Dashboard creaking

nothingness

Reaction score
Got a problem with my car, pretty much any road the dashboard creaks all the time.

If I push it in hard, above the glovebox on the passenger side, it stops, and gradually comes back (like after 10 seconds).

It is driving me mad, has anyone else had this and know how to fix it? Thanks!

Yep mine squeaks and rattles from time to time too, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I've never had a car that hasn't.

You could try taking the whole dash apart to fit some foam/sponge but you will get other rattles and/or squeaks so what's the point?

There has never been and nor will there ever be a car that literally NEVER rattles or vibrates or squeaks at some point.

Anything that negotiates our twisty bumpy roads and has thousands of parts screwed in, tacked on, bolted down, and clipped in will at some point rattle or vibrate, it's simple physics.

There'll be those who disagree, but it is a fact. I challenge all you doubters to go for a drive, stereo off, and tell me that your car is literally silent.

Until someone can make a working car out of one piece of metal I'm afraid those niggly noises will always exist.

Ignore and enjoy.

Last edited:
I have driven a Rolls Royce Wraith, and that was literally silent. You could hear your own breathe, no rattles or anything.

Maybe when you drove it there was no rattles etc, my wife's brand new A1 doesn't squeak or rattle yet either but it will.

At some point every car will develop niggly noises, that's a fact.

Mines got a similar vibrating rattle under the dash by the windscreen, gonna pull the glovebox out and see if I can find the culprit

Reactions: nothingness
Th only way to sort the issue is to remove and refit the dash. Every fixing will have the potential to loosen slightly under the constant vibration when the car is moving. Could even be down to the items fixing point compressing over time due to having that constant clamping force on it.

And as for the RR not squeaking and rattling it's not a fair comparison. You're talking about a £200k plus hand built car vs a £20k shoe box :whistle2:

You can get a silicon based spray which you can spray around the area the noise is coming from and hope that it stops. If it doesn't take the dash apart.

Reactions: nothingness