Darkside Side Mount Intercooler

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So yeah I won one of these on eBay taken from a pd130 Golf.

My engine code is AWX (1.9tdi) and on the website it doesn't mention this engine but I've seen it fitted on pd130 A4's before so I was basically wondering if anyone has any experience and if they could tell me which silicon pipe I need for my EGR delete.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....i-pd130-asz-and-us-spec-bew-pd100-engine.html

Absolutely any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

I've changed my intercooler (only standard one) and found it extremely tight fitting. So anything bigger is probably going to be a PITA to fit.

As for the delete pipe I just used the original black silicone elbow with the metal collar sawn off.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ah right cool so I might be able to get away with using the original pipe?

Called Darkside and they basically said suck it and see which wasn't much help.

Just out of interest Jake, how come you didnt go full on FMIC ? Lots of VAG motors have FMIC with hardware and upgraded turbos for some lethal 1.9TDI fun

Have you received the intercooler yet?

I imagine it might be a bit chunky to fit in as the MK4 golf ASZ platform had loads of space for a fatter SMIC hence why darksides option for AVF is a small FMIC.

Here's couple of pics of my "turborevs" SMIC back in the day, nearly double the thickness of the standard SMIC core.

Hopefully this shows the amount of space that particular platform has to play with.

Reactions: DrStrange
I had one of these on my Bora. They are massive, and I'm pretty sure the inlet/outlet are in the wrong place for the A4, which is why I didn't keep it to fit to mine.

Just out of interest Jake, how come you didnt go full on FMIC ? Lots of VAG motors have FMIC with hardware and upgraded turbos for some lethal 1.9TDI fun

Didn't want to cut the front bumper and it came up cheap.

Have you received the intercooler yet?

I imagine it might be a bit chunky to fit in as the MK4 golf ASZ platform had loads of space for a fatter SMIC hence why darksides option for AVF is a small FMIC.

Here's couple of pics of my "turborevs" SMIC back in the day, nearly double the thickness of the standard SMIC core.

Hopefully this shows the amount of space that particular platform has to play with.

That looks ace!

Came the other day but I've been putting off fitting it until I know whether or not I can make it work.

Does make sense if it's just a space thing, think I'll rip off the old ducts and stuff to make a bit more room.

I had one of these on my Bora. They are massive, and I'm pretty sure the inlet/outlet are in the wrong place for the A4, which is why I didn't keep it to fit to mine.

Ahhh that's not what I wanted to hear :crying: can quite easily see that being the case.

Reactions: DrStrange
If you manage to fit it, but have to remove the standard ducts, you will have to make some or it will be less efficient than the standard ic.
That was the mistake a lot of people made when fitting them to the Mk4, they just stuck the ic on the with no ducting, so all the cold air would just fly around the outsides of the ic rather than through it.

Ended up getting a front mount intercooler, if anyone wants a cheap side mount kit they can have it for £140