Dancing Matrix LEDs in fog

psychopomp1

Reaction score
It was quite misty/foggy yesterday evening on the A9 just south of Inverness and it was amazing to see the Matrix LED headlights in action in such conditions - obviously I had the 'auto full beam' on.

The road was dual carriageway going over rolling hills, in pitch black conditions with heavy fog and light traffic.

You could see the individual light beam rays constantly changing direction depending on light source ahead. I think the presence of fog caused the beams to appear crystal clear and they're definitely not that clear when driving in clear, dark conditions. I thought my headlights had malfunctioned when i hit the first fog patch lol

screen shots

Reactions: Sandra, Terminator x, cuke2u and 1 other person
There's a video on YouTube showing a similar effect . It's great to see how the beam pattern is constantly changing.
Hope you weren't taking the photo's on your phone when driving :fearscream:
The A9 is an amazing road!

Reactions: Sandra and psychopomp1
I read somewhere that there are 32 million possible light patterns with the Matrix headlights. If true, that's staggering!!

Reactions: DaveW
Mine amazed me when I first saw them working, I think its a little harder to see the road signs though when they switch that segment off so as not to dazzle you and there don't illuminate them as much....

Mine do illuminate the road sings which I found odd after having a BMW 440i with adaptive and it always moved the light around the road sings as I presumed the reflections made it think it was an oncoming light source, ie another vehicle

With mine they initially are illuminated and bright and then you see it switch those segments off so as not to dazzle you, I think I have seem this mentioned in the manual or brochure also.

I am still trying to get my head around the fact I can in theory drive with full beam on at all times!

I used it on a trip down the A1 the other weekend an enjoyed watching the light patterns change, but I just kept thinking I was dazzling others?!

Even without full beam on the lights seem brighter than my S3 Xenon's.

After over 2 years of ownership I'm yet to see another Audi with the matrix lights on display on the roads.

A real shame cause I'd love to see from a different persons perspective how they look especially when they dance around and light up different areas at the same time!

It does attract attention although I don't think it's ever dazzled anyone apart from a few Lorrys in the past.

Can anyone here get a photo or video of how they look in action? I've seen an old Audi advert video showing them but only that.. No videos or pics from owners :(

Perhaps you haven't seen one because they do their job very well? I am sure I have seen cars coming towards me with led headlamps, I expect they were mostly seats as they were giving them away with the cars at some point.

Perhaps you haven't seen one because they do their job very well? I am sure I have seen cars coming towards me with led headlamps, I expect they were mostly seats as they were giving them away with the cars at some point.

The matrix lights are very noticeable in terms of the design of the headlamps - ive seen what they look like when I start the car initially when they do the matrix dance that's why I've never seen another car with them on coming at me (I've seen a lot of a4s)

I've seen a few s5s however with what looks like the matrix led design however they look like it's the actual headlights?

So this might sound a bit mental...

I was also on the A9 last night on my way to Aviemore and trying the Matrix LED lights out for the first time ever. Having thought that these were a waste of money before I’m now absolutely sold on them after this trip.

The mental bit is that I passed a light coloured A4 estate on a dual carriageway section and remember thinking he must have matrix LEDs as well. Just as I thought that the headlights in my rear view mirror changed so that I wasn’t getting dazzled.

Could it have been you? Were you south of Aviemore before or around 9:00pm?

Reactions: psychopomp1
So this might sound a bit mental...

I was also on the A9 last night on my way to Aviemore and trying the Matrix LED lights out for the first time ever. Having thought that these were a waste of money before I’m now absolutely sold on them after this trip.

The mental bit is that I passed a light coloured A4 estate on a dual carriageway section and remember thinking he must have matrix LEDs as well. Just as I thought that the headlights in my rear view mirror changed so that I wasn’t getting dazzled.

Could it have been you? Were you south of Aviemore before or around 9:00pm?
Can't have been me mate as
a) I was travelling from Inverness to Carrbridge
b) it was around 6-7pm

But yeah I agree, the A9 is a great road to drive at night with Matrix lights.

Reactions: Evil Derboy
they are brilliant - i have a mountain road that i have to transverse every day as its my commute to work. the matrix lights at this time of the year are great.

my mate who is a paramedic and a massive road safety advocate was gob smacked with the lights when i took him for a late night spin.

I definitely appreciate my Matrix LEDs for the back road routes around me. My only concern is when you come over the crest of a hill, especially with taller vehicles like lorries, you blind them for a second until the camera sees the headlights so I tend to tip them myself if it looks like that might be the case. Apart from that I'd give the system a 10 out of 10. :)

No different really then to most of the humans that live around our village with candlelight headlamps, prolly cos they can't see in the dark very well...

Reactions: Daggerit