De chrome

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
I bought some vinyl to have a go at wrapping my chrome window surrounds and whilst I was fiddling with it I realised that all the parts could be removed from the car. After finding this out i just decided to paint them, really happy with the result. No nasty vinyl edges or folds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Potterswheel, S3tuart, OCDaveS4 and 2 others
And there’s me, wishing for chrome moldings instead of black ones. One mans trash is another mans treasure, huh.

Reactions: Starry
I believe the ones that sit on the window are removable, but I don’t think the ones AROUND it are.

I believe the ones that sit on the window are removable, but I don’t think the ones AROUND it are.
Yeah, they just pop off, need to be careful as its fairly flimsy stuff.

What paint did you use ?
I keyed them up with some abrasive scotchbright then a couple of coats of etching primer, quick nib down with some wet 800 grit then some heavy coats of gloss black, all came from Halfrauds.....£20 all in.

Reactions: RS3KEY, shaunwo01 and Neil C
Actually looks a very professional finish mate. I'm actually in the same boat (was considering vinyl wrapping) but reckon a paint would be more long lasting and maybe look more "authentic"
Not sure if the trim on mine pops out, any tips for me to give it a try mate?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Actually looks a very professional finish mate. I'm actually in the same boat (was considering vinyl wrapping) but reckon a paint would be more long lasting and maybe look more "authentic"
Not sure if the trim on mine pops out, any tips for me to give it a try mate?

The Chucky ones that run along the bottom just pull up, start at either end and pull up, they are tight but with a bit if effort they just pop up. On the front ones you'll need to remove the little gloss triangle by removing a screw inside the door behind a plastic grommet.
The tops also pull out in a similar way, just be careful not to bend it. The rear corner is the same. Just need to be careful not to bend any.
Replacing it is trickier, but its not to bad, just use washing up liquid and they'll pop in.

Reactions: Adam14
The Chucky ones that run along the bottom just pull up, start at either end and pull up, they are tight but with a bit if effort they just pop up. On the front ones you'll need to remove the little gloss triangle by removing a screw inside the door behind a plastic grommet.
The tops also pull out in a similar way, just be careful not to bend it. The rear corner is the same. Just need to be careful not to bend any.
Replacing it is trickier, but its not to bad, just use washing up liquid and they'll pop in.
Thanks! Will give it a go this weekend, hopefully goes well!

Gave it a go and doesn't seem to be budging. Don't really wanted to bend it or break it.
Think S5 coupe may be a lot different as the chrome piece is one big bit, with the only break on the bottom part for the door (top bit is unbroken)

Gave it a go and doesn't seem to be budging. Don't really wanted to bend it or break it.
Think S5 coupe may be a lot different as the chrome piece is one big bit, with the only break on the bottom part for the door (top bit is unbroken)

Ah, hadn't realised you were in an S5, probably completely different setup to mine.

Reactions: Adam14
And there’s me, wishing for chrome moldings instead of black ones. One mans trash is another mans treasure, huh.

I’ll swap my chrome for your blacked out ones hahahaaaa

I’ll swap my chrome for your blacked out ones hahahaaaa

Really? My black ones came like this from the factory and the chrome ones are so much better imo. If you’re serious send me a PM. I don’t mind sending mine first so you don’t have to drive without any until mine arrive, I have an extra car.

I keyed them up with some abrasive scotchbright then a couple of coats of etching primer, quick nib down with some wet 800 grit then some heavy coats of gloss black, all came from Halfrauds.....£20 all in.

Did you clear coat them? I’ve tried spraying bits and bats in the past and always struggled with the clear coat hence why I don’t want to try and spray them myself and make a mess of them all!

I would deffo swap them I just don’t have the balls to even attempt to remove them without braking one lol

Did you clear coat them? I’ve tried spraying bits and bats in the past and always struggled with the clear coat hence why I don’t want to try and spray them myself and make a mess of them all!

Nope, they’re not glossy black, just black rubber.

Ah, hadn't realised you were in an S5, probably completely different setup to mine.
Yeah think mine is screwed in. It's one big piece with the only break being where the door is (no break in the top as with it being a coupe the window slots in to the top).
Apologies should have been clearer. Think I'll be forced to just get it wrapped by someone.

I bought some vinyl to have a go at wrapping my chrome window surrounds and whilst I was fiddling with it I realised that all the parts could be removed from the car. After finding this out i just decided to paint them, really happy with the result. No nasty vinyl edges or folds.

Thank you for posting this. I had gone with Vinyl a few years ago and really did not like the folds and edges. I pulled them off after a couple of weeks. I have always wanted to go black optics. I have searched a lot and finally found another 8V with the trim taken off to be painted. This is great. How is it paint holding up for you?

And here I am just about to order the wrap and black out my trim and you’ve come out with this, I would much rather paint my trims but was worried about the trim removal. I’m understanding how you removed the bottom window trims but could you explain how the upper trims are fitted, are there individual clips on the trim or are they held on by the rubber in a groove, a bit of a wish but did you have any pics of the back of the trim.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Wrapping trims now cancelled.

Reactions: Fatbloke
This is my rear one that is removed currently as I have had them painted they just pull out slowly with a trim tool aim for where the clips are

Attachments

• DDC2501B-DC3A-4067-A2D2-148A0A2437F4.jpeg
    DDC2501B-DC3A-4067-A2D2-148A0A2437F4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
Reactions: stubbly46
Hope this helps
thank you so much for this, it explains it well, so are there two clips on the top of each window at the rear, do the fronts have three? due to the curve of the trim?
On the attached file it says about removing the window of the rear quarter lite to straighten the tabs of the trim at the bottom, is this correct. Sorry for the questions I just want to make sure I don’t damage the trims as I’ve heard they’re expensive to replace.
Thanks once again.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. How about the straight trims at the bottom? Do they just pop out?
This is my rear one that is removed currently as I have had them painted they just pull out slowly with a trim tool aim for where the clips are

thank you so much for this, it explains it well, so are there two clips on the top of each window at the rear, do the fronts have three? due to the curve of the trim?
On the attached file it says about removing the window of the rear quarter lite to straighten the tabs of the trim at the bottom, is this correct. Sorry for the questions I just want to make sure I don’t damage the trims as I’ve heard they’re expensive to replace.
Thanks once again.
I did not straighten any tabs i just removed very carefully by pulling it outwards then pushed it from the bottom corner to un attach the clips.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. How about the straight trims at the bottom? Do they just pop out?
Some people have just pulled them out by lifting upwards with mine I popped off the door card and brought the tool that releases the trim.

The part no for the tools is T40219 brought mine from Tom ( Creweaudiparts ) on the forum

Attachments

• B3661CD5-7351-4040-B898-54DDA7F500B6.jpeg
    B3661CD5-7351-4040-B898-54DDA7F500B6.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 128
Yeah seem to be good I have pressure washed it a fair few times so far and seem to hold well. I think the main part of it is getting the chrome prepped and using a etch primer although I am no paint expert

Yeah seem to be good I have pressure washed it a fair few times so far and seem to hold well. I think the main part of it is getting the chrome prepped and using a etch primer although I am no paint expert

Cool. Did you paint it yourself?

Did you paint the front grill surround? How does that hold up?