Dave B's S3 Diary

Totally understand that mate, got the T-shirt.

I'm no expert mate, just thought your logs looked ok...

I'm the same in terms of expertise decoding the logs, everyday's a school day and all that. All feedback is welcome as well, it's good to see people read and contributing to the thread, that's what it's there for after all :beerchug:

Your boost never actually goes beyond what the map sensor can see which is a plus.

My concern is that the sensor will only read 2540, even if the boost goes beyond 2540, which in the second log it does at three timestamps :(

[Dave B];1980407 said:
My concern is that the sensor will only read 2540, even if the boost goes beyond 2540, which in the second log it does at three timestamps :(

your right ! Sorry, looking at the wrong column 😏

yeah so your boost is in excess of the map sensor, be nice to know what torque your car is producing...

your right ! Sorry, looking at the wrong column ������

yeah so your boost is in excess of the map sensor, be nice to know what torque your car is producing...

...probably more than i'd like. Before the CC map was put on it made ~310lb on Bill's rollers, which we all know are pretty conservative. I want to avoid this really before the lump turns itself inside out.

Bill, how are these plots:

logs3.jpg

logs4.jpg

RPM on x and pressure on Y...?

Any thoughts peeps? I suppose what I'm trying to do is identify if the issue is hardware or software related. The car will be going for a new map shortly so I'd like to iron out any hardware issues before it hits the rollers.

If it makes any odds, the only difference between the runs was that the first logs was slightly uphill and the second log was slightly downhill :detective2:

its making boost, the request is optomistic hence hot achieving it, but when its expected to spool, which is 3krpm up it seems to do so.

what issue do you think you have with it?

its making boost, the request is optomistic hence hot achieving it, but when its expected to spool, which is 3krpm up it seems to do so.

what issue do you think you have with it?

Good question. I'm trying to confirm that everything is working as expected prior to getting it custom mapped, so that I don't waste the mappers time and my own (something I'm sure you'd support :)). The reason for my concern is the quantity of boost that's being requested and being delivered, as it seems quite high, certainly higher than I expected. This is also with the load scale wound down by 5% (as at 100% it surges).

Maybe I've answered my own question in that, if the new map doesn't ask for so much boost, then it won't make so much and all will be good? Just looking for a second opinion really.

Ok, looks like it's staying as it is then until the mapper gets their hands on it.

First things first though, it's off to have it's cambelt changed tomorrow.

PI55ED.......actually that doesn't even come close to covering it.

The car went in for it's new cambelt yesterday. Had two minor issues before I picked it up:

1. The garage rang to advise me to change the coolant, which would cost an additional £10, I responded asking why you wouldn't change the coolant? Hence they said they would.
2. When I dropped the car off and asked them specifically not to wash it, when I picked it up they had 'washed' it, which I think they define as taking it to their local Mr. Scratch. Cheers!

Picked it up and drove it home fine. Turned it on this morning and there is a an audible metallic tapping noise coming from the cambelt end of the block, it's loud enough to hear it from the cabin. As soon as I heard it I turned it straight off. Spoke to the garage this morning and they're sending a flat bed to pick it up so they can have a look.

Words struggle to express just how pi55ed off I am :(

Jesus that's no good at all :( Hope you get it all sorted and a good buff will sort the paint out. I do hate garages.

Update time. The garage picked the car up and had a look. They told me they didn't find anything wrong when they had a look, and when I went to inspect it the noise had disappeared. Was I imagining things? I don't think so. Did they open it fix the problem and say there wasn't one, who knows and I certainly couldn't prove it anyway. Either way the car seems to run fine now with no fault codes, so hopefully all is well in the world. One things for sure though, I'll never be taking the car there again, trust lost I'm afraid.

So onwards and upwards, the car is booked in for a custom 'stage 2' map on 8th November so watch this space :icon_thumright:

Reactions: s3dave and Westy
Hell Dave,

Sorry to hear about your cambelt issues, hope all is good now.
I was wondering about your FMIC. Im looking into buying one and i want something that keeps the spots and is easy to install. I am a complete novice, therefore i don't want to be cutting bars etc. But I will have mechanical help on hand if needed. I was therefore wondering about the installation, was it hard? did it all go on perfectly? Finally, was it worth the money?

cheers,

Jordan

Jordan, sorry about the delay in responding, much has been happening over the last week which i'll report on shortly :w00t:

Anyway, back to the cooler. Assuming you've a little experience of tinkering with cars then I'd say fitment was really straight forward. Removing the old coolers took a while as some of the bolts had corroded but once they were off fitting the wagner was pretty easy (despite the instructions being in German!). The only more challenging bits were:

- Getting the hose in behind the drivers headlamp is a squeeze but it does go in.
- Fitting the mounting brackets to the top of the crash bar does require you to cut small access holes in the bottom of the crash bar. You'll need a cutting tool to do this, I used an angle grinder.

Aside from those it all went together perfectly, all hoses lined up and the bumper went back on first time with fogs intact. Was it worth the money? I reckon so, easier fitting, no bumper cutting, no boost leaks or blown hoses so far, IAT's are down on boost....no power info yet thoough as it hasn't been mapped again since.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: Jersey
Ok, update time.

Unfortunately I had to cancel the mapping appointment so she's still in the same state. I've had an issue with the immobiliser which sorted itself after a reboot thankfully. I'm planning on re-booking the appointment in Jan when Christmas is out of the way, mainly because i'm a bit skint after spunking all my money on a new car...not german, but I hope you'll approve:

v6.JPG

It's totally bonkers, I FRICKIN LOVE IT.

