Dealer AdBlue worth it?

Zocko

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m new here, just bought an A4 B9 TDI and was wondering if the dearlers AdBlue is of better quality than what you’d buy at the petrol station? Also would a quality AdBlue lengthen the DPF’s life ? I’d appreciate any answers/comments, thanks!

In my experience no. Last 2 audis had adblue and I did 50-60k in both and never had any bother with dpf/adblue systems. This was using adblue from petrol station, euro car part and supermarkets.
I was getting adblue for less than £1 a litre and dealers was asking for £2.50per litre to fill mine. If it was closer to £1 I would have just let them do it but not at over double.
If you are near a petrol station with adblue on pump, normally motorway service stations, it can be really cheap but slightly painful to fill as they are really fast.

Thanks for your informative reply! Yes unfortunately that’s the “stealers” way.. good to know I won’t pay the extra pennies either,thanks ,Regards

Find a BP petrol station and full it up, costs about 1£ a litre and there is no messing about with a bottle etc, you fill it up like you do fuel.

No mess.

You could save £2 probably by buying a bottle etc, and filling it up that way.

I fiddled around with a 10l one today , will use BP from now on , it’s my first AdBlue car so good to know , thanks!

I fiddled around with a 10l one today , will use BP from now on , it’s my first AdBlue car so good to know , thanks!

There’s a vag adblue hose you can get. One end screws onto the car and other screws into a 10l bottle. All I did was screw the ends in and turn bottle upside down and left on top of my wheelie bin. No drips or spillage easy peasy.

Edit:
Here’s the hose.

What a great community I’ve been lurking in the shadows till now but I’m glad I’ve registered!On the topic of prolonged DPF life I’ve read somewhere that the AdBlue is sprayed into some sort of catalytic down the pipe from the DPF just to neutralize the bad particles from the exaust gas .. so doesn’t necessarily affect the DPF anyway,Cheers

What a great community I’ve been lurking in the shadows till now but I’m glad I’ve registered!On the topic of prolonged DPF life I’ve read somewhere that the AdBlue is sprayed into some sort of catalytic down the pipe from the DPF just to neutralize the bad particles from the exaust gas .. so doesn’t necessarily affect the DPF anyway,Cheers

The DPF is upstream of the adblue (DEF) fluid injection and SCR system. DEF is a urea solution. So DEF does. It impact the DPF.

The DEF is used as part of a chemical reaction to reduce the NOx in the exhaust gas. NOx is made up of NO & NO2.

The catalyst is the precious metal coated ceramic in the system. Followed by a tailpipe.

Using the DOC, DPF & SCR, the system can reduce the soot & NOx to within the legal limits. It’s a complicated system and is finely balanced to operate within given parameters specified by the manufacturer.

Source: I work on industrial diesel engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had mine removed and coded out

I doubt the software would let you code out an emissions critical device without compromising something.

Regardless, the MOT tests NOx levels and without a working SCR system the levels won’t be within manufacturer declared limits. You’ll be lucky if it passes.

If it has passed, I’d be interested to know if it’s a legit MOT?

The DPF is upstream of the adblue (DEF) fluid injection and SCR system. DEF is a urea solution. So DEF does. It impact the DPF.

The DEF is used as part of a chemical reaction to reduce the NOx in the exhaust gas. NOx is made up of NO & NO2.

The catalyst is the precious metal coated ceramic in the system. Followed by a tailpipe.

Using the DOC, DPF & SCR, the system can reduce the soot & NOx to within the legal limits. It’s a complicated system and is finely balanced to operate within given parameters specified by the manufacturer.

Source: I work on industrial diesel engines.

Thanks very informative

Thanks very informative

Dieselnet is a great starting place. It’s subscription based, except for the first few paragraphs of the article, so you could use that to research the terms I mention above and then Google it for other articles that are free to read of you wanted to understand more.

PM/reply for any questions, happy to assist where I can and I’ll tell you if it’s outside my understanding.

