Dash-Cam...positioning.

Kestrel

It's my birthday
Reaction score
I'm having a dash-cam (Nextbase 312GW) professionally plumbed into my car on Monday.
I think the best position for the camera is somewhere behind the rear view mirror.
But on the rear of the mirror on the left side (looking from the driving seat) there is a little window. I'm assuming this is some sort of sensor and therefore mustn't be blocked in any way.
So, where to put the camera...I could put it to the right of the mirror or even top left in front of the passenger.
Does anyone have any thoughts...or better still someone who has successfully made the decision?
Many thanks.
Mike.

That's a big unit to try and tuck somewhere nicely. Can you turn the screen off on them or it it displaying all the time?

The whole unit is only 3.5 inches by less than 2 inches so not that big really. The screen itself is only just over 2 inches by just over 1 inch.
Yes the screen can be turned off and can be set to turn off automatically after a few seconds.

It's what's put me off so far - I want to position it where it can't be seen (by me).
I did think of putting it behind the sun visor as I always have it in the down position but that's as far as I got. Complacency wins again!

The installation company do this all the time so I'm hopeful they will come up with a logical suggestion.

I'll try and get some pics of my BlackVue over the weekend. I can't see it from the drivers seat but it's visible as a passenger. I kept it to the left of the mirror as it was really visible to me if I moved it lower to miss all of the mirror housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Kestrel - How did this turn out? I'm currently eyeing up a Nextbase 412GW or 512GW.

@Kestrel - How did this turn out? I'm currently eyeing up a Nextbase 412GW or 512GW.
Well, I showed the fitter (`Hyde Park Corner` is the name of the company) to the car and asked him to tell me how he was going to do it. Hearing that he was going to `rip out` bits of trim on my new car made me run inside for a cuppa and I left him to it.
I had told him that I didn't want the little window at the rear of the rear view mirror blocked in any way.
When he'd finished and I had a look I was impressed by how he had hidden all the wiring and that on the face of it he had put it in the only logical position.
The trouble is that the way the camera I have bought connects to the cradle is a front and back motion rather than left and right (yours will be the same). It means that it is nigh on impossible to get it behind the mirror...let alone not blocking the little window.
BTW, I really don't know for sure what the little window is there for...I'm working on that.
Anyway, it is situated immediately to the left of the mirror in full view.
It doesn't bother me as the driver but the front passenger might become a little irritated by the permanent flashing of a little LED at the base of the camera indicating that it is recording. I would imaging yours would have the same sort of thing.
I may well take the car back to Halfords (where I bought it) and ask them if they can suggest a more `hidden` position. I wont do that though until I find out 100% what the function of the little window is.

@Brasso @Kestrel - Gotta have some pictures to see these installs please!

I'm looking at a Blackvue 650 2CH as I'm not too keen on the large screen you get with the Nextbase which would make it difficult to hide.

Here you go..............

Attachments

• Photo0542.jpg
    Photo0542.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 803
  • Photo0543.jpg
    Photo0543.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 677
  • Photo0544.jpg
    Photo0544.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 653
Reactions: TripleD
I see what you mean, because of the distance from mount to camera, that's quite a lot to hide without tucking it up behind the mirror.

Not good .

Can't beat a cylindrical style , non screen wifi based , that power cable goes into the stick on mount at the top .

Plus you get more dash reflections the lower you mount down and further away camera lense is to windsreen gap .

Not good .

Can't beat a cylindrical style , non screen wifi based , that power cable goes into the stick on mount at the top .

Plus you get more dash reflections the lower you mount down and further away camera lense is to windsreen gap .
Ah...that's really cheered me up! Thanks.

Reactions: Rob_F
Sorry bud .

I used to advocate Nextbase as they topped the Auto Express and Which tests .

My dad has a 512G , it's ace is the polarising filter .

But it's a monopoly as it's their cameras that are forwarded along with a familiar few and so some unsung heroes don't get a look in .

Most unsung can have a polarising filter purchased for under a tenner that drastically reduces the dash reflections .

