1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash Cam/park mode issues

Ren66 Jun 23, 2018

1. Ren66

Ren66 New Member

I have and Audi A1 S Line 1.4, 66 plate
    I've recently had a Blackvue DR590W-2CH camera fitted by a local auto fit company with power magic for park mode and 32GB memory card.
    The camera runs for so long in park mode and then shuts off completely, not being activated by motion or impact as it should. The camera only comes to life again when I start the ignition.
    I've been back and forth with said auto fit company (I know zero about hard wiring a dash cam/electrics) over the past month and we've even tried the DR750S-2CH camera and new wiring, but that shuts off for hours on end with no motion/impact detected when in park mode either.
    Has anybody else had this problem and do you have a solution?
    The auto fit place have suggested trying a different make of camera, but I'm concerned we're going to get the same problem if the real problem is with either the car or the actual install.
    Any advice would be great, thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Flowrider99

Flowrider99 Active Member Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition quattro Sportback S tronic

If the dashcam is constantly running i.e. not using motion detection, then the cars battery may be running low. When the hardwire kit sees the voltage drop below a certain value it will shut off the camera to save the remaining battery life.

4. Ren66

Ren66 New Member

Thanks Flowrider99. I have Power Magic pack installed for park mode - auto fit place said that this was an independent power pack and would keep the camera operational in park mode, for motion and impact detection, even if the car battery dropped below a certain level. Have I been advised incorrectly by auto fit co?

5. Flowrider99

Flowrider99 Active Member Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition quattro Sportback S tronic

They were wrong. The Power Magic does exactly what i said and monitors the cars battery level and switches off the camera when the battery level falls to a predetermined level.

6. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual Le Mans Edition

As being already said, battery pack can support any device that draws power from the battery. It will shut it off if battery level drops to a certain level, still allowing you to start a car.

Mentioned issue I think is with the dash cam.

Daft question but, have you activated park mode in the camera?
    You can switch in between recording modes to save battery or have more recording time.

Might be wrong here as to the camera model in question but dash cams usually have “constant on mode”, “ignition mode” and “parking mode” (which you want and is activated by the motion/g sensor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricTT likes this.
  7. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

I’ve used a few BlackVue cameras, (still do) and never had any issues. I’m also using the power magic.

There are three possible issues you should look at.
    1. Has parking mode been enabled in the BlackVue software - and do you know how to check it? Tutorial here
    2. The Power Magic needs to be set up correctly. There are a number of options, check this video, including how long you want to power the cam after turning off the car.
    3. Everything is set up correctly, but you have an older ageing car battery, that doesn’t hold a good charge. In this case everything is working correctly, and the cam is being powered off, to save the battery.
    Or do you have this fitted, which is a whole different issue......

KrisKrk likes this.
  8. Rob2k68

Rob2k68 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User MQB Platform

If going the separate battery route for max time in park mode consider the Cellink battery C or Neo products too as they have almost twice the capacity (running time) of the BlackVue B112 for similar money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Ren66

Ren66 New Member

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    Reading between the lines here, it sounds as though it could be a possible error with the install - something not toggled on maybe. Park mode is switched on, as it does record when parked, although for a short time.
    I've been trying to find a solution with the auto place for the past 5 weeks - I'll book in for them to look at it again, (this will be the 5th visit) they're well aware of the ongoing issue.

Tags: