Dead P-Zero’s

So when it comes to tyre replacement,which is the best tyre to have

So when it comes to tyre replacement,which is the best tyre to have

P-Zero ;) Thing is, if you go to Audi with any noise or rumble with the Michelin’s on you can guarantee they will dismiss any warranty and blame the non factory tyres.

I don’t have any intentions of changing, just doing my damn best to stop it from happening.

MPS4’s are going to be the next best, if you’re happy to take a risk on traction.

P-Zero ;) Thing is, if you go to Audi with any noise or rumble with the Michelin’s on you can guarantee they will dismiss any warranty and blame the non factory tyres.

I don’t have any intentions of changing, just doing my damn best to stop it from happening.

MPS4’s are going to be the next best, if you’re happy to take a risk on traction.
How can you stop it from happening ?
I suppose 10-12000 miles out of the fronts isn’t to bad

Reactions: NevMan

No idea to be honest, whatever solves the footprint issue would be suspension components redesigned and swapped out. Chances of Audi doing that? Nil? Maybe the next RS3 won’t have this problem.

That’s the thing, the mileage really isn’t THAT bad all things considered but it’s really annoying to lose a tyre with well over 3mm tread on it, we could be stretching them closer to 15k.

Agree. 10k on fronts of 400bhp car not bad. Don’t Civic Type R’s only last 6k, admittedly not 4WD. @Ron240?

Reactions: AudiNutta
Don’t Civic Type R’s only last 6k, admittedly not 4WD. @Ron240?
Indeed.....absolutely horrendous wear rate even when driven relatively gently.
At only 2400 miles my fronts were down to 5.5mm. :astonished:

79852587bdc0e7f2d94063b479ff5026.png

Callum has a square setup on his car and he has traction issues.

It might be very well the compounds of the Pirelli aren’t helping, but this does seem like an issue with the footprint of the tyre on the RS3’s when steering.

Yep, I have the TC issues with MPS4S on my square setup. It's way more overly active compared to how the Pirellis were, but admittedly this can be solved with just a press of the TC switch. Oddly enough the TC issues seemed to happen far more frequently when the tyres were brand new (or shortly after) compared to now where they're worn down a bit.

Shortly after having the MPS4S fitted, TC would flash and cut power whenever my foot was to the floor on a straight road. It doesn't do this so much anymore though but still activates far more frequently than the Pirellis ever did. I'm not mechanically minded enough to say why, but just reporting my experience.

Nowadays I just flick the TC off which is a compromise that I am happy with given the wear rate of the Pirelli's.

Hey stalker, that's my email ;) Grabbed it off FB I presume? They sent me it after I had them fitted which wasn't much help. Credit where it's due though, Michellin were extremely helpful when I reported back my issues to them.

There isn’t any deep kerb protection, they sit just proud of the alloy as @Callump01 will back up, I’ve seen his in person.

If you change just the two fronts I’d say you’re even more likely to suffer from the traction issues they have?

Yep, not a lot of kerb protection on these. Whilst it's slightly chunkier than the Pirellis, it doesn't stick out anywhere near as much.

Last edited:
So I'm back to buying perilli then :-(
At least they seem yo have gone down in price a bit

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and AudiNutta
Yep, I have the TC issues with MPS4S on my square setup. It's way more overly active compared to how the Pirellis were, but admittedly this can be solved with just a press of the TC switch. Oddly enough the TC issues seemed to happen far more frequently when the tyres were brand new (or shortly after) compared to now where they're worn down a bit.

Shortly after having the MPS4S fitted, TC would flash and cut power whenever my foot was to the floor on a straight road. It doesn't do this so much anymore though but still activates far more frequently than the Pirellis ever did. I'm not mechanically minded enough to say why, but just reporting my experience.

Nowadays I just flick the TC off which is a compromise that I am happy with given the wear rate of the Pirelli's.

Hey stalker, that's my email Grabbed it off FB I presume? They sent me it after I had them fitted which wasn't much help. Credit where it's due though, Michellin were extremely helpful when I reported back my issues to them.

