Dan's B9 S4 Avant Thread

Yeah, thanks. Didn't realise about the edge difference with wrap vs. PPF. Think I'll get my next one PPF'd, even if it is only the front end: stone chips are the killer for me! Don't necessarily fancy a full wrap, looking forward to seeing how yours turns out though. Is the wrap as durable a material as the PPF?

Yeah, PPF for outright protection is definitely better.

The 3M wrap isn't as durable as the PPFs as it's more designed for colour than protection, but it will still provide a level of protection against light scratching (cats/birds/small stone chips/people brushing against it/etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some progress shots from today. It's a very subtle difference but I like it a lot!

f8d88e278a88eec0e61c2ffd329e827d.jpg

92c5b91f4f36670ca3e4a28b7a31aec6.jpg

ccebaf39d79cf59a2a9d6e744da1823f.jpg

7debcfc84ee444c5d2f26082b99ce1e2.jpg

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Thundercliffe81, GaryP and 3 others
Those latest pics are great, looking forward to seeing some outdoor shots of the finished beauty!

Reactions: Daggerit
A few shots of the finished wrap. I really like it but it really doesn’t look all that different in pictures. Haha. I really like the look of it and should help keep the paint a little protected at least.

8001d5362eb2be0005e3050ba0d5ee21.jpg

0dc4abac44997a378984e127a43045d5.jpg

519a85d3c3b51b50d7bf8911f7435d00.jpg

3700c306c55b5699121b9509f765250f.jpg

Reactions: Dunders, Bristle Hound, Thundercliffe81 and 2 others
Looks great, they did an awesome job. Looks a nice slightly Matt finish, very stealthy. Is it more expensive than a decent ceramic coating ?

Looks great, they did an awesome job. Looks a nice slightly Matt finish, very stealthy. Is it more expensive than a decent ceramic coating ?

Yeah, the satin is a halfway between metallic and full matte so it’s exactly what I was looking for.

It probably is more expensive than a good ceramic coating I’d imagine but I like having the physical vinyl between my car and people who might scratch it. Haha.

Well, a little bit of an update...

I can't remember if I'd said in any of my posts previously but I've been waiting for the Milltek Valvetronic system to be released for the Avant with sports diff (currently only available for those with a saloon and no sports diff). I contacted Milltek last week who confirmed that they haven't started development of the system yet. Fair enough. However, they also stated that they hadn't found a development vehicle yet and were looking for one. Cue a very excited Dan.

Long story short, I'll be heading down to Milltek to have them use my car for developing a new exhaust but likely won't have time to fabricate up a production unit for me in the limited time I have with them, so I'll be leaving with the stock exhaust it seems. They've offered me the opportunity of having one delivered early in the following week with my choice of res/non-res and also whatever tips I want. The communication and service has been spot on so far.

Hopefully they'll let me take some photos and things so that I can share them with you guys as the day unfolds. Apart from that, I'll just hang out on their simulator that they've offered to me for the day while I wait. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Keef and Riko0073
A few shots of the finished wrap. I really like it but it really doesn’t look all that different in pictures. Haha. I really like the look of it and should help keep the paint a little protected at least.
Is it just me, or have they forgotten to wrap the bottom of the sills under the doors? Or is that just not possible to do?

Is it just me, or have they forgotten to wrap the bottom of the sills under the doors? Or is that just not possible to do?

No, you’re totally right. I asked him about it before he started as they’re textured.

He said he can do them for me, no worries, but that it would look pretty terrible with the satin wrap. If the car was a totally different colour I’d have gotten it done but since it’s so close I wasn’t too bothered. Only a car guy like you or me would notice and if it starts to bother me I’ll just pop back in.

Nice work with milltek, I remember one of the guys who just robe on here did the same when they developed the system for the B8 3.0 TDi! At the time I spoke to the main man at milltek, very helpful!
Can't wait to hear the system oh and I'd choose the gold plated tips

Nice work with milltek, I remember one of the guys who just robe on here did the same when they developed the system for the B8 3.0 TDi! At the time I spoke to the main man at milltek, very helpful!
Can't wait to hear the system oh and I'd choose the gold plated tips

I was gonna go for the matte titanium tips, but if they have gold then I could be tempted!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
No, you’re totally right. I asked him about it before he started as they’re textured.

He said he can do them for me, no worries, but that it would look pretty terrible with the satin wrap. If the car was a totally different colour I’d have gotten it done but since it’s so close I wasn’t too bothered. Only a car guy like you or me would notice and if it starts to bother me I’ll just pop back in.
True, I only noticed because of the closeup shot of the back door / wheel from a low angle - it’s not really noticeable in the distant shots or, I imagine, when you’re standing by the car. Hadn’t thought about the textured surface there!

