Dash Cam Wire Routing

Chris90

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi

Got a dash cam for xmas and just got round to getting the hardwire kit so I can wire it into the fusebox instead of the 12V socket under the arm rest.

Whats the best/easiest method to run the wire? I was going to hide it up behind the mirror (the camera) and run the wire under front lip of headling and down the passenger A pillar and into the fusebox.

How easy does the trim remove on the A-pillar? Any certain method to doing it at all?

Is there any reason why I cant just tap into any of the fuse locations? I know will be permanent live, but will have to see how the camera suggests wiring up.

Is there any switched live fuses in that area?

Thanks

Chris

I tapped into a 5amp switched live. Only annoying thing is camera switches off when stop start, starts again.

Do you know which fuse it was?

Odd the stop start kills the switched lives to the car though.

I would also like to know how you hardwire a dashcam on our cars, I don't even know where the fuse is or what I would do when I did eventually find it.

I don't have stop/start so it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Do you know which fuse it was?

Odd the stop start kills the switched lives to the car though.
It's on until the car starts then goes off then on again.

Fuse box located on passenger side when you open door.

It's on until the car starts then goes off then on again.

Fuse box located on passenger side when you open door.
From memory it was a 5amp on the right hand side of the fuse box.

I guess all the fuses in the passenger side are switched live then. However no, the diagnostics port is down there and thats perm live.

Looks like will have to get multimeter out and see whats switched, otherwise looks like cam will always be on.

Give me 10 mins I'll get a picture of how I wired mine in. I have a permanent live and a switched to allow for parking mode.

The a piller is easy to get off. There is 1 screw under the airbag sign. Remove that then gently pull the trim out then upwards.

I run the wiring down the drivers side.

20170114 174013
20170114 173901

The red wire is scotch locked to the wire on the fused side of the 5A fuse in F12 in the red holder which feeds the convenience module. The yellow wire has a spade connector on and pushed into a spare feed. The earth is connected to the dash mounting in the top right of the picture.

The only mod to trim is a small notch cut out of the rain sensor house which is for the power lead and rear camera. I tucked the cables in the front of the headlining so I didn't have to remove the sun visors.

Make sure you don't run the cable over the airbag. I has to be under it or it will cause serious issues if you get hit and the airbag goes off

Was going to run down the passenger side, but I guess the drivers side is just the same option.

Either side will work I just found the driver side more accessible to get behind the fuse box. Passenger side is a bit tight with the glove box In the way.

Just seen this been busy all day.

Mine is wired into an ignition live on the drivers side fuse board. Tapped into a spare fuse slot.

Can take picture if needed

Kept mine original fitment, left the cigarette lighter end on the camera power lead and plugged this into a female cigarette lighter socket, wired this socket to fuse board. Earthed on body fastening.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Got a piggy back fuse so can plug in and put original fuse in that. So basically just a switched live I need.

Reactions: feva
Got a piggy back fuse so can plug in and put original fuse in that. So basically just a switched live I need.
I had a piggyback fuse holder from when it was fitted into my bmw. But just plugged into a spare fuse socket Chris. I'll grab a pic first thing tomorrow to show which one I used. It's been fine.

Reactions: Chris90
Fuse 12 which i wired the red wire to is a switched live so you will be able to use the piggy back fuse for it.

Reactions: Chris90
I'd recommend using a spur (the piggyback fuse holder) or if you have routed down the driver side then check pin 1 on the OBD port as that should be switched live but not sure if it is live while cranking for the stop/start.

If you do struggle then iirc the 12v cigarette sockets are also switched live so could tap off that too?

Lastly, I know that there are switched live feeds in the roof switches on cars like golfs and jags so maybe there is one at the lights up there?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

180de23a7e96d86aca8335f8014b2221.jpg

Here's where I've attached mine.

Reactions: Audigit
180de23a7e96d86aca8335f8014b2221.jpg

Here's where I've attached mine.

Your earth is making my eye twitch ha ha

Reactions: Meemo, TechNick, EXSpartan36 and 1 other person
The reason for having a dash cam

Can you imagine his story as opposed to mine. This was this morning.

Reactions: NL316, RS5 JON and Audigit
What brand of camera is that Mark? Very good quality and field of vision.

