De-Chroming the A5!

jminns

Reaction score
Website
www.jminnsdesign.co.uk
Had my B9 A5 coupe just over 6 months now and clocked up 10k. Been thinking about some subtle mods to do. Already done the Audi Ring Puddle Lights

I was never a fan of the chrome trims on my old B8 A4 Avant and said I didn't really want them again but was one of the compromises when this spec came upon Audi Approved Used.

Anyways couldn't find too many decent photos of the B9 grills that had been blacked out. So decided to photoshop some up and thought I'd share here for any of you on the fence about doing it.

Safe to safe I've made my mind up! - Think it makes the car look much meaner!

Screen Shot 2018 04 23 at 095852

Screen Shot 2018 04 23 at 095811

I like it. Looking at getting my new A5 grill wrapped the same. If only Audi did a Black Edition

Dechromed mine the best I could, the black grill is out there as UK is the only country where you couldn't get a black optics pack. I reckon the black edition will be in the 68 plates or potentially the 19 plates.

30223404 10155965751850932 311706914 o

I am a big fan of a dechromed A5. I had a 2015 A5 Coupe Black Edition which looked superb, now I am lucky enough to have a 2018 S5 Coupe but the downside was that there was no dechrome option and, other than the mirrors, I'm not a big fan of the chrome grill and window trims.

Anyone have any advice on how to DIY dechrome? (It is leased so I can't really paint it)

I am a big fan of a dechromed A5. I had a 2015 A5 Coupe Black Edition which looked superb, now I am lucky enough to have a 2018 S5 Coupe but the downside was that there was no dechrome option and, other than the mirrors, I'm not a big fan of the chrome grill and window trims.

Anyone have any advice on how to DIY dechrome? (It is leased so I can't really paint it)

Vinyl Wrap, you'd be looking between £200-£500, dependent on the company.

Picking my white A5 coupe up in September then getting it de chromed by a wrap company. Cost is £560 which includes window surrounds, wing mirrors, grill and RS5 type black stripe thing to break up the sides a bit.

Could get it cheaper but did some research and the guys I am using are really good. Didn’t see the point of scrimping on a £45k car!

Reactions: Cecmonic
I realised as I wrote it that adding a cosmetic DIY mod to £50k of precision engineering was going to be something i'll regret later.
I have contacted Monster Wraps in Southampton for a quote as they look professional and are very local to me.

Picking my white A5 coupe up in September then getting it de chromed by a wrap company. Cost is £560 which includes window surrounds, wing mirrors, grill and RS5 type black stripe thing to break up the sides a bit.

Could get it cheaper but did some research and the guys I am using are really good. Didn’t see the point of scrimping on a £45k car!

£560 ... ouch.

Mine was £200 for the window, grill and sides.

I paid £1200 for the whole car to be wrapped though.

Hi Benji, like I said, I could have got it cheaper but was concerned over quality of finish. For example one company said they couldn’t wrap the mirrors and would have to paint them instead.

Received really professional quote and engagement from the company I am going with so hopefully the end result will justify the cost.

Your car looks great by the way

Hi there, would it be possible to post pictures after the de chrome? I have an A5 coming soon, in black, S Line and would like to de chrome also but by vinyl wrap only, don’t want to paint. - The window surrounds certainly need to go!

Many thanks.

If anyone has any photos that would be super appreciated, i essentially want to achieve a “stealth spec”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys

New to the forum and came across this thread.. I’ve not long dechromed all my s5 coupe...

Attachments

• 0A41A93F-EC97-4151-BA59-E7F36A7FF2CD.jpeg
    0A41A93F-EC97-4151-BA59-E7F36A7FF2CD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3,585
  • 4190E203-93A5-4458-9AFE-6892CBD7819F.jpeg
    4190E203-93A5-4458-9AFE-6892CBD7819F.jpeg
    700.7 KB · Views: 3,727
  • 19650C26-EA97-4A29-B1C2-E9EAA49114FB.jpeg
    19650C26-EA97-4A29-B1C2-E9EAA49114FB.jpeg
    932.2 KB · Views: 3,735
Reactions: dp_motley and 007dan91
Hi there, would it be possible to post pictures after the de chrome? I have an A5 coming soon, in black, S Line and would like to de chrome also but by vinyl wrap only, don’t want to paint. - The window surrounds certainly need to go!

Many thanks.

If anyone has any photos that would be super appreciated, i essentially want to achieve a “stealth spec”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

Pictures before and after

Attachments

• 9DD3043A-B2B5-4D60-BD33-2ADC8B9713BA.jpeg
    9DD3043A-B2B5-4D60-BD33-2ADC8B9713BA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,354
  • D1CB0B9D-190F-46A7-A722-C28792341F20.jpeg
    D1CB0B9D-190F-46A7-A722-C28792341F20.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17,227
Reactions: S32B
Nice! I like the look of that, I'd dechrome the bottom of the bumper though personally :)

Had my B9 A5 coupe just over 6 months now and clocked up 10k. Been thinking about some subtle mods to do. Already done the Audi Ring Puddle Lights

I was never a fan of the chrome trims on my old B8 A4 Avant and said I didn't really want them again but was one of the compromises when this spec came upon Audi Approved Used.