Yep, not a lot of kerb protection on these. Whilst it's slightly chunkier than the Pirellis, it doesn't stick out anywhere near as much.

It’s from a thread yes, wasn’t aware it was you tho.

It used to be an advisory on Michelin’s own site but couldn’t find it when I needed to show someone.

I know someone who runs the staggered set up and has increased tyre pressures and has found they have less issues with them.

It is interesting that the noise cancelling foam doesn't seem to go right to the edge and almost looks like it stops where we have the big issue
a3680604858aa3d9efc93befc17a861d.jpg

For comparison I measured a MPSS I had as a spare vs the Pirelli set up

235 MPSS Left vs 235 Pirelli right
9605095c57ec38740550bfbbf0aca11e.jpg

Same MPSS vs 255 Pirelli right
b4c53a2183bc021f06c7cdccbad820e7.jpg

Reactions: Callump01
Tried near enough every premium tyre over the years, and I find that for grip and handling and launching nothing has beaten Yokohama AD08R

Tried near enough every premium tyre over the years, and I find that for grip and handling and launching nothing has beaten Yokohama AD08R
Are these good in the wet, too?

In fact, what is the best all weather tyre? I get that MPSS are widely regarded to be brilliant in the dry, but we have plenty of wet days in the UK!

Reactions: Rayner_1704
Whst about the vredestein ultrac
Heard a lot of people say that are great in dry and wet and cheaper than other makes

Always like the tred pattern look as well. Reminds me of the old toyos

Wouldn’t the other brands have the same issue as the Michelin’s?

One of the owners over here said that a dealer had advised that the Conti sport contact 6 were compatible with RS3. but I’m not sure what to beleive now as there seem to be so many differing experiences.

I do think that the traction control system on rs3 is poorly designed (read crap) and the main contributor to the problem. The rest is just exacerbated by environmental conditions.

Wouldn’t the other brands have the same issue as the Michelin’s?

One of the owners over here said that a dealer had advised that the Conti sport contact 6 were compatible with RS3. but I’m not sure what to beleive now as there seem to be so many differing experiences.

I do think that the traction control system on rs3 is poorly designed (read ****) and the main contributor to the problem. The rest is just exacerbated by environmental conditions.
I think it's the RO2 bit thsts important yo say it's for Audi quottro.

The conti does say it
d251cc10edaf56c1ccf3b1f7cca31b2b.jpg

Whst about the vredestein ultrac
Heard a lot of people say that are great in dry and wet and cheaper than other makes

Always like the tred pattern look as well. Reminds me of the old toyos

A friend had them on his golf R said they were average and noisy

Are these good in the wet, too?

In fact, what is the best all weather tyre? I get that MPSS are widely regarded to be brilliant in the dry, but we have plenty of wet days in the UK!
They aren’t ever going to be as good as a wet tyre but I like them in wet and dry, and in the dry when they are hot they are very sticky.

I had some Michelin ps4s on when I got the car and I didn’t rate them one bit tbh

Reactions: D0C
I have p zero that came as standard on my pfl car I’m not overly impressed with them in the wet....on my s3 I use Goodyear eagle f1 has anyone had them on there rs? As on the s3 I have never needed more tyre even with 600bhp

Reactions: jungle650
I have p zero that came as standard on my pfl car I’m not overly impressed with them in the wet....on my s3 I use Goodyear eagle f1 has anyone had them on there rs? As on the s3 I have never needed more tyre even with 600bhp

I had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3’s on my PFL.

Slightly noisier than the Pirelli R01’s but did seem better when pushing on.

No traction light issue either.

The FL Pirelli’s are wearing well though so I may just order them again I think.
Especially as the Michelin’s aren’t suitable.

1291eb074971994443bbb042d54b7e16.jpg

Reactions: jungle650 and Goubo1
I had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3’s on my PFL.

Slightly noisier than the Pirelli R01’s but did seem better when pushing on.

No traction light issue either.

The FL Pirelli’s are wearing well though so I may just order them again I think.
Especially as the Michelin’s aren’t suitable.

