Dead P-Zero’s

This seems to be a general Audi issue, A4’s too.... we all need too go to our dealers!
My dealer has tried blaming it a being driven to hard and incorrect tyres pressures, having none of it, taking it in on Monday and asked for a courtesy car until it's sorted

My dealer has tried blaming it a being driven to hard and incorrect tyres pressures, having none of it, taking it in on Monday and asked for a courtesy car until it's sorted

That’s absolute nonsense. I think if they are driven in a straight line it’s not an issue, around town will kill them quicker as it is an issue with the angle of the wheel upon steering.

Pirelli have inspected my tyres and car, they were baffled and said go back to Audi it’s an issue with the car. Anybody who has this issue needs to contact Pirelli customer service so their tyres will be inspected and the more they get, the more likely Pirelli will intervene and contact Audi.

Reactions: NevMan
That’s absolute nonsense. I think if they are driven in a straight line it’s not an issue, around town will kill them quicker as it is an issue with the angle of the wheel upon steering.

Pirelli have inspected my tyres and car, they were baffled and said go back to Audi it’s an issue with the car. Anybody who has this issue needs to contact Pirelli customer service so their tyres will be inspected and the more they get, the more likely Pirelli will intervene and contact Audi.
Mine is mostly motorway miles
13k its actually at
Looks same as others so dint think its cornering or turning hard

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Mine is mostly motorway miles
13k its actually at
Looks same as others so dint think its cornering or turning hard

If yours got to 13k that’s backing up my theory the longer you spend with your wheels straight ahead the longer the tyres will last.

@AudiNutta I know we disagree a lot, but I've got to again. No way is that an issue just driving slowly around town. To get that level of wear, that is clearly wearing at higher speeds, too. That must be a major issue with the geometry set up. I'll check mine in the morning, but looking at some of these pics, the tyres are like new except for the very inside edge. Certainly, mine on the outside edge are like new.

Reactions: T-800
@AudiNutta I know we disagree a lot, but I've got to again. No way is that an issue just driving slowly around town. To get that level of wear, that is clearly wearing at higher speeds, too. That must be a major issue with the geometry set up. I'll check mine in the morning, but looking at some of these pics, the tyres are like new except for the very inside edge. Certainly, mine on the outside edge are like new.

You’d think if it was down to a steering issue then eventually you’d see the same on the outer shoulder too.

Seems to be only fronts and inside edges but with no odd tread wear.

If it were a tyre issue then I’d imagine Pirelli would have done something about it, last thing they’ll want is bad publicity.....

Something has changed on the FL car because I recently went to order some Alcon disks but was told that the front hubs have been altered by 5/6mm and as a result the PFL disc doesn’t fit.

Upon removing a front disk I found they are indeed different by 5mm.

I’m wondering if there’s been a geometry change to help improve its handling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: D0C
If yours got to 13k that’s backing up my theory the longer you spend with your wheels straight ahead the longer the tyres will last.

To be fair @AudiNutta, that is a VERY obvious statement lol. ANY tyres last longer on ANY car if mostly kept straight, i.e. motorway miles

Reactions: T-800
Negative camber combined with excessive toe will scrub the inside of the tyre. If the wheels are pointing in or out (toe) then they are scrubbing even going in a straight line. The negative camber will focus the scrubbing on the inside edge.

Camber is not adjustable on our cars so the toe needs to be set correctly.

In my previous cars where I used to run a lot (2-3 deg) of negative camber I had toe set to near zero, otherwise tyres wouldn’t last.

Obviously a different car and set up, but here is one of my front tyres, 20" p-zero. Nearly 11000 miles and like new with no uneven wear.

Attachments

• IMG_5595.JPG
    IMG_5595.JPG
    939.8 KB · Views: 237

I came to that conclusion by seeing what Pirelli were showing me last week. On full lock the car loads up the one tyre heavily on the inside and then there is a clearance gap across the rest of the tyre to the outer edge. In theory the more time you spend turning lock to lock, the more the inside is loaded hence the faster they wear.