What brand of camera is that Mark? Very good quality and field of vision.

856cda0156ef07f85ba4df34975ac7e2.jpg

This, had it a few years now. Should be cheaper. It's very small and discrete

938355b55e586319720110caf6ab71a5.jpg

Oh he's only on
UK dash cams on YouTube

Reactions: rizzini7
exactly the same as everyone else.
I pulled down the head lining and posted the rear cam wires through to the back, completely hidden.
for front, pushed the wire under the head liners, pushed it down under the trim of the pillar and posted straight into the fuse box.
There is a perfect groove in the plastic by the door to thread the wire in :p

Grounded then just the Live (yellow) to my horn (25 amp fuse), and ignition (red) to my AC (5 amp fuse).
the wires to the left are the excess dash cam wires as there was a nice clear space to put them there :)
26908026385_52e641a544_c.jpg

split by the door hinge has the wire leading from the trim to fuse, wouldnt notice it, like they made that split for it :p

26635289910_66236b93e9_c.jpg

26814453192_5280ec7dbd_b.jpg

Reactions: feva
exactly the same as everyone else.
I pulled down the head lining and posted the rear cam wires through to the back, completely hidden.
for front, pushed the wire under the head liners, pushed it down under the trim of the pillar and posted straight into the fuse box.
There is a perfect groove in the plastic by the door to thread the wire in

Grounded then just the Live (yellow) to my horn (25 amp fuse), and ignition (red) to my AC (5 amp fuse).
the wires to the left are the excess dash cam wires as there was a nice clear space to put them there :)
26908026385_52e641a544_c.jpg

split by the door hinge has the wire leading from the trim to fuse, wouldnt notice it, like they made that split for it

26635289910_66236b93e9_c.jpg

26814453192_5280ec7dbd_b.jpg
Them mats are filthy

Them mats are filthy

You should see them now, 1 car sick dog plus i live in the countryside with a huge conker tree and fern trees around the whole drive.... its not pretty

You should see them now, 1 car sick dog plus i live in the countryside with a huge conker tree and fern trees around the whole drive.... its not pretty
You need a hazmat tent around the car Meemo

Reactions: Meemo
Only on my favorite YouTube channel for dash cam footage

@2:28

I'm trying to piggyback on a fuse for my dashcam but none of the passenger side fuses seem to be "switched live".

I have a UK right hand drive A4 B9 avant S-line Quattro.

Has anyone successfully piggybacked and if so, which exact fuse did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190708-115737.png
    Screenshot_20190708-115737.png
    874 KB · Views: 3,895
Last edited:
I'm trying to piggyback on a fuse for my dashcam but none of the passenger side fuses seem to be "switched live".

I have a UK right hand drive A4 B9 avant S-line Quattro.

Has anyone successfully piggybacked and if so, which exact fuse did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie
That’s the wrong fuse location, you need to be looking at the fuse box in the footwell, under a removable panel.

This is the official location that Audi recommend for the +15 connection.

Source: I’ve fitted the UTR to an A4 B9

Thank you!

Did you have a wire routing guide that helped with removing the A Frame cover and threading the wire through to the fuse location?

I can't find anything on YouTube or the web.

Charlie

Does anyone have any details of how they wired the rear camera in an Avant? All of the how to's I can find only seem to be for the front dashcam. That's all fitted fine on mine but I've just upgraded to a newer Blackvue which also has a rear camera I want to fit. Any help is appreciated. It would be easier if it was a saloon.

That’s the wrong fuse location, you need to be looking at the fuse box in the footwell, under a removable panel.

This is the official location that Audi recommend for the +15 connection.

Source: I’ve fitted the UTR to an A4 B9

Hi,

I have just refitted my Thinkware F770 to my 2019 Avant. I've done the hard stuff (mounting dashcam, cable routing), just need a switched and a permanent live for the main passenger side footwell fuse box for the piggy back switches. Ideally for full sized fuses, as I have the piggyback switches in full size but don't have any mini size piggy backs.

Most of those fuses will be switched. Can anyone provide the identity of any full sized permanent live fuses from that front passenger footwell fuse box? It seems only fuse banks C and E are full of full sized fuses, there might be some horizontally mounted fuses on banks A, B and D but I haven't had the bank covers off.

Thanks!