Data sim

The last time I was on the continent my ee iPhone never showed up as wifi call in the information bar and instead just stuck with the roaming provider even when connected to a hotspot. I sense it was a deliberate ploy otherwise you can't be charged for using your phone abroad
Would be about right lol, I have a blackberry for work so can use the rsap to get online most of the time, just need an alternative for when I don't have it, as I find the wifi hotspot doesn't always automatically get picked up. This could be because it has 2 phones trying to connect at the same time though.
Might just give it a go on a cheaper one and see what happens.

I just got an additional data sim (shared data) against my phone, cost me 8 quid a month to put it up to 10GB from 2GB. works well on EE.

Just need to get the MMI to connect now! can't or won't let me put in the 10 digit code?

I have 10gb data on my phone and I'm lucky if I use 2gb a month.

So are you saying I can use some of that data in a second sim?

So the google Earth doesn't use much data?

I have 10gb data on my phone and I'm lucky if I use 2gb a month.

So are you saying I can use some of that data in a second sim?

So the google Earth doesn't use much data?
Yep. Just request a shared sim from your phone provider. Be careful to make calls from your phone though. You can request another sim to do calls and data. I have my car phone number saved in my mobile, the mrs phone and the home phone.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I will do that! How do I make sure that the extra sim only uses data though?
don't put any numbers in the memory.
i have my data sim as the primary number and my personal number as the secondary connected via bluetooth.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I used a 12Gb / 12 months SIM from Three at £30, but do we know how much Audi Connect costs yet?

I asked my dealer how much Audi Connect costs... not a clue!

All they said is don't worry the first three months are free! Obviously working on the drug-dealer business model of getting you hooked on the product first before letting you know the cost is exorbitant.

On another note my MMI first stated my Audi Connect was due for renewal in September, yesterday that it was in June 2017, and now today back to September.

Hi Everyone

I am new to Audi-Sport.net but having read all the useful posts before I upgraded my last Audi I had a duty to give back a little.

With that in mind I got my 2016 Audi A4 3.0 TDI quattro S line in May and ordered a Three 12gb 12 month sim. The dealership knew nothing about what to do which is really disappointing, they really should know their own technology.

I have used it in the car since it arrive on the 5th of May and it has worked seamlessly. Half the time it had a better connection than my O2 phone!

I have just managed to find out how much data is left and it is 1.5gb which by my calculations is about 3 to 4gb per month. This has represented an approximate cost of £10 per month.

My usage has been moderate my girls have used the hotspot to stream sound cloud and I have used Google Maps because they are super cool. I have an iPhone but to be honest the sim does a better job than CarPlay. Quite frankly it is much easier to leave phone in pocket and connect via Bluetooth than to faff around plugging it in, especially for short journeys.

Finally knowing that this sim is getting low I logged into Three to look at my options and I have two(ish)

Top up which comes in 4 flavours £2.99 for 500mb - £10 for 1gb - £15 for 3gb and £25 for 7gb. All these data bundles only last 1 month use it or lose it.

Alternatively I can just bin the sim and buy another 12gb 12 month for £30. This clearly represents far better value than any of the top up options.

You won't be surprised I have gone with the bin the sim route and am waiting for my new sim which will just be inserted into the car when the old one finally runs out of data. FYI the car does not care if the sim is just changed.

I really hope this posts helps others like the posts I have been reading over the last year. Thank you all for your wisdom and experience.

Reactions: maui, Rob_F, h1r4 and 2 others
Hi mroute,

Did you do anything special to activate the SIM card before sticking it into the car? Im picking up my new Avant tomorrow and I purchased a three 12gb SIM card following your advice.

Thanks for the tip

Hi mroute,

Did you do anything special to activate the SIM card before sticking it into the car? Im picking up my new Avant tomorrow and I purchased a three 12gb SIM card following your advice.

Thanks for the tip

I picked up my new avant this week and it came with a data sim pre loaded,google maps, traffic etc all work fine. Haven't tried anything else yet though,

Hi mroute,

Thanks for the tip

Hi MFC1984

Nothing special at all, just popped the sim out of its holder and inserted it into the slot in the glove box and it just works, until it runs out of data.

I have been using it now for about 4 months and it is still going though I believe I am now down to my last Gb. I have bought a new one ready and will just drop it into the slot when the old one finally dies. It is now working out to less than £7.50 per month.

Last edited:
Hi MFC1984

Nothing special at all, just popped the sim out of its holder and inserted it into the slot in the glove box and it just works, until it runs out of data.

I have been using it now for about 4 months and it is still going though I believe I am now down to my last Gb. I have bought a new one ready and will just drop it into the slot when the old one finally dies. It is now working out to less than £7.50 per month.