Reactions: kwistof, Essflee, voorhees and 4 others
I hate you so much! I used I own a Clio Sport 182 and the V6 has always been a dream car of mine. They look so sexy.

So how many cars do you own now?!

Lol, thanks Westy, really feeling the love! The current fleet is the S3, 205 GTI and the Clio, although I might sell 205 in the new year as the wife isn't keen on so many.

[Dave B];2008515 said:
Lol, thanks Westy, really feeling the love! The current fleet is the S3, 205 GTI and the Clio, although I might sell 205 in the new year as the wife isn't keen on so many.
Dave you are becoming like Jojo..but more upmarket :cool:

Reactions: [Dave B], jojo and Westy
No major update, but I emptied the catch can for the first time yesterday and there was about a cup full of smelly, oily water in it, so it must be doing its job. It then got a wash and wax to top up the winter protection.

I also treated the v6 to a battery conditioner to keep her fresh over the winter.

[Dave B];1970634 said:
Well spotted dude, that's the car that reminds me what a hot hatch should handle like!

Curborough%20Pug.jpg

cool had one too a 1.9 which had 170bhp, 40bhp over standard and unlike a lot of mods was a non turbo mod - great fund but wafer thin

cool had one too a 1.9 which had 170bhp, 40bhp over standard and unlike a lot of mods was a non turbo mod - great fund but wafer thin

I bet that was pokey. I'm on 205gtidrivers.net and there's loads of guys running ITB'd, turbo'd and even v6 powered Pugs which are rapid, but for me unless its an original Turbo Technics car I reckon they lose some of their character if you move away from 4 pot NA. Honestly after having 2 of each type I still prefer the 1.6 for B road blasting.The only mod that tempts me is to move to Jenveys and standalone management on the 1600, but those plans are firmly on hold due to the arrival of it's French cousin :)

As the Pug seems popular here's some more piccies to cheer up a dull Friday morning:

After a major clean:

rear%20corner%20top.jpg

Same day but one of my personal favourites:

Wheel.jpg

Queuing to get on Curborough sprint circuit:

Curborough%20waiting.jpg

Enjoy :)

Reactions: superkarl, Westy and jojo
[Dave B];1970634 said:
Well spotted dude, that's the car that reminds me what a hot hatch should handle like!

Curborough%20Pug.jpg
a proper drivers car, love those little things. Have had a few but never a Miami

Reactions: [Dave B]
No major update, but on Saturday the car past it's MOT without a single advisory, woohooo! I gave it a good wash to celebrate :)

In terms of plans, this year will be the year of brakes....

Loved my 205 1.9gti. great fun, not much would keep up with it on a b road, easy and cheap to modify. wouldn't want to be in one in an accident as it was as robust as a cornflake packet. mine was in the best colour, graphite metallic grey and modded to 170bhp

[Dave B];2055379 said:
No major update, but on Saturday the car past it's MOT without a single advisory, woohooo! I gave it a good wash to celebrate :)

In terms of plans, this year will be the year of brakes....

why do you have 3 cars, lol....thought I was bad!!

Well I'm not going to have 3 cars for much longer :3sadwalk:

With the great news that I am going to become a dad, comes the sad news that I am going to have to thin out the fleet. As a result I've just put the 205 up for sale. There will be tears of both joy and sadness in 2014....

Reactions: voorhees
[Dave B];2080460 said:
Well I'm not going to have 3 cars for much longer :3sadwalk:

With the great news that I am going to become a dad, comes the sad news that I am going to have to thin out the fleet. As a result I've just put the 205 up for sale. There will be tears of both joy and sadness in 2014....

Congratulations and commiserations Dave.

Good news about the kid. Congratulations!

205 must be worth a fair bit. They've gone up in value from what I can gather. Especially a mint one!

Thanks fella's :)

205 must be worth a fair bit. They've gone up in value from what I can gather. Especially a mint one!

Hopefully, I'll never get back what I spent but I don't mind that. I just hope it goes to a good home. Someone will get an awesome summer out of it this year that's for sure!

Just having a read of this thread, don't know how i have missed it. Love the FMIC looks well made and super stealthy being black.
I also have a soft spot for french cars as my previous car was a 306 rallye which was also great fun. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure. Also congratulations! :icon_thumright:

Good news about the kid. Congratulations!

that's also what I heard, I traded my 205 1.9 gti 11 years ago for £450 - then again it had done 151K miles, head gasket had gone. it had been modded and well looked after and if the head gasket was sorted it would probably go on for 10000s more miles. bodywork was good. it did well seeing as "I drove it like stole it" almost every day

I had to sell my 205 as its pointless with a family unless you use it as a spare cars. rear seat belts aren't long enough for child seats anyway and its as robust as a cornflake packet, great fun though

Last edited:
:beerchug:
Congratulation Dave superb news

Welcome to the world of stealth modding (where the missus don't know the price or notices the cars new bits) :)

Reactions: [Dave B], s3dave and Westy
Im also an S3/French car owner.. S2 106 Rallye, 176k miles but pretty much everything has been replaced/modified :) Uploadfromtaptalk1392061175177

Heres one of me in my rallye on track at castle combe a few months before i bought my s3.

Reactions: [Dave B] and cammage08