Dash cam on rear sportback window?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey
I have a rear dashcam from my crashed Golf and going to install it on the Audi, but I do not have the suction mount as it broke in the accident, but when I did use it, it kept falling off when I used the defrost button so I want to use some 3M double sticky gel thing.

Anyway, one problem I had with the golf was when putting the camera on the window you could see the wires when you opened the back boot, and it did not look that great from the inside.

Apart from taking all the trim off the rear and possibly hard wiring it to hide the wire, is there a way of making sure you dont see the USB wire when you open and close the boot?

I tried for many moons to try hide the wire, but when you opened the boot the wire would need to stretch and then just hang at the rear.

Anyone got any good ideas to hide this?

Reactions: Jcbmally
Apart from taking all the trim off the rear and possibly hard wiring it to hide the wire
TBF mate I think your going to have to go with your plan A above. It would do my nut in if the wire was "showing" even if it was tucked away in a corner. The rear plastics are quite straight forward to remove. Good luck which ever way you do it.

Reactions: JohnM100
You will see an inch or so tbh, but running it into the boot trim & through the rubber flexy tube is how I install them all the time, you don't see any cable except where it plugs in, it's a fun job but looks great.

You have a nice car, don’t mess about and install properly buy routing the cable behind airbags and through the rubbers to the tailgate. Not the same car but it’s the first example I could find of an installation from my blog:

VAG Car Coding - Coding and Retrofit Blog

Reactions: S32B and JohnM100
I don't think I have airback in the back boot.
Thanks Alex, I think it's nice. It's no RS3 though lol
I tried the link for a step by step dashcam fitment but it's only pictures of where to run the cable.
Does it hardwire to the license plate light?
I have never worked on electrics with cars before, so a bit worried.
Also never have taken the rear panels off either.

I don't think I have airback in the back boot.
Thanks Alex, I think it's nice. It's no RS3 though lol
I tried the link for a step by step dashcam fitment but it's only pictures of where to run the cable.
Does it hardwire to the license plate light?
I have never worked on electrics with cars before, so a bit worried.
Also never have taken the rear panels off either.
run your front to rear connecting cable from the front to the back off the car, through the flex and to the tailgate. your front camera should have all the power connections which need to go to your fusebox and earth points, behind the glovebox and in the passenger foot well. Please don't go connecting to licence plate lights and all that rubbish. if you are not confident in completing the works or indeed get stuck then seek assistance via the forum or via a professional.

Reactions: Wibbly
Yeah thats really above my head Alex, I dont even own a soldering gun, infact I have never even touched an electrical wire in a vehice before.
Really appreciate your help on this. I think I will just hook it up for now for safety and then when I find someone local I will get them to hardwire it.

Or as I am coming to you soon anyway, I may just leave it and ask you to do an extra job for me above the cameras and senors.

Reactions: DJAlix