Thanks that's great.

I had visions of me sat in the dealership and it not working because I hadn't activated the sim.

Did you ask the dealership to provide you with a sim Rich?
Hi MFC1984

Thanks that's great,

I had visions of me plugging this sim in at the dealership tomorrow and nothing happening.

Rich did you ask your dealer to provide you with a sim?

I can't wait to collect the car now. It's been sat at the dealership for ten days as I have been away in Rhodes, a nice little perk to combat the holiday blues.

Thanks that's great.

I had visions of me sat in the dealership and it not working because I hadn't activated the sim.

Did you ask the dealership to provide you with a sim Rich?

Thanks that's great,

I had visions of me plugging this sim in at the dealership tomorrow and nothing happening.

Rich did you ask your dealer to provide you with a sim?

I can't wait to collect the car now. It's been sat at the dealership for ten days as I have been away in Rhodes, a nice little perk to combat the holiday blues.

The sim wass tandard, I believe it now is for all model year 17 cars which yours must be if built after mine (8th August). Maybe check with your dealer although mine wasn't sure! I have the tech pack, not sure if this makes a difference.

Yep - like Rich says,

If you are MY17, the car comes with a SIM from Audi and data which covers UK & Europe. It covers MMI functions only. Not Tethering (but can be purchased).

Without tech pack? Data is paid up for 3 months
With tech pack? Data is Included for 3 years

Reactions: Rob_F
The sim wass tandard, I believe it now is for all model year 17 cars which yours must be if built after mine (8th August). Maybe check with your dealer although mine wasn't sure! I have the tech pack, not sure if this makes a difference.
I think it may have something to do with the Tech pack because mine definitely did not come with a SIM, quite frankly the dealership was a bit clueless as to what to do at all.

So just to clarify, despite me reading every thread going, when I pick up my avant s-line on monday with 3 month trial, I can't overlay google earth to the nav without buying a data sim? Or can I use my iPhone which has giffgaff unlimited data?

So just to clarify, despite me reading every thread going, when I pick up my avant s-line on monday with 3 month trial, I can't overlay google earth to the nav without buying a data sim? Or can I use my iPhone which has giffgaff unlimited data?
Ignore this post, just read 2 posts up and got my answer! I just need to extend my subscription which also covers data. Will go through the hassle of a 12 month extension!

Well I am picking up my car tomorrow, I do have the tech pack and virtual cockpit so I will see if I get a SIM card. I will have a good chat with the dealer and to try shed some light.

I think the 3 month trial is a sim which at the end of the trial you will have to start paying for. However I think I am also right in saying that there is nothing stopping you taking that sim out and putting your own in when the trial finishes.

If all this is correct Google Earth should work as soon as your start the 3 month trial and will continue to work with any active sim.

I picked up my car yesterday. No tech pack. Just standard s-line. There's an embedded sim card and everything just works. Google maps also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up my car yesterday. No tech pack. Just standard s-line. There's an embedded sim card and everything just works. Google maps also.

If it is embedded does that mean you can't change it when the trial runs out? If so how much are they quoting post trial?

If it is embedded does that mean you can't change it when the trial runs out? If so how much are they quoting post trial?

Nope - you can add your own SIM card once the embedded data plan runs out. But if you do add your own SIM, it will put ALL data from the car through it. I.e. if you have the 3 year embedded SIM (Tech Pack) then add your own SIM for Wi-Fi hotspot, it will put all the car's data through the SIM you added.

Reactions: BeagleKCH
Hi guys ,

Just want to know if any of you have got a data sim plan. I've been looking at the three ones which is 30quid for 12gb? , just want to know what you guys would recommend.

Thanks
Hi bud

That's exactly what I'm using! Seemed the cheapest deal by a country mile!

Well I have the tech pack and virtual cockpit on mine, no need for the SIM card I purchased as everything works apart from wifi hot spot.

I can't seem to be able to get Google street view to work on either the main screen or the VC. The embedded sim only seems to be active for a year looking at the dates in the menu, I thought with tech pack I was purchasing three years subscription so i shall check.

Loving the car so far

You need a data sim to enable google street view. Google street view doesn't work on the VC just the main screen......(on the A4 that is). The only car it works with on the VC is the new TT

You need a data sim to enable google street view. Google street view doesn't work on the VC just the main screen......(on the A4 that is). The only car it works with on the VC is the new TT

I can't believe the e-sim doesn't allow street view but let's you do Google Earth. I will test with my EE SIM card and see if the street view works then.

I can't believe the e-sim doesn't allow street view but let's you do Google Earth. I will test with my EE SIM card and see if the street view works then.

Bizarre. Are you using the crosshairs to locate a street then the scroll toggle to zoom in until it switches to streetview?