You’d think if it was down to a steering issue then eventually you’d see the same on the outer shoulder too.

Seems to be only fronts and inside edges but with no odd tread wear.

If it were a tyre issue then I’d imagine Pirelli would have done something about it, last thing they’ll want is bad publicity.....

Something has changed on the FL car because I recently went to order some Alcon disks but was told that the front hubs have been altered by 5/6mm and as a result the PFL disc doesn’t fit.

Upon removing a front disk I found they are indeed different by 5mm.

I’m wondering if there’s been a geometry change to help improve its handling.

I didn’t report any outside edge wear when my tyres went back to Pirelli, but the report I have from them state there is excessive outer edge wear but not to the same extent as the inner.

Pirelli tested the materials in the tyre and examined the cords in the tyre to ensure correct location, so the tyres were supported as they were designed to be. Correct, they said they would admit if there was any liability because they are a big brand and deal for the majority in performance cars and they wouldn’t ignore a problem.

The issue is, I know the dealers will do all they can with the resources they have.. check wheel alignment and compare one RS3 to another. If they are both the same, that’s how it left the factory and how it should be. But now I’ve got 3 alignment reports all in green and a Pirelli report stating an issue with the geometry of the car or wear and tear on the car for whatever reason, so hopefully when I do get time to pop into Audi they can forward this onto Audi technical.

Negative camber combined with excessive toe will scrub the inside of the tyre. If the wheels are pointing in or out (toe) then they are scrubbing even going in a straight line. The negative camber will focus the scrubbing on the inside edge.

Camber is not adjustable on our cars so the toe needs to be set correctly.

In my previous cars where I used to run a lot (2-3 deg) of negative camber I had toe set to near zero, otherwise tyres wouldn’t last.

The alignment from memory on the RS3 sets the toe angle at around or just under 1 degree on each corner.

Strange how some suffer from it and some don’t.

My winters go on next week and they are Pirelli also.
No problem with them either.

I’d buy Pirelli again too.

I didn’t report any outside edge wear when my tyres went back to Pirelli, but the report I have from them state there is excessive outer edge wear but not to the same extent as the inner.

Pirelli tested the materials in the tyre and examined the cords in the tyre to ensure correct location, so the tyres were supported as they were designed to be. Correct, they said they would admit if there was any liability because they are a big brand and deal for the majority in performance cars and they wouldn’t ignore a problem.

The issue is, I know the dealers will do all they can with the resources they have.. check wheel alignment and compare one RS3 to another. If they are both the same, that’s how it left the factory and how it should be. But now I’ve got 3 alignment reports all in green and a Pirelli report stating an issue with the geometry of the car or wear and tear on the car for whatever reason, so hopefully when I do get time to pop into Audi they can forward this onto Audi technical.

Forward to Audi Technical my ****.......

Straight in the shredder I’ll bet.

Strange how some suffer from it and some don’t.

My winters go on next week and they are Pirelli also.
No problem with them either.

I’d buy Pirelli again too.

Yep that one I have no idea on, seems to be quite a common issue now however.

I’m on my second set of Pirelli now all around, 12k on the clock.

Forward to Audi Technical my ****.......

Straight in the shredder I’ll bet.

More than likely :lmfao:

I came to that conclusion by seeing what Pirelli were showing me last week. On full lock the car loads up the one tyre heavily on the inside and then there is a clearance gap across the rest of the tyre to the outer edge. In theory the more time you spend turning lock to lock, the more the inside is loaded hence the faster they wear.

That’s fairly normal with cars that have a lot of caster. If you have a look at a Merc it is even more pronounced. Unless you drive around in tight circles every day I can’t see that causing the issue.

Maybe you should suggest that AUDI and Pirelli get together and thrash the problem out rather than bouncing it back to the consumer.

That’s fairly normal with cars that have a lot of caster. If you have a look at a Merc it is even more pronounced. Unless you drive around in tight circles every day I can’t see that causing the issue.