Well, the exhaust all got done today! I arrived at 0500 and the R&D guy, Kev, managed to get the system all mocked up and sorted by about 1400 so I could head back ip the road. I was pretty impressed!

They were desperate for the car because they said they couldn’t find an Avant with a sports differential anywhere, even asking Audi UK who didn’t have any. I must be the only numpty who bought a family wagon with a sporty setup...

Anyway, here are some pictures from today and if anyone is interested in buying a system for an S4/S5 with the sports diff then they should be available by the beginning of November and will be listed as a different system to the cars without the sports diff.

If you have any questions then fire away, otherwise, here’s the photos!

353963f696b480c1ccddd078f5e0aa65.heic

054b29446f76d22e60f731bbc8e91f1d.heic

d75b04c8a4087b91dedec5967c93c110.heic

156f57e5d5f8011fae0a01f66ee12f1b.heic

b35f39d9eeacc7730d855bd115c61ad6.jpg

df9b33773ced79b0e9e0772b805e8419.heic

831724acabcbb2f76f29f2863a208c56.heic

bf5fbb687aee32f9d92eb958e847a982.jpg

4c8d6fc2269d50c2788b49af96ebfd92.heic

6e43f66068c050ced0fdd820cb084ce7.heic

8ad7e63d59332478f054f9c84b038288.heic

Reactions: Keef and Thundercliffe81
Well, the exhaust all got done today! I arrived at 0500 and the R&D guy, Kev, managed to get the system all mocked up and sorted by about 1400 so I could head back ip the road. I was pretty impressed!

They were desperate for the car because they said they couldn’t find an Avant with a sports differential anywhere, even asking Audi UK who didn’t have any. I must be the only numpty who bought a family wagon with a sporty setup...

Anyway, here are some pictures from today and if anyone is interested in buying a system for an S4/S5 with the sports diff then they should be available by the beginning of November and will be listed as a different system to the cars without the sports diff.

If you have any questions then fire away, otherwise, here’s the photos!

353963f696b480c1ccddd078f5e0aa65.heic

054b29446f76d22e60f731bbc8e91f1d.heic

d75b04c8a4087b91dedec5967c93c110.heic

156f57e5d5f8011fae0a01f66ee12f1b.heic

b35f39d9eeacc7730d855bd115c61ad6.jpg

df9b33773ced79b0e9e0772b805e8419.heic

831724acabcbb2f76f29f2863a208c56.heic

bf5fbb687aee32f9d92eb958e847a982.jpg

4c8d6fc2269d50c2788b49af96ebfd92.heic

6e43f66068c050ced0fdd820cb084ce7.heic

8ad7e63d59332478f054f9c84b038288.heic

Daaaaaaaamn Son. That looks epic with the black tips. Much bigger too.

I've got the diff on my Avant! Haha. I'm up North though. How much was this bad boy or how much will it be?

We need sound clips

Reactions: Keef
Daaaaaaaamn Son. That looks epic with the black tips. Much bigger too.

I've got the diff on my Avant! Haha. I'm up North though. How much was this bad boy or how much will it be?

We need sound clips

I don’t know how true it is but it sounds like we’re in the minority of Avant owners with the sports diff then!

I’m all the way up in Aberdeen so it was a fair trek for only being there a day but totally worth it.

The Black tips look good but in my opinion they get lost in the black diffuser so that’s why I’m going to go for the bushes titanium to give it a little bit of contrast but not go full chrome. Those are the GT100 tips and they also have GT90 and oval tips but when they showed me the 90’s they looked a bit off to me because you could see the back box between them and they didn’t fill the opening all the way. The 100’s look aftermarket but not mental (so long as you don’t choose the burnt titanium option ).

No sound clips yet as this was a prototype system so they didn’t want to run the car in case it warped even a tiny bit and threw the jig off after.

Interestingly, they showed me the sound figures for the OEM, res and non-res and the res is essentially the same as stock at idle and low revs but flows significantly more if tuned, which is the main point of it. If anyone is looking for a little more noise then you have to go for the non-res. Glad I found this out as I was going to go for the non-res and probably would’ve been disappointed with the sound level.

Prices are as follows (approx RRP):

Cat back valvetronic - £2,500
Cat back non-valved - £1,700
Sport cat down pipe - £1,450
Decat down pipe - £550

They’re expensive but all their systems I’ve ever heard are very classy, for lack of a better term. I think hey said they should all be available from the end of the month.

There may be a few hundred quid difference for tip choice, not sure.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Keef
Nice tips!
Wow must have been a long day for you pal.
Car looks great with the black tips.
So when do you get your system?

