1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Dead Pixels on Centre Screen

ScottishA4B9 Nov 21, 2020

1. ScottishA4B9

ScottishA4B9 Registered User

Hi all.

I noticed I have some dead pixels on my central screen. Has anybody else had this?

Not sure if it’s enough to concern me changing it but replacement screens seem to be cheap.

https://ibb.co/2Pqd54P

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. jrumball

jrumball Registered User

That’s a good example of dead or stuck pixels ! If it’s under warranty I would get it fixed . The odd one from new is normal depending on the quality of the display but grouping like that around the edges may be it staring to fail ....

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Just grab a used screen & test.

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  5. Dubjam

Dubjam Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Excuse for a MIB2 upgrade :)

or at least a Mib1 Tech pack upgrade

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Hacked 2, but yes lol

7. Bigjase88

Bigjase88 Registered User

Whats an MIB1 tech pack upgrade

8. Dubjam

Widescreen, HDD based Sat Nav, Touch writing input

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  9. Bigjase88

Who knows i have the small screen sat nav

10. Dubjam

Who knows if you have the small screen? Do you mean how do you tell which screen/sat nav you have?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  11. Bigjase88

I have the small screen with sat nav, i just don’t understand MIB1 MIB2

is that not the men in black movies that will smith starred in?

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Dubjam

MIB1 - PFL
    MIB2 - FL (Carplay etc)

MIB - Modular Infotainment System - The unit in your glovebox with the SD cards, basically a small PC

14. ScottishA4B9

I defo think so! Need to see what prices are. I keep seeing adverts for Leicester VAG retrofits and they seem to do it all. I think it’s cheaper if you source the parts yourself individually on eBay. I would just need to know exactly what all I need. If anybody can help, that would be awesome.

15. Dubjam

Around £1200 for MIB2

MIB1 HIGH with Screen, maybe £500?

I've posted all the part numbers needed for a MIB2 before, just use the search engine or look at my previous posts.

They will both need to be hacked to use on your car.

I notice on this 'Leicester VAG coding' facebook page they are selling a MIB2 upgrade for £1300 , however it comes without the BO V2 amp and fitting bracket that you'll need to get full control over your sound. You'll also need to then send the MMI Controller console to me to covert to RED LED's to match your PFL dash as otherwise the MMI controller will be WHITE LED's and your dash LEDS', RED, which looks absolutely pony.

They offer to fit and code for £100, which is remarkable.

16. ScottishA4B9

@Dubjam What’s the difference of the MIB1 HIGH over what I’ve got?

17. Dubjam

Widescreen with higher resolution (how it should have been rather than the poverty spec 1985's screen of the standard one), better graphics, touch input, HDD based Sat Nav (faster) - can be hacked so free map updates for life, Speed camera POI's can be added, internal HDD for music

There may be some other things as well..maybe DAB? I dont know if that came standard on the poverty spec MIB or not

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  18. ScottishA4B9

@Dubjam I think DAB is standard, looking back at the brochure from the time.
    I think MIB1 would be a good bet especially if you say it’s around £500. I think MIB2 would be too much although I would love Apple Car Play. I had the Tech Pack high and VC in my A4 B9 and loved it! (Not so much the dial with writing pad though!).
    I see VC’s on eBay for quite cheap but I know it wouldn’t be a straight forward or easy thing to do.

19. ScottishA4B9

20. Dubjam

I love the Touch input! So much easier than using the dial, which is beneficial for the MIB2 as its address entry interface is poor, the MIB1 was better in that respect.

I think it would essentially be plug and play as long as the unit is hacked.

Looks like a pretty decent deal! However you'd have to check with a pro about it being the correct region for the UK. You may need a firmware flash.

21. ScottishA4B9

Do you mean the VC?
    Thanks for the advice so far.

22. Dubjam

MIB1 dosent have VC function. Im talking about the MIB unit itself, has to be hacked/CP protection removed to use on a different vehicle.

23. ScottishA4B9

Gotcha. I think the MIB1 will be the way to go.

24. Bigjase88

I have MIB1 with Nav and DAB.

of the time (2013) it wasn’t a bad set-up, in 2020 it lags in the past but thats technology, 7 years time the new stuff will looks **** most likely

25. CanadaA3wales

CanadaA3wales Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP

I have MIB1 and it has great DAB, Bluetooth has never let me down, the sound quality is decent.
    Not one thing has failed on it, so cannot see the reason on spending over £500.00 just for a little bigger screen.