1291eb074971994443bbb042d54b7e16.jpg
I really rate them especially as an all round tyre

Reactions: Goubo1
Just swapped out all the p zeros (ao spec) on my s3 with some pilot sport 4s tyres. And no issues with any tc kicking in at all. Maybe it’s an issue with fl rs3’s as I know a few people who had the Michelin’s on the pfl rs3 and had no issues.

Another note, the ao spec Pirelli’s didn’t have any acoustic foam inside the tyres. I was led to believe all ao, ro1,ro2 had this feature.

Just swapped out all the p zeros (ao spec) on my s3 with some pilot sport 4s tyres. And no issues with any tc kicking in at all. Maybe it’s an issue with fl rs3’s as I know a few people who had the Michelin’s on the pfl rs3 and had no issues.

Another note, the ao spec Pirelli’s didn’t have any acoustic foam inside the tyres. I was led to believe all ao, ro1,ro2 had this feature.

It’s just the 255/30/19’s that are RO1 and RO2 spec.

The traction issues with the 4s tyres is that only on cars with the 255 up front ?

Not just an RS3 issue ?... very similar wear points in this post. Pirelli Tyres in the A3 MBQ platform.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/scary-tyre-wear.380612/

Now that’s worrying, that indicates it’s the whole A3 platform.

I’ve got my granddads A3 on the drive at the moment, I’m going to have a look how the tyres sit on the tarmac before I head to Audi. I can compare it to a 5 Series and a Golf also on the drive, see if I can see a pattern or if the A3’s are well out.

No issues with the Conti’s on the 8P RS3 although I did change to the MPSS people raved on about at the time, but only because the tyres were getting low on tread.

No issues with Pirelli PFL R01’s on 255/235 set up, replaced at 10k with 4mm tread left an even wear.

No issues with Pirelli FL R02’s on 255/235 set either.

The R02’s were checked when I had the wheels off weeks back and are worn evenly.

I do run them at the full load pressures.

My winter set up going on soon which again are Pirelli Sotto’s 235 all round and as the normal tyres they are wearing even.

Reactions: NevMan and DW81
My rear 235s say RO2 as well

Same here PFL had R01 all round and FL has R02 front and back.
Only difference is the 235 didn’t have the NCS system of a foam piece inside and the rim protection on R02 is huge by comparison.

No issues with the Conti’s on the 8P RS3 although I did change to the MPSS people raved on about at the time, but only because the tyres were getting low on tread.

No issues with Pirelli PFL R01’s on 255/235 set up, replaced at 10k with 4mm tread left an even wear.

No issues with Pirelli FL R02’s on 255/235 set either.

The R02’s were checked when I had the wheels off weeks back and are worn evenly.

I do run them at the full load pressures.

My winter set up going on soon which again are Pirelli Sotto’s 235 all round and as the normal tyres they are wearing even.
I bought the sotto zeros on your recommendation mate for my winter wheels. Great tyre in my opinion especially when pressing on in the snow we had in February/March up the motorway. Winter tyres are game changers for this car.

Reactions: NevMan and T-800
And yet Audi are offering a Michelin Sport Cup tyre on the FL R8.

My front tyres, no spacers, not driven hard, only done 8000 miles

Attachments

• 20181027_133542.jpg
    20181027_133542.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 269
Reactions: NevMan and evil_scooby
Is this just happening on the fronts?
Seems to just be the fronts. My fronts have started to show excessive inside edge wear at 8k miles. Swapped them front to back to even wear out and now run 44front and 39rear tyre pressure.

Pics below for reference

Front top pic, rear bottom pic
e2b53fe27c7edd941f0da7713d1a26d5.jpg
c942899967a5f12dc5c455864fbb7201.jpg

Seems to just be the fronts. My fronts have started to show excessive inside edge wear at 8k miles. Swapped them front to back to even wear out and now run 44font and 39rear tyre pressure.

Pics below for reference

Front
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181027/e2b53fe27c7edd941f0da7713d1a26d5.jpg

Rear
c942899967a5f12dc5c455864fbb7201.jpg

Saloon or hatchback for the tyre pressures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk