Damn stuck stereo

gaz71

1.8T Quattro Sport AJL
Reaction score
Hello again guys,

I need to get my concert radio out but the right hand clip just won't give it up :banghead:

Any ideas of how get the damn thing free or another way to get the radio out :sos:

If its stuck, which is possible & not unheard of, you'll have to get in from behind to wedge say a flat screwdriver in to release the bracket or go from the front but would damage the unit & the trim area, so try from behind which involves removal of trims/glovebox etc, crappy job for sure.

You can't get to the clip from behind. Best option is to gently prise off the entire front facia of the HU which will give you access to the clip

I would disagree as I've known of someone to do this from the rear somehow, but if your suggestion works easier & quicker then all for it, but isnt the fascia screwed on with torx headed screws?

try going in at a strong angle towards the outer side of the unit as if to hook it back to the inner side . If this doesnt work trim the key down a bit more and try again , ive had many a stuck vag stereo and donr this and every one has come out doing this.

DO NOT prise the front fasia as there are 2 8m screws holding it to the console mounting hidden under the sides otf the stereo.

just seen you was refering to headunit fascia yes this is possible but easy to break bits off it too.

Just out of interest, is there a nut holding the radio in place?

There is a bolt on the back of my replacement radio and the one I'm trying to remove is the original.

I don't think it has ever been removed.

The bolt on the back is for the stereo to dissipate heat, and doesn't attach to anything else. Best bet is what rasA4 said, and try with the radio removal keys. I just popped over to my local friendly garage who took it out for me for a couple of quid :)

Bolt on the back is actually for support, it rests in a rebate behind the dash to relieve the pressure on the HU cage. Chances are the spring clips have been bent out of shape by the failed attempts at removal. If that is the case the removal keys will not budge it.

Tried with the removal keys and still no joy.

The radio comes out about 15mm then won't budge.

Looks like I'm going to be doing some serious dismantling this weekend :)

Got the damn thing out :jump:

Sheer brute force did it in the end, with a bit of help from a small screwdriver.

Problem was the clip was totally mangled and bent.

New one from olds_kool fitted, no annoying volume control :respekt:

I am one happy man :icon_thumright: