Dead LED DRL on one side

MilkDawg

Reaction score
Quick question. Gone to use the car today and a light has popped up on the dash advising that the "side light / daytime running light, left-side" is not working. Jumped out and sure enough, no LEDs are lit on the passenger side. I have visually checked cables etc and cant see anything wrong. I havent plugged in VCDS yet to see if there is anymore to this error.

Indicators and headlights work fine still.

Is there anything else I can check like voltage etc?

If they are gone, I assume its a whole new headlight.

Yep. Mine passenger side DRL went a couple of weeks ago too. I'm going to try disconnecting and reconnecting, checking the wiring before taking the plunge of a new unit. Sadly it seems these are failing at rate which they really shouldn't

That is not good for a car that has only done about 30k miles! It ran out of Audi cover last month too :-(

How would you test the cable, just with a multimeter?

hi newbie here, having the same problem myself. I have a 09 a3 sportback black edition with the led drl's headlights. got the bulb error and thought it was a indicator bulb. the left side drl is out. came bk on next day but not for long.

got a local price of £427 to supply headlight . but no price for them to fit and programme.

Audi Belfast want £60 to tell me I need a new headlight.
Anyone no audi price for this work?

Got a price from audi to supply and fit new near side xenon headlight with led drl. (Audi a3 black addition)

£426.97 Headlight
£158.00 Labour
£584.97 Total.

Expensive bulb replacement!

I think the labour is reasonable though. As the bumper has to be drop the headlight fitted aligned. And suppose it would need programmed also.

Need to get it sorted before mot. As the led drl's dim down when headlights r on to act as sidelights.

Really? You can get a full service AND new cam belt/water pump fitted for less than it costs to change a bulb, I don't see anything reasonable about it at all.

Audi don't NEED to design cars that mean you need the bumper removed to change a bulb, they do so to rob us of our money. So no, it isn't reasonable.

I swapped headlights on my old S3 and it's not that difficult. There's a bumper removal guide in the FAQs, the headlight itself will just plug in and you could find someone with VCDS to help with the alignment.

I completely agree with @Carefree69 though, swapping a headlamp unit for the sake of one light is a joke. When these cars get older it'd be better just to turn the DRLs off and live with it.

Got a price from audi to supply and fit new near side xenon headlight with led drl. (Audi a3 black addition)

£426.97 Headlight
£158.00 Labour
£584.97 Total.

Expensive bulb replacement!
£585 to change a blown bulb.......hahahahahaha!

Do they present the bill with a smirk?