Oh and I'm also a numpty with an Avant and sports diff......we should start a club

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Yeah, definitely a long day!

Not sure yet, I might get a system before the first production run or might have to wait. Likely the end of the month though, if not the beginning of November.

I’ll definitely get some before and after sounds shots too!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Keef
Nice tips!
Wow must have been a long day for you pal.
Car looks great with the black tips.
So when do you get your system?

Oh and I'm also a numpty with an Avant and sports diff......we should start a club

You've said it now...

Reactions: Keef
I find the tips slightly too large. Makes the rear look a bit GTR.

Shame photo bucket no longer works. I would show you a very rust looking Milltek stainless system. Its a shame they don't use the best materials as the workmanship is very hard to fault.

I find the tips slightly too large. Makes the rear look a bit GTR.

Shame photo bucket no longer works. I would show you a very rust looking Milltek stainless system. Its a shame they don't use the best materials as the workmanship is very hard to fault.

They do look pretty big there but I think that the angle wasn’t great because the car was up on the ramp. I was going to go for the smaller GT90 tips but thought that they actually looks a bit small to be honest. Originally I was going to go for smaller tips and resonated but came away wanting the bigger ones and a non res system... Go figure.

As for the materials, it’s all 304 grade stainless that they use, same as almost every other manufacturer (excluding titanium systems of course). It’s not as good as 316 for corrosion but still never had any issues on past cars. Plus it has a lifetime guarantee so you can just take it back it falls apart.

Well, happy birthday to me!

7529d8714af06a3da3a1c27c9275e9e5.jpg

6ef96b7b25db795d2de069dbb8356fc8.jpg

Why?! Why can’t folk leave other people’s things alone? Thankfully I think that the wrap absorbed the damage but the scratch is seriously deep on the headlight...

Anyone know how much a bear side matrix headlight unit costs?

awful, Really sorry to see.

well at least you are justified in rapid fitting of the wrap.

Headlight may well buff out.

Sorry dude!
Headlight should hopefully machine polish out or at least most of it!
Dread to think of the cost of a new unit

Not as expensive as I thought it would be actually! A bargain at £1,594.36 inc. VAT! Hahaha.

In all fairness it's cheaper than I thought it would be...

That's horrendous, hate seeing damage to people's property. I hope it buffs out ok.

Dude I feel your pain, really boils my p*** :rage: when people vandalise someone's car, has happened to me several times on previous cars (once when I'd just had a full re-spray after some other, ahem, cee you next tuesday had stolen our old mk1 Golf GTi cabriolet) they did both sides, front to back down to the metal.

Fingers and toes crossed that the wrap has protected your paint and I'd have thought your detailer would be able to at least minimise as much as possible the headlight damage, as £1.6+VAT for a headlight isn't a nice thought, what's your insurance excess?

Dude I feel your pain, really boils my p*** :rage: when people vandalise someone's car, has happened to me several times on previous cars (once when I'd just had a full re-spray after some other, ahem, cee you next tuesday had stolen our old mk1 Golf GTi cabriolet) they did both sides, front to back down to the metal.

Fingers and toes crossed that the wrap has protected your paint and I'd have thought your detailer would be able to at least minimise as much as possible the headlight damage, as £1.6+VAT for a headlight isn't a nice thought, what's your insurance excess?

Excess is only £500 but not going to replace it on insurance. £1,600 including VAT isn’t the end of the world if I want to fix it later but it’s the principal... And at least it’s working alright and it wasn’t serious damage.

If the paint is scratched too then I’ll start getting more mad!

Sorry to see this, like others have said hopefully the headlight will polish out.

Thanks guys, nice to have the emotional support. Haha

My old car went back on the 28th September. On the 19th I had two slashed front tyres and big dunt in the front - nothing like this has ever happened before here. To say I was raging is an understatement, even with cheap as chips tyres it cost me £650 in repairs, but it's the feeling of unseen people abusing your stuff that was the worst thing. It makes you distrust people more than you'd like to. Hope this is a one-off that gets sorted quickly and is soon forgotten!

My old car went back on the 28th September. On the 19th I had two slashed front tyres and big dunt in the front - nothing like this has ever happened before here. To say I was raging is an understatement, even with cheap as chips tyres it cost me £650 in repairs, but it's the feeling of unseen people abusing your stuff that was the worst thing. It makes you distrust people more than you'd like to. Hope this is a one-off that gets sorted quickly and is soon forgotten!
WTF!!! So p*ssed with these idiots that feel it's acceptable to damage others property!

I've got cameras installed on my house all round, hopefully a good deterant or at least catch the scumbags that think it's ok to damage my stuff.