DASH Cams

Reaction score
Guys,

How many of you have dash cams, I am just about to order someone but I am having doubts about the actual usefulness of the cams?

I know it's good if you have an accident etc but e.g I haven't had an accident in 7 years.

So is it really worth spending the money on dash cams?....

It's one of those things that you hope you never need, but if you do you'll be glad you had it!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and DrEskimo
Strangely someone recently insurance inquired and they wanted to add £20 to the policy .

Forget 1080P , 1296P , 1440P is now !

I've got one fitted hopefully will never need it, but easy to install and forget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

planning on getting one fitted eventually when I get it, mainly for car parks etc....I park miles away but you never know

I've got one, there's been a number of topics ranging from various types of dashcams people have put on their 8v.

This is my 2nd car since I passed my test 11 years ago and I didn't want my pride and joy to be smashed up and insurance not paying out if i didnt have an accident.

I've have one. Had one in previous 2 cars as well. Never needed to use any footage from it but as said it's there if required. Mines is only a cheap HD one but I've checked the footage and it's clear enough for purpose. Think it was only £30 plus SD card.

I have a BlackVue DR650 - front and rear cameras. Been driving 30 years and never had an accident (touches wood quickly lol)

Think of them as an additional pair of eves, and a silent witness inside the car. Plenty of insurance scammers out there who will target a nice car, or a driver who hits you, but denies all liability.

That one time you need it, it will pay for itself.

:racer:

Reactions: TDI-line
I like the idea of getting one, but don't like the idea of installing it. Why (apart from the new Citron C3) this has yet to become a factory option I fail to understand.

Reactions: vamos
I like the idea of getting one, but don't like the idea of installing it. Why (apart from the new Citron C3) this has yet to become a factory option I fail to understand.

Exactly - I'm sorry but dashcams look horrid bolt ons. My s3 has a rear camera - why the hell cannot it be used to log?)
Just lazy from manufacturers

Guys,

How many of you have dash cams, I am just about to order someone but I am having doubts about the actual usefulness of the cams?

I know it's good if you have an accident etc but e.g I haven't had an accident in 7 years.

So is it really worth spending the money on dash cams?....
Cam front and rear here.

It's like GAP insurance, I've never had to use it, but it only has to be used once and it's paid for itself!

Plus the rear makes you realise how quick the car is lol! I looked back at some footage a while back and saw this...I wasn't even trying either :D

Reactions: RAF_S7, Scottyg and DrEskimo
Thanks all, I guess I will go for one but I don't think I will invest too much into it. Initially I was thinking thinkware 770 but that's a lot of money for dual channel cameras!! Probably just go for lower budget ones.

Thanks all, I guess I will go for one but I don't think I will invest too much into it. Initially I was thinking thinkware 770 but that's a lot of money for dual channel cameras!! Probably just go for lower budget ones.

Just make sure the image quality is OK, especially at night. You can get cameras a lot cheaper than the F770 but if it doesn't show number plates up or clearly show what has happened, you might as well have thrown the money away.

Reactions: TDI-line
Last edited:
Reactions: MattSedg
Guys, anyone got the thinkware 770 dash cam in there A3/S3? Can you please share some pictures of how it's mounted at the front?

I want to see if it's too intrusive!

Guys, anyone got the thinkware 770 dash cam in there A3/S3? Can you please share some pictures of how it's mounted at the front?

I want to see if it's too intrusive!
Not an answer for you (no pics), but I spent some solid time choosing between Thinkware 770 and Blackvue DR650S-2CH.

How they look mounted was one of the reasons I went with the Blackvue in the end... was definitely more discreet in my opinion.
I saw pics during research, but of course didn't save anything. Either way, neither looks out of place / ugly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've a Roadhawk HD in my current car. Will definitely be swapping it over as it's hard wired too.