I'll try and get some of mine tomorrow. I've only just got in so way too dark.

Blackvue 650 2 Channel fitted. I mounted it so the camera is in the centre of the screen so the unit is mounted slight off-centre to the right.

It's hardly visible from the driver and passenger seats and doesn't block the sensor on the rear view mirror, which I am pretty sure is for the auto-dimming mirrors (samples the light at the front to compare with the light at the rear for auto-dimming of the mirrors).

DSC00211
DSC00214
DSC00213

Reactions: duckduck
Cant be...its facing the wrong way...forwards!

It REALLY IS the sensor for the rear-view mirror! As I posted earlier, there are two sensors for the mirror, one is hidden behind the glass and faces backwards to catch the glare from the lights behind, the other one faces forward to detect ambient light. That's how it knows when it's dark, and when you're seeing glare.

It REALLY IS the sensor for the rear-view mirror! As I posted earlier, there are two sensors for the mirror, one is hidden behind the glass and faces backwards to catch the glare from the lights behind, the other one faces forward to detect ambient light. That's how it knows when it's dark, and when you're seeing glare.
Thank you.
I understand what you say, but I still don't see how a forward facing `sensor` can influence a REAR VIEW mirror.
I was happy to believe it was the sensor that recognised the diminishing light level and switched on the headlights when the switch was in `Auto`.
Now I'm confused again!

Blackvue 650 2 Channel fitted. I mounted it so the camera is in the centre of the screen so the unit is mounted slight off-centre to the right.

It's hardly visible from the driver and passenger seats and doesn't block the sensor on the rear view mirror, which I am pretty sure is for the auto-dimming mirrors (samples the light at the front to compare with the light at the rear for auto-dimming of the mirrors).

View attachment 118095 View attachment 118096 View attachment 118099
I must say, that's really neat.

Because it uses the two sensors in tandem. It needs to know whether it is dark outside the car, hence using a sensor to look out of the windscreen to see the ambient light levels. Once it gets dark it then uses the hidden sensor behind the mirror glass to detect if there is light shining on the mirror from a car behind. If it's dark out the front, and light at the back then it assumes it is being dazzled and will dim the mirror accordingly.

A rather crude explanation, but this is my understanding of how the mirrors work.

Reactions: Rob_F and cuke2u
Because it uses the two sensors in tandem. It needs to know whether it is dark outside the car, hence using a sensor to look out of the windscreen to see the ambient light levels. Once it gets dark it then uses the hidden sensor behind the mirror glass to detect if there is light shining on the mirror from a car behind. If it's dark out the front, and light at the back then it assumes it is being dazzled and will dim the mirror accordingly.

A rather crude explanation, but this is my understanding of how the mirrors work.
Not crude at all. Thank you for taking the time.

Reactions: mjcourtney

Spot On!

Reactions: mjcourtney
I was thinking of getting a dash cam installed - and was looking at the Duo.

Seems to me a bit pointless only getting a front camera as you really want to capture some idiot going into the back of you, or am i missing something ?

Has anyone seen a solution that fits into your front and rear bumpers - amazed Audi has not not yet offered this as an extra add on. We already have a rear view camera in the boot.

The camera on the boot is an aid to parking.
A `dashcam` on the other hand is normally installed to record a `coming together`. If it was positioned in the bumper it may well be destroyed and unreadable in the `coming together`.
I do though think it is time that high end manufactures started to add a `plumbed in` dashcam to their options list...and eventually onto their standard list.

Reactions: cuke2u
The camera on the boot is an aid to parking.
A `dashcam` on the other hand is normally installed to record a `coming together`. If it was positioned in the bumper it may well be destroyed and unreadable in the `coming together`.
I do though think it is time that high end manufactures started to add a `plumbed in` dashcam to their options list...and eventually onto their standard list.
Most 2 ch systems only record in 1 location, i.e. the front camera so if you could attach it into the rear parking camera that would be a neat solution!
Seems it's only Citroen that have decided dashcams are a good idea and have included them on the options list!

I was thinking of getting a dash cam installed - and was looking at the Duo.