If I want satnav I will buy a proper one or google maps on my phone for free.

ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  26. Dubjam

There are two Mib1 boys, Mib1 with the poverty spec screen and sd card sat nav, and Mib2 high tech pack with the 7” screen abd hdd sat nav. The latter is perfectly up to date.

27. CanadaA3wales

Yeah I know, I am very poor so have Poverty spec LOL
    I think it suits my needs and cant think of anything else I need it to do.
    If I got a deal on a 7" screen for £200.00 I would probably buy it, but for £500.00 plus install and coding, no thanks.

There is actually 3
    MIB Normal - Which I have
    MIB1 High with the 7" for about £500.00 used
    and MIB2 which is like £2000.00

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 6:53 PM
  28. Bigjase88

Im also poverty spec.

it doesn’t bother me as i would never use the Sat Nav on it anyways. It gets DAB what more does one need, i spend 95% of my life driving a Citroen van so anything is technologically advanced compared to that

29. CanadaA3wales

Exactly
    I can change my music on the steering wheel, listen to DAB, take calls, Deezer ect ..
    I would like the virtual dash, but that will be some time away before I can afford it lol

I have seen the sat nav on cars and they are so bad, I cannot understand how people spend over £500.00 on them, but the google earth maps which Audi took away looked amazing, but obviously Audi does not want to pay the google prices anymore, or whatever the reason.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

30. Dubjam

I said there was two Mib1,s. You have read the content of this thread yeah? Lol

i had Mib1 Tech pack and upgraded to Mib2, it doesn't cost £2000. This was probably a decadent upgrade but i would definitely not hesitate to do a Mib1 tech pack upgrade at all, thats more necessity imo.

The standard Mib1 SD was so bad, it like a Spectrum ZX graphics. Did not belong in the interior of an 8V.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    ScottishA4B9 likes this.
  31. CanadaA3wales

I agree with the graphics, my 2011 golf had a far better screen than my 2014 Audi, but it works.

Well if anyone has a 7" screen unit MIB High for sale give me a shout, but wont be paying £500.00 for it.

32. Dubjam

£500 for a MIB and screen is great value. A worthy upgrade. I would imagine you'd wouldn't be getting one for any less, if you want cheaper replacement parts, other manufacturers do have lower price used parts, such as Vauxhall :)

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. CanadaA3wales

LOL get me a nice used ford pinto screen.
    First and formost is rear camera and front sensors with DJALEX in the new year.
    I wish I had access to a good scrap yard to keep an eye out for a used unit, that would probably be around 250.00, but dont think there are any around me apart from copart, but they only sell car TL and they are in bristol.

35. Dubjam

Gone are the days when you could roam around a scrap yard, remove bits from loads of cars, take them the cash desk and just get charged a few notes. those where the times, so much fun.

Rear camera - biggest waste of money ever, I wish I never did mine, its more annoying that anything else , and a rear camera on your tiny low res screen?I wouldnt bother at all.

36. CanadaA3wales

Would you say just go with the sensors instead?

Ive seen some videos and the pictures dont look too bad, but again have not seen it in person.

Kind of going off topic here lol

37. Dubjam

I think @ScottishA4B9 is sorted in what he needs now , so no harm.

Honestly, try to see a camera in person on a poverty MIB. It's really not to hot. Some people like camera's, I just find them dangerous.

The sensors I have turned down to about 25%. If you cant drive and park a car without sensors, then you need to go back to driving school.

That being said, I would choose front and rear sensors over a camera any day. But Id choose a MIB upgrade over sensors.

38. CanadaA3wales

No accidents yet in the audi.
    Believe it or not, I had sensors on my golf and still hit my garage door lol.
    So 500 for a MIB high unit, how much do you think it would be for a install?

39. Bigjase88

Whats the point in throwing good money after bad, i will just buy a newer A3 next time around, maybe an S3, only got the A3 s-tronic as the missus needed an auto to learn to drive, (can’t do gears)

40. CanadaA3wales

Can't afford a decent year S3, even £10,000 probably wouldn't buy you a 10 year old S3 which I think is highly over priced for what you get.
    I'm happy with my A3, it's decently fast and does exactly what I need.
    I'm happy upgrading little bits to suit my needs.

ScottishA4B9 likes this.