Daytime running lights creating confusion for other drivers

I will do (should they come on as soon as the ignition is on?), left the car at my in-laws' yesterday as I'm giving their Smart Roadster a little run to keep it going

PFL doesn’t by standard but I’ve changed them to always on at the rear.

I’m probably one of the annoying buggers who sometimes only has front and rear Drl on at dusk. Usually town driving where you wouldn’t legally need headlights on even at night and I definitely don’t need headlights to see where I’m going. Other road users can see me from DRLs and they are very bright.

I do find even on the lowest sensitivity that headlights come on quite early but maybe that’s just me being a plonker :)

PFL doesn’t by standard but I’ve changed them to always on at the rear.

I’m probably one of the annoying buggers who sometimes only has front and rear Drl on at dusk. Usually town driving where you wouldn’t legally need headlights on even at night and I definitely don’t need headlights to see where I’m going. Other road users can see me from DRLs and they are very bright.

I do find even on the lowest sensitivity that headlights come on quite early but maybe that’s just me being a plonker :)

Agree that the auto lights come on quite early but way I see it is you need to give all the blond idiots out there a chance to see you. I dont know why since going from my a6 to s3 I keep getting cut off at roundabouts, people coming out of junctions in front of me etc, it’s like the s3 is invisible.

Agree that the auto lights come on quite early but way I see it is you need to give all the blond idiots out there a chance to see you. I dont know why since going from my a6 to s3 I keep getting cut off at roundabouts, people coming out of junctions in front of me etc, it’s like the s3 is invisible.

I think the A3/S3 is so sleek and sexy that it’s deceptive how fast it’s coming toward you. That plus people are dozy idiots.

The DRLs are crazy bright. I have PFL LED with the led indicators and when I’m 15 cars back in a queue my indicator is lighting up signage more than the 15 cars ahead put together.

I think the A3/S3 is so sleek and sexy that it’s deceptive how fast it’s coming toward you. That plus people are dozy idiots.

The DRLs are crazy bright. I have PFL LED with the led indicators and when I’m 15 cars back in a queue my indicator is lighting up signage more than the 15 cars ahead put together.
Think it’s the same with all led indicators, wife’s car is the same. They are more directional so gets more distance forward unlike the old halogen bulbs that mearly gives an orange glow.

@The_Ironist how did you enable this? VCDS? If so can you please let me know where I can find the steps to do this as I have a friend with VCDS.

Newbie question but how do you know if you've got LEDs? I think my DRLs are LED but don't have many added extras and don't recall anything about lights so does that mean I don't have LEDs?

@The_Ironist how did you enable this? VCDS? If so can you please let me know where I can find the steps to do this as I have a friend with VCDS.

Newbie question but how do you know if you've got LEDs? I think my DRLs are LED but don't have many added extras and don't recall anything about lights so does that mean I don't have LEDs?

Yep VCDS here’s how:
28985AC2 DB85 4212 852D 608BD657E692

The DRLs are LED but they only work as indicators if you have the LED headlights instead of xenon headlights.

Xenon:
F4238B8A 9BC8 4C90 B999 960924325D3B

LED:
F7A5D7B0 5F6A 403A 9E1F 149528503E6D

Reactions: HertS3 and Ron240
Thanks for that info @The_Ironist I’ve got xenons. When I turned in ignition earlier it must’ve been too dark as my headlamps and rear lights were on but looks like I won’t have rear DRLs

Thanks for that info @The_Ironist I’ve got xenons. When I turned in ignition earlier it must’ve been too dark as my headlamps and rear lights were on but looks like I won’t have rear DRLs

If you’re PFL they won’t be will need to do the VCDS

Although I don't do very many miles a year, I keep my headlight switch permanently in the on position even though I have halogen lamps. After four and a half years / 18,000 miles I've just had my first lamp failure - and that was a Philips X-treme Vision +100% bulb, so has a lower life because of the higher light output. So I wouldn't be unduly worried about lamp life, even with halogen bulbs.

Reactions: Phutters
I like rear D.R.L's. & had them activated on my last car ,RS3 16 plate. Would like them activated on my SQ5 now.

Realised that I can turn on rear lights by using the rear fog light button on near the steering wheel so I’ll just do that when it’s dull / dark / very wet.
Don’t have front fogs, maybe because I’ve got xenons (?)

Realised that I can turn on rear lights by using the rear fog light button on near the steering wheel so I’ll just do that when it’s dull / dark / very wet.
Don’t have front fogs, maybe because I’ve got xenons (?)
You sure? I don't know the car, but on my car it's the button above the rear fogs. Looks like dipped lights and picture of a raining/snowing cloud.
You must have fog lights on the front.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Oh and another small but not insignificant point - I can't see any bulbs under the headlights where fogs would be!!

Does your light dial pull out? In my dad's A1 you pull the light switch towards you and that activates the fogs.

The fog lights on my S3 (Led) are part of the light cluster, front and back. May be same for yours, might be worth reading the manual as you should definitely have front fog lights.
Oh and another small but not insignificant point - I can't see any bulbs under the headlights where fogs would be!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PFL (2015) S3 with folding mirrors only (I believe), everything else standard and I'm in UK

Well that's odd. What does it say in your handbook? As it happens I have a handbook for the pfl A3/S3 dated November 2014 and it clearly states that these models have front and rear foglights, with separate push button switches for each to the left of the main lighting switch.