Dane's Hybrid Conversion Thread

Very sad news for you guys. So theres a manifold going hey??? hum wheres my credit card

Yeah, you know what your getting with a garrett though and im not too bothered about the work involved its pretty much been apart enough times already.

Cheers for the support chaps, I'll get it back and see how it behaves ;)

If it goes bt I'd like c. 400 brake :eyebrows:

A well set up hybrid will be far more reliable than a BT setup...common sense

I beg to differ. ;)
Depends on so many other factors...

state of tune etc etc max'd out small frame unit like a hybrid or a bigger unit which is working in its comfort zone more.

both have their merits... but the crux of this fiasco on Danes has been poor quality turbo supplier(s)
It beggars belief what gets sent out as a ready to use turbo..

and I have "yet another fcuking turbo" here for another car which is guess what?!?!?!??! Not ****** right as supplied either!
spot the obvious issue on this one.. there should be no light from beneath the penny washer! or loose.. Un-Fecking-Believable!

YOUTUBE VIDEO BELOW
‪loose wastegate 1‬‏ - YouTube

*** - I want to go home

A Furious BADGER sits here currently.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. ;)
Depends on so many other factors...

state of tune etc etc

The strain on non engine related parts alone...
Your obviously pushing the boundaries on a BT so things are going to break sooner rather than later,
Thats why i went for the middle of the road, with an hybrid...:icon_thumright:
Depends what you are after and the money you are prepared to shell out, knowing Dane likes the white knuckle side of it, he maybe should have gone BT from the offset, he would have probably have been bored with hybrid power very quickly .

Your obviously pushing the boundaries on a BT so things are going to break sooner rather than later,
Depends what you are after and the money you are prepared to shell out, knowing Dane likes the white knuckle side of it, he maybe should have gone BT from the offset, he would have probably have been bored with hybrid power very quickly .

:laugh: hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think, had Danes gone like wellys had it would have been a great package, but from the start, the messed up CR unit and defective hotside put the kaibush on that, and F23 tried instead.. 300whp claims etc seemed good. The rest is history. :(

oh joy!

Is that with the actuator preloaded bill? just looked at mine and when you take the tension off, my penny is just as loose..?

that is as supplied Dave (the youtube) with supposed preload.. which is'nt possible as there was insufficient thread length on the rod anyhows.
ran a die down it another 5mm-8mm so it now has some preload and holds shut.

Has anyone considered going the same route as Welly?
Barks is..
V1 CR unit, 2283 wheel, no clipped turbine, AEB head, rods... 550cc injectors etc etc etc (ported by me, on genuine BW hotside only)
Only question mark on that is AH's crappy original FMIC coping with it or not

they are supposed to be held shut.. and with some preload, which they will need to stay shut, they wont easilt spin no.

Having talked to Dane about this yesterday on the phone, I know how he feels.

Disappointment is a hard pill to swallow, however I managed to 'get there in the end'.

Sorry to hear the F23 just didn't work out guys - bummer.

I know how much time and effort has gone into this from all aprties that have been involved, especially you Bill.

End result = booooo.

F23.. thats a real shame, but I can understand everyones fustration, quality issues are just crap!!! I imagine this has put everyone of hybrid for a while.... Just think Dane you will probally go bigger and better!!!

Last edited:
F23.. thats a real shame, but I can understand everyones fustration, quality issues are just crap!!! I imagine this has put everyone of hybrid for a while.... Just think Dane you will probally go bigger and better!!!

That video is rubbish, how can everything that comes out of CR be different, surely there are only so many way you can **** things up, I really hope that isn't my one (fingers crossed)
While it is a shame, and everybody was eager of the outcome, this was a prototype turbo, and im sure frankenturbo will address the issues, going by cr turbos lack of detail to there brand... im sure the f23 will evolve.. dont forget if it was not for these companys we would all be driving our boring standard cars, unfortunatly for some, someone has to pay the price...as long as we all are learning in the process it will all come out good......swings and roundabouts...

Plus 1, it's all a learning curve!

That video is rubbish, how can everything that comes out of CR be different, surely there are only so many way you can **** things up, I really hope that isn't my one (fingers crossed)

that video is'nt CR dude.. Its not their turbo..

While it is a shame, and everybody was eager of the outcome, this was a prototype turbo, and im sure frankenturbo will address the issues, going by cr turbos lack of detail to there brand... im sure the f23 will evolve.. dont forget if it was not for these companys we would all be driving our boring standard cars, unfortunatly for some, someone has to pay the price...as long as we all are learning in the process it will all come out good......swings and roundabouts...

F23 is not a prototype turbo.. Its sold as an available K04 hybrid with claims of 300whp *cough*
Reality is somewhat wide off this however. In airflow terms for this power claim to be real, it would need to flow 270g/s and it most certainly does not. (2283 CR unit on speedy steve's had logged an airmass of 270g/s I recall)

I have to say i am disuaded from going that route myself now from what i have read and seen.

It's just a shame some of it was at Danes/ Bill expense. Keep it up guys, don't give up !!

Maybe it's a dodgy batch or something?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issues

I'm sure you'll end up with the tarmac eater you desire which ever route you go :racer:

that video is'nt CR dude.. Its not their turbo..

Ah oops, I retract that comment then, my bad!

There does seem to be real quality issues that could be easily overcome with just a little thought with all the suppliers. Then no one would have to pay the price of 'manufacturing' defects.

Which ever route is taken, I am sure it will turn out well, keep up the good work

Haha pretty much! Lots if time and effort gone in for it to have Gone as it has. Lessons learned and all that, I hope it provides some useful info into the future!

If we go with it, it'll be a top mount garrett fo sho ;)

If we go with it, it'll be a top mount garrett fo sho ;)

crxofdeath9xh.jpg

Reactions: Inertiauk and Barks