Data Usage for Google Earth and Traffic

Colh

Reaction score
I signed up for a cheap giffgaff gigabag for use in the car to try out the Google Earth maps and traffic updates. For £5 I got 500mb data, and I also had £15 credit available to use.

Seems that its very data hungry. In less than a month, its used the lot, a total of about 1.34gb.

Going to switch off google earth maps and see how it gets on next month.

FYI I have the same giffgaff SIM in my B8 and it never exceeds the 500Mb quota with Google maps & traffic always enabled. Did you cover a lot of distance to new areas during that month?

I drove to Cornwall during that time. Seems excessive!

I've covered 750 miles in two weeks and used 1.25gb of data. I reckon I use Google Earth around 75% of the time but this still seems like a lot. You'd think the MMI would cache some of the data...

I've covered about 1300 miles in that time. It is a huge amount of data used. I've now disabled google earth so will see how long the next 500mb lasts.

I've covered 750 miles in two weeks and used 1.25gb of data. I reckon I use Google Earth around 75% of the time but this still seems like a lot. You'd think the MMI would cache some of the data...

I think it does, if I stay local it hardly uses any but seems to gobble it up on longer trips.

It's why I asked the question. Yes it does cache data, however the first time you drive where it hasn't been before it will download the new image data that it needs. If you keep going to new places then the data usage will be high.

Doesn't bode well for our planned grand tour of Europe next year - if we're still allowed over there that is!

I could get an EE card, but at the moment, I'm looking to understand usage so that I can get the right card. £15 seems good for 90 days.