1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Day running lights

Rjw76 Jun 3, 2020

1. Rjw76

Rjw76 Member

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any retrofit options to allow the day running lights to be turned off? Or has anyone done this modification themselves? I understand the purpose of the lights, but I've never really liked them, and I hate that I don't have the option to use them or not! You can do this on my wife's 8P A3, but unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a factory option on the 8V.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Walternate

Walternate the 1st 5 days after the weekend are the hardest

Module 09
    Security Access 16 – 31347
    Adaptions 10
    Daytime running lights – Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO
    > set Active, Not Active (Active = OFF in ‘0’)

Using VCDS, DRL off with light switch position set to '0'

4. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

If you pop over to the 8V VCDS thread there are further codings that can dictate how the light behave depending on which switch position is selected. There is also a toggle menu which is possible to activate. If you don't have access to coding tools then you can click on the VCDS map link at the top of the forum and message someone close to you who can assist. I off coding sessions in north London.

5. Rjw76

Rjw76 Member

Thank you both for your quick replies... I'll take a look at the VCDS threads.

6. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Active Member

Never really understood the mentality of people who want to remove safety systems that make your car safer for both you and other road users in exchange for some minor aesthetic difference. I run with my dipped beams on permanently!

Bah, humbug etc.

CraigM, Peter82, zac7654321 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Gold Supporter

There is no user option to turn them off because their use has been a legal requirement on new vehicles for some time now.
    LED has low power consumption and is(or should be) long lasting, plus there is their main purpose to consider - safety.
    I don't get why anybody would want to turn them off.
    My car also has rear DRL, and at first I wasn't keen on the rear lights being on all the time.....but now I actually like it. :)

JohnM100 likes this.
  8. Damo S

Damo S Well-Known Member

Me too, and I dont think there is any bah humbug about it. I also use bright lights on my bike when Im out cycling during the day too. It means you have a better chance of being seen by someone who doesnt look or cant see properly, and trust me there are plenty of them.

CraigM likes this.
  9. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc Active Member

Yeah, I have 250 front and 80 lumen back daylight flashers on my bike too!

Damo S likes this.
  10. Audidi

Audidi Useful idiot

DRL are a lifesaver when there are so many blind idiots out there.
    Scandi DRL (rear) was the first thing I did with obdeleven.

Peter82 and zac7654321 like this.
  11. Rjw76

Rjw76 Member

@Walternate thanks for this - I've just tried to do this and get to the point where I can see the "Daytime running lights - Tagfahrlicht....." channel, but I can't see any option to set to Active/Not Active - are you able to explain how to do that? In the 'Stored value' window it says: " ERROR: Channel Not Available" - I don't know if that is relevant?

Thanks!

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Peter82

Peter82 Member

Rear DRLs ? which audi and year ? but that's another quite idea from EU cars.. because I was on the highway (mortorway) and it was strong downpour couldn't see a thing cars spraying on the road and many idiots they just don't turn the lights on ... So you don't see car properly in front of you... it is ridiculous .. I flashed on some idiots and they STILL didn't turn them on .. When is hammering like this, I even turn stronger fog rears so red lights are even stronger..

14. Peter82

Peter82 Member

Why you want to do this for ?

15. Walternate

Walternate the 1st 5 days after the weekend are the hardest

I can only surmise your car does not support the changes in this case.

16. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Gold Supporter

It was an early 2018 S3.
    First car I've had where the rear lights are on permanently with the front DRL. I was unsure of it to begin with, but quickly came to think it is actually a good idea.
    To make things completely idiot proof what you need is front and rear DRL together with auto lights that cannot be turned off. :D
    My previous car had auto lights that couldn't be turned off but no rear DRL.

17. rafletcher

rafletcher Active Member

That prompted me to check my March 2018 S3. Sure enough, rear lights on all the time. Good.

Ron240 likes this.