Seems to me a bit pointless only getting a front camera as you really want to capture some idiot going into the back of you, or am i missing something ?

Has anyone seen a solution that fits into your front and rear bumpers - amazed Audi has not not yet offered this as an extra add on. We already have a rear view camera in the boot.

I got mine after somebody reversed into me and tried to say I drove into the back of them. Luckily somebody saw it and came over and offered to be a witness. The other driver then jumped in his car and drove off. If somebody goes into the back of you then it is normally their fault as they shouldn't be too close to be unable to stop, but it's always handy to have a rear view as well as front.

The Blackvue 650 2CH that I have fitted has front and rear cameras.

I suppose my main concern is incriminating myself with having one. But I really want one for the safety aspect, and for the parking mode.

Most 2 ch systems only record in 1 location, i.e. the front camera so if you could attach it into the rear parking camera that would be a neat solution!
Seems it's only Citroen that have decided dashcams are a good idea and have included them on the options list!

I don't understand what you mean. 2 Channels mean it can record from two separate cameras and normally a 2 channel camera would be provided with the front and rear cameras.

I'm surprised more manufacturers aren't building them in front and back, especially seeing as many cars have cameras on them now anyway.

I don't understand what you mean. 2 Channels mean it can record from two separate cameras and normally a 2 channel camera would be provided with the front and rear cameras.

I'm surprised more manufacturers aren't building them in front and back, especially seeing as many cars have cameras on them now anyway.
Sorry I mean the actual file storage is in 1 location for both cameras, so if the rear camera is trashed because of an accident the file proof would be stored on the front camera, so if the rear parking camera could be used it would make a nice tidy solution.

Its all getting a bit big brother, or some are just obsessed with recording garbage so they can post it on facebook or YouTube. I can't think of any incident I have been in my whole 44 years of driving where a dash cam would have been of any use.
Obviously they'll be some who will beg to differ..

Its all getting a bit big brother, or some are just obsessed with recording garbage so they can post it on facebook or YouTube. I can't think of any incident I have been in my whole 44 years of driving where a dash cam would have been of any use.

There are a lot of incidents where people are purposely causing accidents, suddenly braking in front of you on a clear road, or reversing into you at a junction or traffic lights, to claim on your insurance for 'whiplash'. I had it happen to me but, thankfully, somebody saw it, otherwise it would have been his word against mine. I used to think the same as you until that happened.

Sorry I mean the actual file storage is in 1 location for both cameras, so if the rear camera is trashed because of an accident the file proof would be stored on the front camera, so if the rear parking camera could be used it would make a nice tidy solution.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean now. True, even if the camera is damaged the recording on the card should be OK.

The parking mode is of interest as I've had a couple of cars damaged by people hitting mine while it was parked and driving off.

There are a lot of incidents where people are purposely causing accidents, suddenly braking in front of you on a clear road, or reversing into you at a junction or traffic lights, to claim on your insurance for 'whiplash'. I had it happen to me but, thankfully, somebody saw it, otherwise it would have been his word against mine. I used to think the same as you until that happened.
I'm not wishing to start a debate upon this as I am only expressing my own personal view. Yes I have seen the media scaremongering about this, thus leading to insurance companies justifying increasing their policy charges. A dash cam worked for you, I don't believe it'll ever work for me and is just more clutter within the cockpit that I don't want...

I'll try and get some of mine tomorrow. I've only just got in so way too dark.

9a7b6765e9f23be567dc9c68c1d8de96.jpg
b7485347f0717609b1cc92d0d7eb05f9.jpg
412099e56c926618d8e0c5d46f91be83.jpg

Finally got round to some photos. You can't see the camera from the driver's seat but obviously this means it's more visible from the passengers point of view.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TripleD
How do you remove it from its cradle...I assume a `left` motion?
Must say it looks more discreet than the position of mine.

Reactions: Brasso
Finally got round to some photos. You can't see the camera from the driver's seat but obviously this means it's more visible from the passengers point of view.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That is neat as *
Great job
You have even shown us the rear camera in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: Brasso