Anyways couldn't find too many decent photos of the B9 grills that had been blacked out. So decided to photoshop some up and thought I'd share here for any of you on the fence about doing it.

Safe to safe I've made my mind up! - Think it makes the car look much meaner!

View attachment 153968

View attachment 153969
Hi James, Have you have the grill wrapped? thanks, Ollie

Dechromed mine the best I could, the black grill is out there as UK is the only country where you couldn't get a black optics pack. I reckon the black edition will be in the 68 plates or potentially the 19 plates.

View attachment 154018
Hi Benji, was your whole grill originally all chrome before?

It was yeah, I haven't got that on anymore though!

It did look much better wrapped, but where I de-chromed the rest it looked good. The only part I'm unsure on modding is the S Line bit on the side of the car now to black

Attachments

• car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13,487
Mine's Black, in today getting the back diffuser in Carbon wrap, black trim and windows tinted - I'll put picks up later :) I'm hesitant to get the grill done, but by the way yours looked, It will be worth doing!

Makes a huge difference, the black edition next year has a few other bits added but for me the fact my window trims are glossy black instead of matte was better.

I left the rear diffuser and luckily had privacy glass as standard, defo makes the car look meaner. Had a few people compare it to a mustang!

That sounds good, ahaha! that's mad, How come you don't have the black gloss grill now?

I've got the aftermarket RS5 one on now, love the look of it

What an idiot! I've just seen the picture you attached... It looks really nice.. I'm debating mine.. Would it void an Audi warranty though? Where did you also get the grill from? Thanks Benji

Hi Ollie

Yes was easy to get wrapped.

Must admit I like that grill Benji! Was it expensive? Hard to fit?

Has anyone got a side shot of the vinyl around the window. Or could highlight where the vinyl joins are?

My Grill was £300, and a bit of a pig to install tbh - had to get a new piece of the foam crashbar and then cut to make it fit.

Wasn't as plug and play as I'd have hoped but it looks miles better and the fact there are honeycomb bits around the rest of the bumper is a bonus

I realised as I wrote it that adding a cosmetic DIY mod to £50k of precision engineering was going to be something i'll regret later.
I have contacted Monster Wraps in Southampton for a quote as they look professional and are very local to me.

Ha yea - with my A4 however I just eBayed an old semi-broken grill and practised on it .. one test was so good that I regretted I couldn't fit it haha

still interested in getting mine de-chromed but has anyone got any close up pictures how the vinyl goes on, want to know/see the vinyl wrap joins. specially on a sportsback

thanks

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help.

I have a 2018 S5 coupe with the carbon pack etc however I want to de chrome the grille and window surrounds. I’m not sure what to do? Wrap or paint? I’m thinking also when I come to sell it maybe a wrap would be a better option?

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help.

I have a 2018 S5 coupe with the carbon pack etc however I want to de chrome the grille and window surrounds. I’m not sure what to do? Wrap or paint? I’m thinking also when I come to sell it maybe a wrap would be a better option?

I’ve dechromed my whole car other than mirrors. windows, front bumper, rear diffuser, badges, gloss black side skirts, door handles.. also wrapped the half roof and boot spoiler in a Matt carbon. the window surrounds and side skirts are wrapped and everything else sprayed.. I did spray the standard s5 grill but I’ve swapped it out for an rs5 replica grill now

I’ve dechromed my whole car other than mirrors. windows, front bumper, rear diffuser, badges, gloss black side skirts, door handles.. also wrapped the half roof and boot spoiler in a Matt carbon. the window surrounds and side skirts are wrapped and everything else sprayed.. I did spray the standard s5 grill but I’ve swapped it out for an rs5 replica grill now

28FF10B8 513E 438E B609 802169C24E51

Reactions: V6 Quatt and Craig999
Love it! Did you spray your side skirts or did you order them like that? Everyone iv asked have said i cant spray it due to the plastic texture

You know what, I can’t remember tbh... they are correct though on both fronts, the wrap wouldn’t stick to the textured nature of the skirts unless they were sanded down and to be painted they’d need to be sanded and primed anyway.. pretty sure they were sanded and wrapped

You know what, I can’t remember tbh... they are correct though on both fronts, the wrap wouldn’t stick to the textured nature of the skirts unless they were sanded down and to be painted they’d need to be sanded and primed anyway.. pretty sure they were sanded and wrapped
Ok thank you. Do you know if they ended up taking them off to sand them?