Dash isn't coming on at all, and engine start blocked.

Does anything electrical work?

Have you checked the main fuse feeding from the battery?

As far electrics working is the lighting all lights work including headlights, stereo works though needs coding in cause of disconnecting the battery, horn works but I did notice the Engine Control Module Unit had an error no communication/no signal does that mean it has no power?

I have checked all the fuses in the engine bay and cabin fuse box but found no bad fuses.

Update:

Just went out to the car not long ago to see which things aren't working and is working, to find my wipers have suddenly come back alive but no power at the window switches, nor instrument cluster and the lock/unlock switch on drivers door (although you can unlock it on that switch but not lock).

As before today the wipers didn't work at all they were dead as the cluster is...

Does anyone know what this might be? May be a bad earth somewhere?

Thanks

Update:

I believe I have found the problem or least part of the problem, relay 460 I noticed there's two 460's so what I did switch the relays round and half of the errors that were there are gone including "Engine Control Module - No communication/No Signal", so I need another relay to replace the one not working.

Only error now is the instrument cluster no communication/no signal, so hopefully once I put two new 460's in this should rectify the issue if not then I assume the cluster is faulty.

Just thought I'd post this and hope this will help someone in the near future or something! :)

Reactions: Mujnu
Update:

I believe I have found the problem or least part of the problem, relay 460 I noticed there's two 460's so what I did switch the relays round and half of the errors that were there are gone including "Engine Control Module - No communication/No Signal", so I need another relay to replace the one not working.

Only error now is the instrument cluster no communication/no signal, so hopefully once I put two new 460's in this should rectify the issue if not then I assume the cluster is faulty.

Just thought I'd post this and hope this will help someone in the near future or something! :)

Slowly but surely

All solved car is up and running again, the relays didn't do anything but left it for a few days after messing with them and its all come back alive again. Test drove it and drives like nothing happened.

Will be taking it out later for a good blast! :D

Thanks to the people who did their best to help me on this matter.

Reactions: Mujnu
All solved car is up and running again, the relays didn't do anything but left it for a few days after messing with them and its all come back alive again. Test drove it and drives like nothing happened.

Did it happen to rain really hard the day before the car stopped working? I just had the same thing happen to me and I'm going crazy trying to get it working

Did it happen to rain really hard the day before the car stopped working? I just had the same thing happen to me and I'm going crazy trying to get it working.

So....mine is fine the EXACT same thing! I practically got stiff reading the thread thinking you had the solution and then what? It magically fixed itself sitting there? OMG! LOL. Do I need to do like a certain dance or ritual too?

Did it happen to rain really hard the day before the car stopped working? I just had the same thing happen to me and I'm going crazy trying to get it working.

So Tyler.... Considering the OP thread is so dated and yours more decent.... Did you figure yours out? Mine doing the exact same as Benny's. Before that I was having sporadic slow violent crank/start episodes....maybe related....maybe not.

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread, rather than starting my own and cluttering the forum. Having the same problem but havent found a fix! it's doing my swede in :p (it's a 2006 A3 tdi 8P)

Started with flickering dash, then no dash lights at all. Car wont start (it turns for a second and dies) all other electrics work - apart from electric windows, but I'm guessing thats because of the immobiliser.

Sent dash clocks off to Cartronix who said they 'fixed' them with new processor and they were returned but soon as I plugged them in, nothing. I sent them back as D.O.A and spoke to the guy on the phone who had them on his bench and told me they were lighting up fine, held phone to the cluster and I could hear the beep. So had them sent back, but still D.O.A..

So far I have tried:-

1. Checking fuses on drivers panel and under the bonnet. All ok.
2. Removed instrument cluster, disconnected and reconnected.
3. Disconnected battery, connected the terminals up to rid static(?)
4. Looked for bad earths - under battery tray and around engine fuse box
5. Swapped relays around in the comfort control module in the drivers footwell - no difference
6. Tried both keys - both batteries changed to new button ones
7. Fully charged battery - no difference, swapped battery with known good battery, no difference

I've got VCDS Lite and scanned it, which throws up this code:

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,22,35,37,45,55,56,57,75,76
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 03G 906 021 LG
Component: R4 2,0L EDC 000AG 9558
Coding: 0000078
Shop #: WSC 06314
VCID: 6F9150BF3E85
3 Faults Found:
005712 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Instrument Cluster
P1650 - 000 - -
005660 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P161C - 000 - Please Register/Activate
053273 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
U1019 - 000 - Please Register/Activate
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 02E-300-0xx.LBL
Controller: 02E 300 042 S
Component: GSG DSG 070 1102
Coding: 0000020
Shop #: WSC 06314
VCID: 23396C8FA2CD
1 Fault Found:
18270 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Instrument Cluster
P1862 - 000 - -

Help!

This may be minor , but why is the scan coming up as 8L chassis?
Your car is definitely an 8P.
Does VCDS Lite even work on the the 8P chassis?
I just Google’d VCDS Lite and it says it’s for non-Canbus cars?
The 8P is definitely Canbus.
Can you get a scan done with a full version VCDS cable?

Edit: Just found a reference on another Audi forum which says generic / clone cables and VCDS Lite don’t work on Canbus vehicles. Before you go chasing your tail perhaps looking for faults that aren’t there I’d really recommend getting it scanned with the full version of VCDS....

