Dashcam Hardwiring

Fraysa

Reaction score
Hey fellow Audi A7 people!

I own an A3 but I was trying to help my friend install a dashcam by hardwiring it to the car. The dashcam is ddpai mini2 and he also bought ddpai’s hardwire kit which is a long micro USB cable with a ACC wire and a GROUND wire along with a capacitor to stop the camera once the battery is about to die.

I removed the left panel and inspected the fuse box using a multimeter while the car was off. I found out fuses 11+12 on the middle box (B) were giving me voltage when the car was off.

I connected the positive wire to the fuse and used the grounding screw in point next to the fuse box but the camera wouldn’t turn on. I tried different fuses but same result.

What could be the issue? Grounding point is working 100% because I used it for the multimeter and the fuse gave me signal even after connecting the positive wire to it.

Any idea what I could be missing?

Thanks.

I would suggest wiring the camera up directly across the battery to test the camera operation. What you may be doing is connecting to a circuit that is live for a length of time after the car is switched off, then after a minute or two that system goes to sleep and power is cut. What system does the fuse you are using serve? Switch the ignition on then back off again and see if you have power to the fuse you are using (which I'm assuming you will have seeing as you are using that one), then wait half an hour and check again, if there is no power, that's the issue

I would suggest wiring the camera up directly across the battery to test the camera operation. What you may be doing is connecting to a circuit that is live for a length of time after the car is switched off, then after a minute or two that system goes to sleep and power is cut. What system does the fuse you are using serve?

I used pins 11 and 12 of the B panel, which are the left rear door and the rain and light sensor. They both worked using my tester screwdriver (it lighted up) even when the car was off.

I'd do as above - power the camera up directly to check it works. Not sure if you're using a light-up tester or multimeter - I'd only trust a digital multimeter personally. There's the supplied cable too - a couple of paperclips or pins may be small enough to use as prongs (careful!) to check the usb lead is providing power ok.