Dark area between dip and main beam A4 Avant Quattro

Hofner500/1

Reaction score
When I switch to main beam from dipped headlights, there is a gap between the two light patterns on the offside unit. It gives the road ahead an unlit area and appears like a bouncing beam of black light that is frustrating because areas of tarmac in front of me are unlit and dangerous because it is distracting.
Has anyone else experienced this with their A4? My local Audi dealership tell me it is 'normal'.
On a car that is less than a year old I find this unbelievable and unacceptable.
Suggestions / comments please.
I need help before I have an accident at night!

Many thanks

Hi I don't seem to have this with the b8.5 zenons. The range is quite short on dipped however ther is no gap between the lights. I would ask them to test it out over night or late on when it is dark

The Halogen headlights are not that good really compared to what most Xenon equipped cars have. I believe on the B9 halogens are no longer an option and the minimum spec is xenons.
Changing the bulbs to uprated items will improve the range by putting more light out on the road.The standard bulbs are normal Osram items used because they have a long life.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/car-bulbs-halogen-headlight-bulb-reviews
At the end of the day it's hard to beat the light output from Xenons.
I upgraded my headlights from halogen to xenon by dismantling them and fitting an aftermarket projector unit. Not really what you want to be doing but you can see the difference in light output before and after.

Karls 3.0 TDI build thread

The Halogen headlights are not that good really compared to what most Xenon equipped cars have. I believe on the B9 halogens are no longer an option and the minimum spec is xenons.
Changing the bulbs to uprated items will improve the range by putting more light out on the road.The standard bulbs are normal Osram items used because they have a long life.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/car-bulbs-halogen-headlight-bulb-reviews
At the end of the day it's hard to beat the light output from Xenons.
I upgraded my headlights from halogen to xenon by dismantling them and fitting an aftermarket projector unit. Not really what you want to be doing but you can see the difference in light output before and after.

Karls 3.0 TDI build thread
Changing from halogens to any other format is not an option as there are two years left before the warranty expires. My dealer has already warned me about invalidating the manufacturers warranty.
I was rather hoping that someone had experienced my problem, then I will know it is an Audi design fault. If anyone has had this problem, how did you/dealer fix it.
If I'm alone then I know it's repairable under warranty and that my dealer is failing to assist.
Please guys, help me out here...

I have the exact same issue on my 2011 a4 avant.
Only in the left though.