Dead battery now no power

Rob Avant

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Long time no see, I’m hoping you lot might be able to shed some light on this...

My wagons been tucked up in the garage for most of this year while I’ve been running around in the wife’s car. I’ve always kept the battery charged and started it regularly as you should.
About three months ago my mate took the car over to his garage to fit my new clutch, arbs, engine mounts, 18z’s etc, basically all the stuff I’ve been meaning to do but don’t have the time (or skill) to do.
He’s been doing these jobs around his regular work hence the delay in getting back, plus I wasn’t in a hurry.

Unfortunately while in his care the battery had drained completely flat. I picked the car up last night and drove straight home and instantly noticed the lack of power.
Went out today for a quick drive and the car feels underpowered and sluggish. When putting my foot down the car picks up speed but then seems to struggle and judder.
I seem to remember reading some time ago, when the battery has been disconnected for a long period of time this can happen, you just need to drive it and effectively re program the ecu? Is this true or am I going mad?

Thanks in advance

Evening Rob, long time no see indeedy...hope you're well chap.

Have you run vcds on the car yet?
It is correct that the ecu does learn from use, well more of a case that it re-calibrates to your specific driving style and that applies to the throttle setting too.

I doubt the flat battery over a period of time will have made that much impact , but hey it is always possible.

try vcds or similar to check everything is running normally and then re think your next step.

Anyway , probs aside , whats happening on your bus Rob, all the goodies on now.

Any fault lamps illuminated Rob?
If it feels like a lack of boost or power maybe check the wiring connector on the DV isn't disconnected , it does happen, had it myself some time ago.

Evening Rob,

All good thanks bud, hope you’re well too.
Not run as scan as I don’t have vcds myself, although my mate had run it prior to the battery running down and all was well.
He coded in the cruise control and fitted new rear abs sensors, clutch and break switches as they all showed up as the only errors previously. When scanning afterwards all was well.
I’ve really not had enough time to drive it properly, about ten miles all in but it feels like the boost is lacking, there’s no kick and throw you back into the seat feeling.
I do remember certain Revo maps can be lost when the battery has been disconnected or drained for some time, I’m running a custom map from Unicorn so hoping it’s not be affected by the dead battery.
It’s just odd, the car seems to be running fine otherwise.
Not had a chance to really test the 18z’s yet but they are a definite improvement over stock!
It’s had a sump clean, new pick up pipe, oil & filter and new break pipes and hoses all round.
The Eibach ARB’s front & rear, 034 engine mounts, Sachs clutch & LUK DMF and new OEM headlights are now on.
I’m waiting for some time off and a dry day to test them all out... oh and when I get my power back too!

No fault lamps illuminated. Will check the wiring on the DV after work tomorrow as that’s a good shout.