Dash Cam Thoughts

It's certainly cheap, but not very discreet, is it? I have a BlackVue, supplied by forum sponsor, Advanced In-Car Technologies. Click here for their product range. They cost more, but you get what you pay for, plus they're very stealthy and discreet once installed.

Personally I don't like the idea of big brother watching my every move. With secret recordings ending up at police stations as evidence that I may of pulled a slightly dodgy overtake.
We used to have to keep an eye out for traffic cops, then it was speed cameras and traffic cops, then average speed cameras and traffic cops and now the nosey neighbour is out there gathering traffic violation evidence !!!!!!

Reactions: Luke2.0tdi2010, Audi33 and V6 Quatt
They have pros and cons in equal measure. My reason for getting one was that I was fed up with close shaves with scum trying to fake an accident. I figured my powers of anticipation and speed of reaction wouldn't always save me.

Reactions: scotty76 and ruairi83
They have pros and cons in equal measure. My reason for getting one was that I was fed up with close shaves with scum trying to fake an accident. I figured my powers of anticipation and speed of reaction wouldn't always save me.
Jeff have you got a
Picture of yours installed? I defenitly need one as I'm a regional field engineer in work and I'm sick of close shaves and bad driving.

Jeff have you got a
Picture of yours installed? I defenitly need one as I'm a regional field engineer in work and I'm sick of close shaves and bad driving.
I'll find them for you. The one I have is the DR380, but I think that's been superseded now.

Reactions: ruairi83
Jeff have you got a
@ruairi83, I'm using the iPad just now, so attaching pics to this thread is a bit of a faff. But if you click on my my build thread in my signature below, go to post 460 on page 12, you should find pics of my camera.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/361270765701

I have this one, and have done for nearly a year, works great never crashes, records sound and clear video, iv put it behind my rear view mirror and then ran the cable in the headlining down the b pillar and under the carpet to the 12v charger. I swear by this for catching close calls. Also some ins companies give a 10% discount if u have one fitted.

I have a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH and will be fitting it to my new A4 salon over the weekend. And i wondered if you guys plugged it into the cigarette socket or hardwired it into a spare fuse

Mine's hard wired to permanent live via a power management box that allows it to run when the car's parked, only shutting down if the battery current drops below a pre- determined level.

Reactions: AU11 ALS
If you are using the Powermagic PRO i would be very interested on how you wired it in, and any tips you may have.

I recently changed my cheaper dash cam for this one. (on a lightning deal). Very happy with the picture quality etc, I actually bought another for the rear.

I have been thinking about this & Blackvue have very good reviews, My only concern is if i tint my rear window how clear it will capture the video.

I have been thinking about this & Blackvue have very good reviews, My only concern is if i tint my rear window how clear it will capture the video.
No problem at all. I had a dark tinted band across the top of the windscreen on my B7. The BlackVue's outlook was through the tinted section, and it was fine.

Reactions: golfather1
No problem at all. I had a dark tinted band across the top of the windscreen on my B7. The BlackVue's outlook was through the tinted section, and it was fine.

Excellent!! Thanks for that mate.

I've got a DrivePro 100, seems pretty good. Essential with the lying scumbags who drive into you when you are stationary then claim it was you as happened with my last car! The DrivePro 100 only records AV no GPS, so no record of speed. Also recorded the 1 hour 20 minutes the first service took on my S4. What good value for £269.36, they even let some air out of my tyres so they are 3-4psi too low!

Reactions: mister.c.
I run them in all my cars front and rear, they have saved me many times.

A guy reversed into my ML writing it off they tried to say I ran in to the back of him. His insurance said they would not pay, 10 minutes after receiving the dash cam footage, offered to pay in full.

Two boys misjudged a turn and dragged the whole side of his dad car down the steel nudge bar, his dad's new car had looked better. The lads tried to claim I started to pull out until I pointed out the cam, they changed their story then.

Caught a fatal RTA on it and the footage used in the inquest

And proved a lolly pop lady was lying when she claimed I drove through the crossing when she was in the middle of the road. She was a foot off the curb on in my blind spot, she lied to the police. Dash cam to the rescue!

My wife is a PI lawyer and dash cam footage is like gold to her.

I have caught many more crashes, I put them on Facebook to shame the drivers.

Reactions: mancdan, mister.c., golfather1 and 1 other person

A guy reversed into my ML writing it off they tried to say I ran in to the back of him. His insurance said they would not pay, 10 minutes after receiving the dash cam footage, offered to pay in full.

Two boys misjudged a turn and dragged the whole side of his dad car down the steel nudge bar, his dad's new car had looked better. The lads tried to claim I started to pull out until I pointed out the cam, they changed their story then.

And proved a lolly pop lady was lying when she claimed I drove through the crossing when she was in the middle of the road. She was a foot off the curb on in my blind spot, she lied to the police. Dash cam to the rescue!

