De chrome window surrounds opinions/advice!

Nutrienthorse

Reaction score
Ok so today I am plasti dipping my chrome window surrounds that have gone all milky, which is a shame because I really like the chrome, but I realise now it's impossible to restore it.
I am currently arguing with my dad as he thinks i should keep the top part of the surrounds chrome as they are ok, and just paint the bottom bit. I think this will look stupid. So opinions on that please?
Also I'm thinking about doing the chrome bit on the rear bumper, so the only chrome will be on the front grill and the brushed aluminium roof rails.
So yeah, all thoughts welcome?!
Cheers!

I have an S4 cab and am wrapping all external chrome with carbon fibre wrap. So far I'm pleased with the results but I do need to do the dreaded mirrors!

I can't load any pictures though!

Reactions: DrStrange and Nutrienthorse
Kneller has done this to his, he has a thread in this section. Looks pretty good IMHO. I personally prefer the chrome but I know what you mean about them going milky, maybe someone used some G101 cleaner on them at some point and they could do with a good cut/polish?

Reactions: Nutrienthorse
Wrap matt black.

Like below (All window chrome and bottom of mirror wrapped mat black)

Car Side 1

Ok, i was all set for black trim, then at the last minute my dad had secretly bought a can of "chrome" rustoleum spray paint. Ideally I wanted to stay chrome, so it was worth a try. Masked up a section to test it on, and the results are pretty good. It's more aluminium looking, like the roof rails and obviously it's
IMG 4814
not body shop quality but this was done outside and I didn't have any primer to use either. So il do the rest later, but properly. Here's a photo of the difference.

Reactions: Roland Wong, DieselJake and Oggi
Its looks a lot better in that before and after pic, Nutrienthorse. Would you need a sealer for the paint as well?

Its looks a lot better in that before and after pic, Nutrienthorse. Would you need a sealer for the paint as well?
I'm not sure, the weather is rubbish just now so I'll see how this test area wears. If it starts to deteriorate, I'd look to seal it with a non-glossy coat of something. If not I'll do it all like this. Worst case scenario is I have to do it again.
It would be cool if this helps people turn milky chrome trim an aluminium colour, but just be aware I have no idea what I'm doing! Haha!

I'm sure there must be a way to restore them back ?
From what I've read on here and other sources, it seems that many Vag cars suffer from chrome trim perishing. It's seems there are many opinions as to what the chrome trim is actually made of but the common thought is that it's a metal with a chromed plastic coating, so if it's looked after it's fine, but if it's not it can't be polished etc like actual metal.
edit- I think people that don't realise it's not really chrome, (because it's not that obvious) and use abrasive metal polishes may actually make it worse. I think the milkyness on mine is caused by water.

Last edited:
The trim isn't Crome .. it's painted to look like Crome

Check out my build thread if you want to see what gloss black wrap looks like with KPMF as the wrapping quality.

Top 2 are probably 'Avery' and 'KPMF'

Ok, i was all set for black trim, then at the last minute my dad had secretly bought a can of "chrome" rustoleum spray paint. Ideally I wanted to stay chrome, so it was worth a try. Masked up a section to test it on, and the results are pretty good. It's more aluminium looking, like the roof rails and obviously it's View attachment 126018 not body shop quality but this was done outside and I didn't have any primer to use either. So il do the rest later, but properly. Here's a photo of the difference.

So, were you able to successfully paint all the trim to match the "chrome-aluminum" finish. If you were successful post up some pictures...