Dash light question ?

fallmonk

Turbo Sport
Reaction score
Website
www.filshill.co.uk
Hi folks ,
Quick question am I right in saying my dash lights should come on as soon as the ignition is on /engine started ?
Am sure my B5 did this and other VAG cars I have driven do this, it can be actully quiet dark to see my speed on the dash. Off course I can turn my lights on physically and problem solved !

Yeah, my instrument cluster illuminates even when the headlights are off.

They can be altered via vag-com to be on or off, just needles lit or needles and clocks together. Maybe someone in the past has had it altered.

B6 S4 default settings are Lights off = Dashboard Needles illuminated, Lights on = Needles and dials illuminated.

The dimming button used at night also brightens and dims the daytime needle illumination.

Not sure if its just a cabriolet thing but mine has the clock illuminated in bright light but as soon as it starts to get abit dull and gloomy and if I go through a tunnel they turn off. Theres a little sensor under my clocks. Its obviously there to make you turn your lights on but I find it ****** annoying as it turns them off when its still light. Stupid feature and its not possible to disable in VCDS as far as I can find

There are four lighting modes, which can be changed in adaptation channel 19 of the instrument control module, according to the VCDS website:

Mode 0: Nothing lit until ext. light on
Mode 1: Pointers lit all the time
Mode 2: Scales lit all the time
Mode 3: Pointers and Scales lit all the time

I have tried changing this from mode 1 to mode 3 and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Mode 2 does work though, curiously. So it's possible your car is coded correctly and something else is going on... I'm curious to know why it doesn't seem to work for me anyway...

I coded mine so that the instruments are only lit when I flick the lights on. Every car I have had previously was like this so it seems normal for me!