Last edited:
This may be minor , but why is the scan coming up as 8L chassis?
Your car is definitely an 8P.
Does VCDS Lite even work on the the 8P chassis?
I just Google’d VCDS Lite and it says it’s for non-Canbus cars?
The 8P is definitely Canbus.
Can you get a scan done with a full version VCDS cable

Yeah I noticed the 8L too.. just thought it was a bug. The cable I'm using is a VAG com KKL 409.1 cable (blue ebay ones) and it connects ok with the software port test and wotnot. Functions are limited, just gives me what you saw above. I've messaged a guy in Pembrokeshire through the VCDS map, see if I can get it scanned fully..

Im having exactly the same problems! My car was working fine ..... I didnt use it for 2 days, went out to start it and nothing ‍♂️ so frustrating, any other fixes ?.

Reactions: Audisportconvertible
Snap same issues too but only just got it. Washed it and cleaned it out and now dash dead windows won’t work off buttons and won’t start, it’s a can too and hood won’t work probably due to the windows not working off the door controls. They do work off the key manually in the door

Mine was one or two things, water getting in through sunroof drains and soaking the boot area or fuel cap door not closed properly ‍♂️ good luck with it

Reactions: Audisportconvertible
Mine was one or two things, water getting in through sunroof drains and soaking the boot area or fuel cap door not closed properly ‍♂️ good luck with it

might be similar, no leaks but it was really dirty inside like years of no cleaning and I had to scrub it and the following morning it was dead. Started today and the windows and roof work. All the dash lights on though and it runs lumpy and smell like an old London bus. Progress though. Some dash lights stay on with key out, glow plug wheel and etc

Had this problem tried everything suggested above nothing fixed the problem throwing no codes up started to lose all hope after key fob stop working due to disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes in the hope it would reset. Checked every single fuse throughout the car nothing So I disconnected the battery overnight because the alarm was going off and lights flashing wash draining the battery and the next day I read on a forum that someone get over this problem by turning the ignition on with the key before connecting the battery and did this and soon as I connected the terminal I heard the central locking work which was a positive sound then I heard my dashboard bleep doing the check then I went n looked on the dash and their it was lit up like a Christmas tree. Don’t know if it was ignition on before I connected or left it overnight to reset but either way much to my delight it worked. Problem solved. I really hope this helps somebody else with this problem and they don’t waste money and time having it diagnosed and put into the garage with no hope of finding the solution looking for a problem that isn’t there. I still had a fob that didn’t open the doors on the button but was relieved that the car was working but then I remembered on a car I previously owned I overcame this by putting key in ignition turning it on but not starting (showing my now fully working dashboard lights). Lol locked it on the driver door then pressed unlock n lock on the fob a few times. Didn’t do it first time kept trying it then got out coz I wasn’t to concerned about it and hit the button as I had hold of my keys by mistake and it locked and boom. All good.

Reactions: S3mertyn
Hi,

Today I tried to start my car to no luck, although it tries to start but for a measly 2 seconds then cuts out as if there isn't enough juice for it. I hooked it up on a friends vagcom to be greeted with "Engine start blocked by immobilizer".

Correctly so, I checked for other errors to find "Incorrect key" or something a long those lines...So I tried my spare key and that didn't work either threw same error. The only things work is lights, stereo (now thats in some sort of safe mode since disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after 20 mins or so) but that isn't a big deal at the moment, I've tried to do my windows down and that didn't respond and putting the hazards on button blinks but no noise from it?

A friend of mine puts his money on it being a dead battery, though, looking through some other threads that isn't related to my car points at being bad earths, a bad cluster and such and I really don't fancy just guessing and throwing money at it when it could be a simple fix.

I must add that, there has not been any modifications done to the car recently but it did have it's exhaust clamp replaced but highly doubt that has any bearing on this issue. :p

Hopefully someone can point in me the right direction, or least give me some hints at what could be the most likely cause.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys, i know this thread has been cold for a while but thought this might help someone out.... I have an A3 1.9 tdie 09 58 reg, I have owned it from new and it has only ever been parked in the same place on my drive all its life... that is until i had my driveway redone last 2 weeks, car was parked along the road under a tree and was completely covered in leaves as it is autumn... i started it and put it back on my drive and next morning it was dead with same issue as in this thread (no clocks, no dash warning lights and immob cutting in and engine start for one second only) knowing the car as i do, i cleaned the leaves from the front of the car, unblocked the scuttle drains and left it to dry out....
After two days the car would start and run but some dash warning lights staying on and no speedo, tach etc... After a drive round the block (to warm it up and speed up the drying process) and 3 further days of sitting the car is completely normal !!!
Moral of the story is, do not jump to conclusions... a little damp can do a lot of damage...

Hope this helps out, Cheers Steve P.
Vehicle tech for 30yrs and still don't believe in consequences :)

Reactions: Ridwan
Holy thread revival. A massive thanks to Benny for pointing me in the right direction - exactly the same symptoms when wet (all the time at the moment) traced to a broken wire under the battery tray - the edge of it had chafed through the insulation and the whole wire had turned to green corroded mushy copper. Let in a new section, trimmed the edge of the tray and all working except for a couple of lights that need clearing. Result!

Reactions: ahtcap