Daws88 My Sportback build thread!

Just a quick update, nothing major due to mot and tax being main priorities....there out of the way now thankfully!

So in between sorting the boring stuff out i have de wipered the rear and fitted nightbreaker headlights (which seem way to bright)

I have also ordered a set of JOM coilovers. Basically cant really afford to save extra for a premium brand as i need the speedlines on asap as i was told that my standard front tyres are at the bare minimum.
I have been quoted a stupid price to get the colis fitted..
£280 all in...£70 a side!! That seems steep!?

Also had to take the rear number plate off as apparently the old bill said that the cameras wouldnt be able to trace the car if stolen due to the font size etc.

Anyway, heres a couple of pictures until i get the coils and wheels fitted. Couple of weeks hopefully!

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Don't pay that mate... There having your pants down there.

Either do them yourself or go somewere else... I paid £70 and helped out a little and I mean did next to nothing really lol.

Looking good all blacked out man!

Don't pay that mate... There having your pants down there.

Either do them yourself or go somewere else... I paid £70 and helped out a little and I mean did next to nothing really lol.

Looking good all blacked out man!

Got another quote off the guy who quoted me the £280 and the other guy quoted £150.

Thanks Warren. Unsure what lamin-x to go for..subtle tint or gun smoke?

As warren said fella that price is far too much. Any be worth asking on the forum if some one local can fit them if you pay be alot cheaper than a garage. I did the same as Warren got two mates to do it and just helped along the way. Car looks good cant wait to see the speedlines and it lowered.
I'd say for lamin-x get tint and not gun smoked. Tint is the most popular option. I got gunsmoke and some times im 50/50 on them :laugh:

As a guide G-werks did my fronts for £90 and I did the rears (easier) myself.

As warren said fella that price is far too much. Any be worth asking on the forum if some one local can fit them if you pay be alot cheaper than a garage. I did the same as Warren got two mates to do it and just helped along the way. Car looks good cant wait to see the speedlines and it lowered.
I'd say for lamin-x get tint and not gun smoked. Tint is the most popular option. I got gunsmoke and some times im 50/50 on them :laugh:

Seems like subtle tint is the best chocie to go for then. Clearly the guy who quoted that price is trying to con me.
Cant wait to get the speedlines on either, its been a long and stressful wait!

As a guide G-werks did my fronts for £90 and I did the rears (easier) myself.

Thats a big difference in price isnt it. Will get it all done by a pro though lol.

Coilovers fitted!! :wub:
I got Joms in the end, happy with the comfort so far. But it's scraping on a few speedbumps already!

Will be ordering tyres this weekend, slowly getting there.

Have also been doing a few carbon bits.

Have bought shortened plates but need advice on a problem on the rear bootlid...where the old plates have been screwed into the body work, the holes show when I put the shortened plate on. Any solution to covering these holes??

Just had my wheels fitted to the tyres...to say im unhappy is a ****ing understatement!!! :mad:

Pics to follow...

Well the guy who fitted them has blamed the 215 tyres of being to small as the reason of them losing paintwork of the rim!!

The muppet needed to fit them on the backs .Can you not touch the paint up ?I f the paint comes off that easy i would tape them up and paint strip the lip .then polish them myself ....Its not as bad as it looks

even grab a can of spray and spray the lips

What an anoyance !

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416-1.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Apologies for the iphone pics, but its clear to see that he has made a right mess of them.

Will do what you said Steve and paint the lip.
Just a pain in the **** tho!

wow - hes done a number on those wheels :S Charge him back a refurb...

And btw - they look great barring the scratches, v nice

wow - hes done a number on those wheels :S Charge him back a refurb...

And btw - they look great barring the scratches, v nice

Thanks man! :icon_thumright:

Yeh such a shame, probably too late to go and have another moan. :unsure:

If you were having trouble getting the tyres on when fitting and were in trouble of damaging the alloy wouldnt you just hold off and explain to the customer before going ahead that "there may be trouble ahead...."

I'd want support towards the refurb (if not paid in full by them) as well as a refund on the fitting, luckily (if that can be used here) its 'just' the outer rim :(

Thanks for your support guys, so ****** off, it's took away all the excitement of getting them on.
I may go to an alloy wheel refurb garage and see what they say.

It was only a little garage in Ramsgate, have always gone there, but won't be going there from now on!

Little update where I made need some help...

Me old man and his pal went back to the garage to see the guy who fitted them, he has said that they are they wrong tyre, trying to put a 7j on a 9j will make what has happened happen ok.

But he has said that if I can prove they are the correct tyre he will give my £40 for fitting back and pay for refurb. How can I prove it?

kinell does this guy have eyes. thats his skills nothing else mate i would defo make him pay for the lot now, i wouldn't leave it long and try find out from the manufacture that these tyres can go on these rims. we all know they will without any probs whatever the manufacture says so try get some solid info and get him to pay for it all.

otherwise they do look well good!

Yeh I phoned camskill and they said 8.5j is max.
Also went to the body and wheels refurb garage and he said it's the machine the guy used. He obviously didnt put the rubber protectors on.
So surely it wouldn't matter what size wheel went on, it's still his fault due to his machine.
And why the hell carry on with the other 3 after he has done one and found it a pain.

Also camskill aswel as this refurb garage have said he should accept responsability. So hopefully I get some comeback!

It's just put a complete downer on getting them fitted.
Such a lovely wheel, but the damage stands out a mile!

Didn't research or think to research, suppose thats bad on my part. Bit too late now but will learn in future.

Looking hopeful that the guy is going to pay for the refurb, if not then I will try it myself. To be honest though, why should I have too after there wrong doing..

Just hope I don't get pulled for them as it sounds like a few are getting points and fines for the stretch.
Still it looks sick though lol!

Cheers for your input chaps, will be getting a few other things sorted soon.

Ah man I'm so gutted for you. I was really looking forward to seeing these on your car. Get him to pay up I've run 215/35/19 on my 19"x9" and my tire guy had no issue getting them on

The muppet needed to fit them on the backs !

Is this right? I just assumed that they just need to be carefull with the machine when fitting the tyre over the rim? If im understanding what you are saying right, would the wheel go on the machine so they could fit it on the back of the rim?

How you finding the JOMs Daws?

Yeh it's gutting Chris, sounds like he is going to pay, hope so anyway.

I suppose I won't just go to any old garage to get them done. But even the alloy refurb place said they've never had problems, clearly just the guys machine and like N8 says his skills lol!!

They are sound Tim, really pleased with them, and as you say, for the price you can't grumble. Thanks for the information you gave me before hand. And I think that's correct with fitting them from the back, couple of people I've spoke to have said that they can be done that way.