Maybe you should suggest that AUDI and Pirelli get together and thrash the problem out rather than bouncing it back to the consumer.

The issue Pirelli have is that it isn’t really their problem, they make a tyre to the spec that Audi asked for. They have designed the tyre, tested it and it meets specification so Pirelli have done their job. Me trying to tell Audi there is an issue will be like talking to a brick wall. Pirelli, who provide all of nearly all of the Audi Sport tyres as well as for Lamborghini making a phone call to Audi saying “we think you’ve made a mistake”, might not go down very well.

Well that's the fronts swapped out so thought I would share the photo .
The fitter was shocked st the weaR considering it had 3-4mm left across rest of tyre.

Inside pic was to show the foam NCS

Under 14k miles
e1a2a0243b5c4af4ebf32233bd3f3f53.jpg
059bbd3a9c8af05f3381a439efee5d9e.jpg
5234049b99bc1dd621f91c63a89f2724.jpg

It is crap how these tyres go like this,but 14000 miles on a set is pretty good

Have any of you taken your cars to WIM in Chesham? They are far and away the experts when it comes to alignment issues.

Something just can't be right. So many people with tyres beyond worn on the inside...

Something just can't be right. So many people with tyres beyond worn on the inside...
I reckon it's alignment. Factory alignment is crap.

Mine was well out. Pirellis worn down bald on outside edges whole rest of the tyre was great. Shop said my alignment was out and I was basically driving all the time on the shoulders and small contact patch also why TC light was hyperactive.

Changed to 245/35 square Michelin PS4S and even went stage 1+ and the TC Light has only come on once and that was exactly when it should have, bumpy as hell road on the throttle. Car finally rides on the full tyre contact now...

Check your alignments guys!

Reactions: T-800 and D0C
I reckon it's alignment. Factory alignment is ****.

Mine was well out. Pirellis worn down bald on outside edges whole rest of the tyre was great. Shop said my alignment was out and I was basically driving all the time on the shoulders and small contact patch also why TC light was hyperactive.

Changed to 245/35 square Michelin PS4S and even went stage 1+ and the TC Light has only come on once and that was exactly when it should have, bumpy as hell road on the throttle. Car finally rides on the full tyre contact now...

Check your alignments guys!

I had my alignment done around 4K miles and still only got 9k out my front tires. I also changed the fronts to Michelin 245 but was 30 profile. Rears are still the 235 Pirelli’s and my light is a nightmare. Although I’ve not tried upping the tire pressures yet that everyone says.

Do you have a copy of your alignment sheet to compare to mine?

I'm sure I read somewhere that Audi went with aggressive geometry on the FL cars to make them turn in sharper and feel more agile that the PFL. The downside of this is excessive uneven tyre wear.

FYI i have 14k on my rear 235s and they got checked yesterday and still have apparently about 5mm left

You saw the pictures of my fronts so looks like its purely front issue

I'm sure I read somewhere that Audi went with aggressive geometry on the FL cars to make them turn in sharper and feel more agile that the PFL. The downside of this is excessive uneven tyre wear.

That’s what we think it is yes, they did make handling tweaks and said all along the car was sharper. Tbh, I think I’d rather the PFL handling and an extra 5000 miles out of my tyres!!

Reactions: NevMan and D0C
FYI i have 14k on my rear 235s and they got checked yesterday and still have apparently about 5mm left

You saw the pictures of my fronts so looks like its purely front issue

5mm? Wow you must be driving like a saint! Mine had about 2.5-3mm left at 11,000 miles. I changed them when Pirelli did the full inspection on the car as they wanted to check setup with 4 new tyres if possible. Managed to flog the old ones on as they still had a bit of life left in them.

5mm? Wow you must be driving like a saint! Mine had about 2.5-3mm left at 11,000 miles. I changed them when Pirelli did the full inspection on the car as they wanted to check setup with 4 new tyres if possible. Managed to flog the old ones on as they still had a bit of life left in them.
My tyres are 12000 miles in now and are like new!

Reactions: NevMan and AudiNutta