Where do you live? Sounds like Mad Max land!!

Reactions: Locoblade, Luke2.0tdi2010, Dippy and 2 others
I am planning on getting one for when the car is parked. I have seen video of a friends car catching the sound of someone opening their door into his then the video showing the driver and number plate as they pulled away.

Reactions: Lavis89
Picked up my new A4 this morning and fitted the dash cam this afternoon.
Just need to find an Auto electrician to fit the Powermagic PRO

Where do you live? Sounds like Mad Max land!!
I'm a **** magnet, I can not go anywhere without some drama.

Reactions: mister.c. and Phill_
I have a front and rear one installed and the day After Installed it someone almost ran into me after cutting me up on a duel carriage way. when I got to the end of the road I pulled along side him and he started giving me a mouth full until I told him the whole thing from rear to front was recorded he shut up immediately. when I went back and looked at it he was racing another car and they had both been cutting in and out of the traffic.

I have recorded many near misses on the A1, M1, M62 M60 and M6 its one of the best things I have invested in for years and if you can afford one I would highly recommend getting one.

Reactions: jdp1962
I have a front and rear one installed and the day After Installed it someone almost ran into me after cutting me up on a duel carriage way. when I got to the end of the road I pulled along side him and he started giving me a mouth full until I told him the whole thing from rear to front was recorded he shut up immediately. when I went back and looked at it he was racing another car and they had both been cutting in and out of the traffic.

I have recorded many near misses on the A1, M1, M62 M60 and M6 its one of the best things I have invested in for years and if you can afford one I would highly recommend getting one.
Thanx Anthony566, May I ask which cam you went for?

Thanx Anthony566, May I ask which cam you went for?
Hi Chris,

I went for a BlackVue DR550GW-2CH which has been upgraded since with the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH I did the install and wiring myself and it was very easy to install the rear cam as well I also installed a Power Magic Pro this keeps the camera running while the car is turned off and monitors the car battery level to prevent the camera system from draining the battery below the level you need to start the car. ... I'm sure I have a set of photos somewhere ill have a look.

Reactions: jdp1962
@ruairi83, I'm using the iPad just now, so attaching pics to this thread is a bit of a faff. But if you click on my my build thread in my signature below, go to post 460 on page 12, you should find pics of my camera.
@jdp1962 - I'll help you out Jeff there as I'm on my MacBook. Here's the direct link @ruairi83 for Jeff's installed Dash cam -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-new-s4.241094/page-12#post-2505594

I'm still humming and harring over a Dash cam TBH. This being my preferred choice -
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_113549.html?wid=3

Hi Chris,

I went for a BlackVue DR550GW-2CH which has been upgraded since with the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH I did the install and wiring myself and it was very easy to install the rear cam as well I also installed a Power Magic Pro this keeps the camera running while the car is turned off and monitors the car battery level to prevent the camera system from draining the battery below the level you need to start the car. ... I'm sure I have a set of photos somewhere ill have a look.
how well do they connect together? or is it done through the Power Magic Pro?

I really must look into these..

i had one in my r32 thought it was quite good but was turned on when detecting movement going away for a week and parking infront of my chicken run at my nans it killed the battery but alot of chicken action if anyone wants a copy lol

Reactions: AU11 ALS, Phill_ and Smir
how well do they connect together? or is it done through the Power Magic Pro?

I really must look into these..

Only one wire to the rear view camera and you connect the main unit to the power magic pro and then the power magic pro to the car, so connecting was very easy you can also set this to be motion activated if you want. I installed the power magic to prevent the battery from being ran down and in the almost two years I have had it this has never happened I I do leave my car at the airport for the odd week etc.

Fitted the Road Angel Halo which has front & rear cams into our A4 (got a free sample from our RA Rep) and in the first two weeks wife was involved in a RTA on a roundabout, without the evidence from the cam would have at best been 50/50 from descriptions of the incident but with the cam evidence we were cleared and saved us the excess....

I also have a MiWitness HD in my A5, caught all sorts of incidents and as others have said, in the issues where road rage comes into it, just pointing at the camera gets them to back off!

Links to footage please :D

Only one wire to the rear view camera and you connect the main unit to the power magic pro and then the power magic pro to the car, so connecting was very easy you can also set this to be motion activated if you want. I installed the power magic to prevent the battery from being ran down and in the almost two years I have had it this has never happened I I do leave my car at the airport for the odd week etc.
I see so the rear cam doesn't run via the the Power Magic Pro to run constantly but save battery?

I've seen a Power Magic Pro Plus which has 2 connections? is it worth it?
Download

I see so the rear cam doesn't run via the the Power Magic Pro to run constantly but save battery?

View attachment 71911
I understood it to mean the rear view camera takes its power from the main camera, and the main camera takes its power via the Power Magic Pro. Then surely both cameras are then subject to power management?