Dashcam cable routing

I spoke to http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/ about 0806 but they say they are unstable and wont be selling again until the bugs are sorted, so I bought 8 of the 0805 model. First impressions are very good. Compact, solid feel, good image quality. I turned off the G Force sensor as it ends up filling the card with captured rubbish.
I also bought a load of genuine 32gb capacity micro SD cards from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161687737361?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT you need to be careful as lots of ebay seller are flogging factory regects labelled as 32gb but actual useable space is as little as 4gb.
I then bought a load of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-7...846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e90ac21de to hard wire them in easily.

Reactions: scotty76
@Keef :D . I parked there as that's the better end of the car park. I was actually off to B&Q opposite but the car park there is a nightmare, I've seen more car park related incidents there than any other local car park. (wow overuse of the word car park).

I found it hard to visualise how people were routing the cables. To help others who might be struggling here's a few photos. Mine goes: up into the headlining, across to the rubber door seal, down the inside edge of the rubber door seal, out again at the join, along the edge of the passenger seat, under the back passenger side floot mat and plugs into the rear 12v socket.

2015 05 10 182311
2015 05 10 182337
2015 05 10 182455
2015 05 10 182602
2015 05 10 182616
2015 05 10 182620
2015 05 10 182624
2015 05 10 182646
2015 05 10 182659
2015 05 10 182707

And from the driver's side it looks like this.

2015 05 10 182818

And I tried to get a photo from the outside but the phone camera just refused to focus!

2015 05 10 181817

Would look neater (and possibly safer) if you ran it under the airbag and trim.

@Zafi I am your standard village idiot. Thus I have a fear of any panels with the word airbag on them. I'm not sure what I have done that is unsafe but if you explain I'll happily fix it to avoid a Darwin award. Many thanks.

Reactions: jdp1962
This is my Blackvue, fitted in the B7. The cable runs along behind the front end of the headlining, down the screen pillar behind the trim, behind the end of the dash to a concealed 12V socket box, wired to the fuse box on an ignition live.

P1000373_zpsda044cb1.jpg

When I move it over to the S4, I'll be asking NHN to feed it to a permanent live, using a Power Magic Pro, so I can make use of the motion detector function.

@Zafi I am your standard village idiot. Thus I have a fear of any panels with the word airbag on them. I'm not sure what I have done that is unsafe but if you explain I'll happily fix it to avoid a Darwin award. Many thanks.

Instead of crossing in front of the airbag, making the wire get in the way of the airbag deployment, route it underneath the bag. Just pull the trim up a bit and use some stiff wire (like a straightened coat hanger) to gently find a path from door seal to interior light.

You are not alone, I had a roof beacon installed on my Shogun by a full time "professional" auto electrician. First time I fully opened the sunroof the cable feeding the light got snagged by the roof and it appeared diagonally across the drivers door aperture!

Nearly needed it already, look where the white line is. Don't mind me. He was too busy reading his delivery notes.

Van

And finally managed to get a snap of how it looks from the outside.

2015 05 12 200415

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Just curious as to why more people haven't hard wired them to the auto dimming mirrors, all the cable would be hidden away nicely this way?

Just curious as to why more people haven't hard wired them to the auto dimming mirrors, all the cable would be hidden away nicely this way?
That's way beyond my abilities. Also, I wouldn't want to hard wire anything until the car's out of warranty. I can do without giving Audi excuses. :) Paranoid? Me?! :)

I'll be getting mine tomorrow and was going to just hard-wire it using a scotch lock, essentially hijacking the 12 volt feed to the auto dimming mirror.

I'll be getting mine tomorrow and was going to just hard-wire it using a scotch lock, essentially hijacking the 12 volt feed to the auto dimming mirror.

Let us know how you get on. I started this thread to get ideas on this topic so would appreciate hearing how you get on, if not for me than for other more competent forum members.

Im thinking to get GoPro Hero4 and use it as dashcam. Would u guys recomend it, or better to get something else.

Probably OK, but bear in mind you are adding potentially another 3amps to the dimming mirror circuit.Not knowing what the circuit/wiring is rated at I would always favour a dedicated supply from the fuse box. Also, the switch mode power supplies with a lot of these cameras, to drop 12V to 5V are notoriously noisy. You could find your DAB and/or FM reception suffers big time if you splice it in to an existing circuit of the car. I have hard wired to a dedicated supply in the fuse box, but have still put ferrite chokes on both ends of the power line to keep it as quiet as possible and minimise the crap the camera power supply is spewing into the car electronics. I am not saying it is true of all dash cams, but remember that The CE marking in a lot of cases actually stands for 'China Export' ;)

Im thinking to get GoPro Hero4 and use it as dashcam. Would u guys recomend it, or better to get something else.
Bit of a waste really just for a dashcam and as @andyam says more likely to get nicked. Quality on mine is fine if that's what's worrying you.

Bit of a waste really just for a dashcam and as @andyam says more likely to get nicked. Quality on mine is fine if that's what's worrying you.
I thinking to use it for other videos to make. And I wont leave it in the car.

Looking at getting one of these. Like the look of the 0806 but am put off by the reports of quality issues. Does anyone know if these have been resolved? Also are there any alternatives to the Power Magic Pro which seems a tad expensive for what it is?

Looking at getting one of these. Like the look of the 0806 but am put off by the reports of quality issues. Does anyone know if these have been resolved? Also are there any alternatives to the Power Magic Pro which seems a tad expensive for what it is?
@ADi Nuff Valves - I'm going down the Mini 0805 as opposed to the 0806 route just to be on the safe side> Altho' I understand the 0806 probs have now been sorted

Best price I've found so far for a 0805 -
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_113549.html

Can a GoPro do loop recording where is keeps overwriting the oldest file? If not, you can guarantee the card will be full in no time and you will not be recording anything

I've just wired mine up...goes to the left of the mirror...up the headlining down the pillar all the way down to the floor comes out under the Matt, under the chair up the side of the passenger chair into the arm rest socket nice and concealed

I've just wired mine up...goes to the left of the mirror...up the headlining down the pillar all the way down to the floor comes out under the Matt, under the chair up the side of the passenger chair into the arm rest socket nice and concealed
Did you route it behind the pillar? If so how hard was that?

Hi I got a dash cam just before xmas got the wires and all concealed and up and going but am having problems if I dont remember to disconnect it it runs my battery down has done it twice now and had to get jump starts , any help would be great , fitted to A6 c6 3.0 tdi le mans 07
762e1251e7f685e9005bf0514cef3873.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi I got a dash cam just before xmas got the wires and all concealed and up and going but am having problems if I dont remember to disconnect it it runs my battery down has done it twice now and had to get jump starts , any help would be great , fitted to A6 c6 3.0 tdi le mans 07
762e1251e7f685e9005bf0514cef3873.jpg

And its plugging into my front 12v power out let.

Hi :subdued:,

What sort of dash cam is it ??

It would be best if you can get a hard wire kit for it, and run it off switched live fuse.

Cheers , this is the one I got , picture below.
3161ed3493668f44c8345a1069f5d3e8.jpg

As mentioned, I would buy a hard wire kit for it and put it on a fuse that is only live when the ignition is on. That way you won't flatten the battery.

Thanks for that just found hard wiring kit for it so I'll do it that way cheers for the information.