Data only SIM usage

AtotheK

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm looking into data only SIM for the C7 and I was wondering what kind of data usage the car uses for maps, hotspot etc?
There are so many options from 1GB to 20GB and everything in between... I don't know where to start...
Maybe a discussion here might shed some light as to the usage you're all getting.
Many thanks in advance,
A

HI there @AtotheK good question... it's a bit, "how long's a piece of string"-y though :) Depends on how often you fiddle with Google Earth view and how far you drive. I'm doing about 900 miles a month and think I use just under a Gig of data - though I should probably recheck this. The 900 miles are pretty much the same route for when I have to go into HQ (normally based at home), so I'd hope that the Google Earth Maps are cached to a reasonable level. If you're doing a few thousand miles a month and travelling to lots of different places AND have Google Earth Maps on all the time, then you will likely need more than a Gig of data. I would get a pre-pay SIM and see if 1 gig covers it... the first month will always be the heaviest when we're fiddling with our new toy! ;-) Also there was a thread a while back that touched on this... http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-a6-mmi-connect-issues.244393/#post-2476734

The other data services like petrol prices would hardly use any data, but music streaming would eat in once again...

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Pete.
Yes that's the reason for asking the question. I'm trying to ascertain the relative levels of usage that people are experiencing. The guy in 3 suggested 20GB per month but I find that hard to believe! Pre pay might be the best option in the beginning to get an idea myself?

Another quick point here too... I won't be streaming music through the data only sim in the dash, I'll use Apple Music straight from my phone I think. Unless streaming through the in-built sim integrates nicely using the MMI controls?
Any feedback on this???

Another point on this...
I was going to stream music straight from Apple Music on my phone, but if I stream it from the in-built sim does it integrate nicely using the MMI controls? That would be desirable.
Any feedback on this?

Another point on this.
I was going to stream music straight from Apple Music on my phone, but if I stream it from the in built sim does it integrate nicely using the MMI controls? That would be desirable.
Any feedback on this?

That there is where you may run into trouble

The in-dash sim is for your data and your phone will handle calls only.......although if you connect it to your vehicles wi-fi that should allow you to stream?? The phone uses the car as a wi-fi hotspot

I haven't explored it as I don't stream music lol

Sorry for the crazy posting! Tapatalk is acting the maggot and I was getting loads of errors so kept trying.
Now I've just seen all the updates!
So sorry for bombarding!

I use it to stream music and it works fine. My phone is connected to the wifi and I stream from Napster. The kids use it for music and films/ YouTube on long journeys. I have just bought 6gb data sims which last 3 months and change them over. This normally lasts me fir the 3 months unless I have been doing a lot of mikes as a family but if the data runs out, the kids can use their own data or tether to mine.

Ah nice @Scottk. That sounds promisingly like the way to go. Sounds good too that: 2GB of usage per month with music and movies

Ah nice @Scottk. That sounds promisingly like the way to go. Sounds good too that: 2GB of usage per month with music and movie

I use it to stream music and it works fine. My phone is connected to the wifi and I stream from Napster. The kids use it for music and films/ YouTube on long journeys. I have just bought 6gb data sims which last 3 months and change them over. This normally lasts me fir the 3 months unless I have been doing a lot of mikes as a family but if the data runs out, the kids can use their own data or tether to mine.

Which network is that with Scottk?? And how much are the sims if you don't mind me asking :)

I loved your earlier quote @AtotheK , "The guy in 3 recommended 20 gig" ha ha! Think he saw you coming fella! ;-) 2Gig as mentioned above sounds about right for some streaming too. As I've said on other threads, streaming from a service like Spotify sounds _really_ good in the car... better than most crummy 128bps MP3s... I went through my whole music collection and re-recorded in FLAC and WMV lossless... but still stream occasionally.

Yeah. Sounded crazy to me too!

Reactions: PeteBSK
It's EE like Rhyso spotted. Either eBay or Amazon. Haven't paid more than £15 delivered yet. Pretty good value.

Reactions: Rhyso
Does that type of preloaded card work abroad or do you have to opt for 3 (which offer free data roaming)

Ordered a 3 '321' sim card

1p per MB and your credit doesn't run out is going to be perfect for me as it will literally be used for traffic updates and sending detinations from my Google account to the car :)

If you ever get through 20gig of data per month then clearly you have Video In Motion diasbaled and are paying more attention to the MMI than the road lol

I don't connect to the car's hotspot as my mobile has uncapped, unthrottled, unlimited data and use under 200MB per month mostly on the same (cached?) 5 hour route with maps, traffic and a few fuel price queries etc

Freedom Pop's free 200MB SIM is just perfect, but I confess to a bit of data anxiety. Can also be used for calls via their app, so not from the car but the data works a treat.

As all family members have one of these SIMs there's also the possibility to "balance" usage if necessary by swapping SIM.

I can't take any credit for this, but someone "elsewhere" ;) has found that 3's 12GB 12 month prepaid SIM is now down to £30. Since it's specifically a data SIM (but can do SMS too) there's no issue with device incompatibility that scuppers some of their conventional voice+data SIMs and makes them a bit of a gamble.

Reactions: Rhyso
I can't take any credit for this, but someone "elsewhere" ;) has found that 3's 12GB 12 month prepaid SIM is now down to £30. Since it's specifically a data SIM (but can do SMS too) there's no issue with device incompatibility that scuppers some of their conventional voice+data SIMs and makes them a bit of a gamble.

Lol i saw the same thread on another forum :)

Slightly off topic so apologies but do you need a data sim in the car to gain functionality over the MMI connect app?