Just had mine removed and coded out
I had that done on my previous 2.0 tdi cr when the egr failed ... done the stage 1 tune with block egr and gained about 40 ponies and mpg went from 37 to 42 but the exhaust started to smell and was quite smoking when regenerating.. I enjoyed the extra power and better economy but didn’t like the smell at all ! Had no problems on mot’s as I think their stations are not that sensitive (at least not yet) Cheers !

I doubt the software would let you code out an emissions critical device without compromising something.

Regardless, the MOT tests NOx levels and without a working SCR system the levels won’t be within manufacturer declared limits. You’ll be lucky if it passes.

If it has passed, I’d be interested to know if it’s a legit MOT?

Mines in for delete and remap next week as i have a fault on the pump and its constantly trying to pump even when car is off and locked. Draining battery dead and can hear it beeping when its sat there like its got Tourettes. Its a 3.0 v6 272, car dealer wont acknowledge a fault as car drives perfect, but it shouldnt be ****** beeping all night sat on drive.

From what i have found, the adblue delete wont fail an mot emission test, but would be classed same as removing dpf, as the car isnt operating same as designed and supposed to be, but there is no test for adblue operation and wont be picked up.

Maybe one day they will start checking, like they now do with dpf tampering, but im not worried for a long time about it

Mines in for delete and remap next week as i have a fault on the pump and its constantly trying to pump even when car is off and locked. Draining battery dead and can hear it beeping when its sat there like its got Tourettes. Its a 3.0 v6 272, car dealer wont acknowledge a fault as car drives perfect, but it shouldnt be ****** beeping all night sat on drive.

From what i have found, the adblue delete wont fail an mot emission test, but would be classed same as removing dpf, as the car isnt operating same as designed and supposed to be, but there is no test for adblue operation and wont be picked up.

Maybe one day they will start checking, like they now do with dpf tampering, but im not worried for a long time about it

I’ve just fact checked myself and it doesn’t appear NOx is checked at MOT. Hence why if the system is removed the car will still pass.

That’s doesn’t remove the fact taking away emissions reduce components is not good for health or the environment, but that’s an entirely different conversation.

Id say in the grand scheme of things, its minor in comparison to what the manufacturers have been doing to cheat emissions for years.

Not saying it makes it ok, but im not lumping out £700+ for a new adblue pump plus fitting and then it potentially break again, when i can just delete the system and remap for £240 through a friend.

Id say in the grand scheme of things, its minor in comparison to what the manufacturers have been doing to cheat emissions for years.

Not saying it makes it ok, but im not lumping out £700+ for a new adblue pump plus fitting and then it potentially break again, when i can just delete the system and remap for £240 through a friend.

I totally agree on your reasoning.

It’d be interesting to see the impact on your ‘carbon’ footprint for installing vs not installing - the new component had to be manufactured and shipped, maybe that has a larger footprint over you running the car without it

Reactions: Zocko
Maybe if i start to lose sleep over my impact ill walk down to a field and plant a few trees for the offset.

I already have a 4kw solar panel system, recycle everything, car share for work. Not that any of that would be taken into account if it was ever a problem, but my conscience is pretty clear on that front

Reactions: Zocko
Maybe if i start to lose sleep over my impact ill walk down to a field and plant a few trees for the offset.

I already have a 4kw solar panel system, recycle everything, car share for work. Not that any of that would be taken into account if it was ever a problem, but my conscience is pretty clear on that front

I’d love a solar panel system

I’d love a solar panel system

There pretty good apart from when you want to sell the house as mortgage companies hate them. Make it really hard as you are leasing your roof as a business. Best if you own them outright, but very expensive.
System was free with a 25 year lease of my roof. Got a pretty big 3 bed detached, heating is on all winter at 20deg, never turn it off, and my DD is £45pm. 4 months into year and im already in the plus on my account, will probably end up surplus by the end of next winter and get the cash back.
Can run oven/dishwasher/tumbledryer/kettle, and smart meter doesnt even budge on price.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread

Reactions: DyslexicDog