer to dealer it appears. For instance, my dealer uses a third party detailing company to prepare new vehicles. On collection day it was parked in the show room with the spotlights on it. There was a couple of very light swirls on the roof but that was it. I also took a swirl spotting torch and it was immaculate bar the roof.

To be fair - I knew it would be as my A1 which I bought from then same dealer was also prepped perfectly too.

Service washs however are done with a Karcher and a brush attachment and some very old and stained MF cloths.......funnily enough they are kindly asked not to service wash it.

Reactions: Brasso and veeeight
I had this discussion with Reading Audi when I collected my S4. The dealer was very understanding but raised the point @veeeight makes above about PDI damage. So we agreed they would do the minimum needed to uncover any issues and hand it over to me like that. That's exactly what happened and everyone was happy. It then went off to a 3rd party detailer for CQuartz Finest.

Enjoy the new car!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I had this discussion with Reading Audi when I collected my S4. The dealer was very understanding but raised the point @veeeight makes above about PDI damage. So we agreed they would do the minimum needed to uncover any issues and hand it over to me like that. That's exactly what happened and everyone was happy. It then went off to a 3rd party detailer for CQuartz Finest.

Enjoy the new car!
^This :thumbs up: