DEAD PEDAL RHD Aluminium retrofit

mattandrew

Reaction score
Had this one my to-do-list for a while now, I changed the accelerator and brake pedal with ease but the dead pedal was not as straight forward.

I purchased the LHD drive dead pedal think it was about £35 - vagparts sell it, but if your only buying that is prob cheaper to get from the dealers as you don't have to pay the postage.

The LHD dead pedal looks like this
DeadpedalTT300_300x207_300x207.jpg

First thing to do was take the pedal apart, there were a number of lugs on the back which I bent straight. I was then left with this

IMG_1347.jpg

I removed all the lugs of the aluminium part with the dremel. You then need to remove your existing dead pedal, there is a 10mm bolt at the top right and a philips screw at the top. The plastic pedal will then lift up and outwards.
Next I placed the pedal over the aluminium and marked the shape

IMG_1348.jpg

The dremel came out again (remember the safety specs as there is plenty of debris)

I was left with

IMG_1349.jpg

I then placed the rubber on the dead peal with the trimmed aluminium over the top and cut the rubber with a sharp Stanley blade. On the underside of the rubber are raised sections, I also trimmed these. Next came the gluing, after a few attempts at not bonding I scored the aluminium and rubber and used superglue to bond the two together. Be careful with the super glue as it dries white and marks the rubber - not to much of a problem as it will scrape off after. I used tiger seal (any body sealant etc will do the job) to bond the rubber to the plastic dead pedal. Use plenty of tape on the pedal to ensure you get a good bond

IMG_1350.jpg

After removing the tape, aluminium protector and cleaning the edges I was left with this

IMG_1356.jpg

and fitted

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

All in all a relatively simple mod and looks so matches well

Saw this yesterday in Matt's car. Looks really good. He'll be doing mine soon :drool: Much better than the OSIR pedal, imo. Good work Matt.

Looks good! I'm suprised noone has tried this already!

Top job my friend, only problem is I don't have a dremel!

Do you think if I use a rough cut Stanley wood saw i will be ok? :whistle2:

I was joking! :moa:

I reckon a jigsaw with a thinnish metal blade on it would be fine.

Sorry for being negative but I just dont think that looks right at all, I think its because the horizontal strips/grips just come to an abrupt end instead of being nicely rounded off like the pedals. Also the top/bottom right corners are rounded off but the left side have sharp angles and makes it look unfinished, could you not round them off slightly with the dremel?

Great Job with a super finish!

However I have to disagree with Nathan and I think the OSIR ones looks just a bit "more" right than the cut off horizontal strips... What do you think?

TTM2-ORST-RHD-01.JPG

I like the Osir one - cant see it on their web site - how much does it cost ?

Thanks

Richard

Well I like it.

The OSIR one does look better, but it is a lot more expensive, a modified LHD one looks a lot better than the stock plastic one.

Good effort.

Paul

Sorry for being negative but I just dont think that looks right at all, I think its because the horizontal strips/grips just come to an abrupt end instead of being nicely rounded off like the pedals. Also the top/bottom right corners are rounded off but the left side have sharp angles and makes it look unfinished, could you not round them off slightly with the dremel?

TBH I think it looks fine, yeah maybe the strips do come to an abrupt end but how often to you stare down at the pedal, you would end up in a wall :ohmy:. Yeah you could round the corner but you would end up with gaps as there is a slight lip.

Great Job with a super finish!

However I have to disagree with Nathan and I think the OSIR ones looks just a bit "more" right than the cut off horizontal strips... What do you think?

Yeah I like it but its more than three times the cost of my mod

Well I like it.

The OSIR one does look better, but it is a lot more expensive, a modified LHD one looks a lot better than the stock plastic one.

Good effort.

Paul

I agree Paul it looks so much beeter than the stock plastic one at a third of the cost.

If it was more on show I may of bought the OSIR one but at the end of the day its only down in the footwell.

Yes... The bolts are no good... More traction for the feet?? Yes... at 3 times the cost it SHOULD look good!