De-Chrome wrap - tell me I'm being too picky?

Locoblade

Reaction score
Hi Chaps

I had my S4's chrome wrapped black today and overall they've done a brilliant job. However, there's a couple of really small bits that just aren't as perfect as the rest and it's bugging me a bit, but I'm not sure whether to raise it with them or whether I'm just being a bit too OCD!

Both areas are on the same strip above the drivers door, one looks like it was just trimmed marginally short or the heat has made it shrink back a little too much so from some angles you can still see a sliver of chrome, the other looks like it snagged or kinked slightly when being trimmed and has a small chunk missing. Neither are visible when looking at the car side on and I'm sure only I would ever notice it, but just thought I'd ask opinions :)

This one is on the A pillar about in line with the wing mirror (which is top left of photo, out of focus). You can't see the exposed chrome from side-on view but can when viewing from the front of the car

This one is above the drivers door looking down, there's the little nick missing in the wrap (left arrow) and also a very light scratch in the paint lacquer about an inch long which looks as though it was caught by a trimming knife. The scratch is hardly noticable as it's almost in behind the trim so not too worried about it really, but can be seen from above if you look down on it.

So, feel free to tell me I'm being overly picky if you think I am! As I said the rest is indistinguishable from OEM black trim and really is a truly excellent job so given that I'd rather not have them label me as a difficult punter should I have any issues down the line that need them to rectify, I don't want to go back if the above is commonplace with wrapping and I'm lucky that they're the only minor flaws, plus both could probably be virtually hidden with a dab of permanent black marker pen! It wasn't the cheapest quote I had though and was done by a very well respected company so if the above is not what you'd expect to see then perhaps I'm not being too harsh!

The scratch would have me livid, the wrap would annoy me. I would go back, I would expect them to re-do it till your happy and put you right with a machine polish to remove the scratch. If they don't offer paint correction they will know someone who can

Reactions: Locoblade
Is it reasonable to expect perfection?

Do these blemishses scream out at you, or do you have to go looking to see them?

Can you live with it?

That's the question really and having not had anything wrapped before I have nothing to compare it with to say if that's par for the course or not. In some ways they've probably done too good a job elsewhere as ignoring the scratch for a moment, if there were similar bits cut slightly short elsewhere then I'd just have put it down to a limitation of the process not being able to get to absolutely every nook and cranny without taking trim off etc, it's just this stood out because the rest was so spot on as if this was the first bit they did before they had coffee or the apprentice was given this one bit to do compared to the rest done by the experienced pro.

It won't bother me massively but I know they are there if you know what I mean, a bit like finding a new stone chip that you then always spot again whenever having a closer look at the car and you know is no longer perfect.

I would go back to them, you have paid for a service that you haven't received..That would annoy me knowing it was like that so i would just take it back and explain

It won't bother me massively but I know they are there if you know what I mean, a bit like finding a new stone chip that you then always spot again whenever having a closer look at the car and you know is no longer perfect.

I'm with you on this. My S4 acquired its first chip when it was three days old. I'd certainly raise it with the business.

Reactions: V6 Quatt and Locoblade
Workmanship not acceptable IMO, take it back and get it sorted, it'll bug you if you don't.
JG

A positive outcome, had a chat with the owner this morning having pinged him an email with the photos and he was apologetic and more than happy to rectify saying it should be perfect.

I didn't mention the "scratch" in the end as on subsequent inspection I think it might even be just a line of dried wax that's not been buffed away previously and then disturbed as having found something small enough to get in there and give it a quick wipe it's pretty much disappeared now. Even if it is an actual scratch its so light that I'm sure it will be gone with a little bit more time spent on it so not a worry either way.

Reactions: jdp1962, RS5 JON and scotty76
If your not happy take it back, what might be tiny to other will drive you mad. The garage put a tiny and I mean tiny dent in my door, when I walk up to it, I know it's there, it looks like the Grand Canyon to me.

A positive outcome, had a chat with the owner this morning having pinged him an email with the photos and he was apologetic and more than happy to rectify saying it should be perfect.

I didn't mention the "scratch" in the end as on subsequent inspection I think it might even be just a line of dried wax that's not been buffed away previously and then disturbed as having found something small enough to get in there and give it a quick wipe it's pretty much disappeared now. Even if it is an actual scratch its so light that I'm sure it will be gone with a little bit more time spent on it so not a worry either way.
Good outcome.

You shouldn't need to cut/trim the wrap running along the roof. I found if you cut a strip oversized but not massive you can tuck it down the back of the strip with a credit card and hair dryer. If you do go slightly over size keep working it with the hair dryer and card. The card will then act as a knife and cut the excess free.

Yeh good to take it back as I would...you it's your pride and joy

Reactions: Locoblade and RS5 JON

Do these blemishses scream out at you, or do you have to go looking to see them?

Can you live with it?
If it was me, the answer to these questions would be -

Yes
Oh yes
Defo no

But @Locoblade pleased its sorted (or going to be) for you buddy.Pics when done plez ;) :D

If your not happy take it back, what might be tiny to other will drive you mad. The garage put a tiny and I mean tiny dent in my door, when I walk up to it, I know it's there, it looks like the Grand Canyon to me.
Some people pay good money to go to see the Grand Canyon.
And you get to see it for free every morning?
You lucky, lucky man!

(I'll get me coat...)