Damage estimates please chaps

monty77

Reaction score
Website
www.s3.adam-m.co.uk
Happened yesterday, got rear ended while waiting at a roundabout on my lunch break.

Bumper/tailgate are knackered..boot floor 'looks' ok - looks like she hit me ****** hard though, or do all A3s do this?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Cheers,
Adam

damn man, it looks like she hit you reall hard. My bro got his car smashed in from the back by some 16 year old Kev with no license. Even though his car was a complete write off my bro's VW V6 4motion took the impact and it doesn't look as bad as yours

[ QUOTE ]
damn man, it looks like she hit you reall hard. My bro got his car smashed in from the back by some 16 year old Kev with no license. Even though his car was a complete write off my bro's VW V6 4motion took the impact and it doesn't look as bad as yours

[/ QUOTE ]

My only concern is that she didn't hit me square on (looking at the indentations in the bumper) so there may be hidden damage.

It's all well and good the bodyshop making it look good as new cosmetically but when I come to resell and new buyer's inspection reveals some chassis damage then it's me who takes the hit in the value of the car as a result. This sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A

If you go to a decent bodyshop then they will check for chassis damage and repair if neccessary so I wouldnt worry about this!

What a bummer though.

Just out of interest it seems as if all a3/s3 bumpers do this as it looks exactly the same as his when someone hit him. It's probs the way the bumper is designed to crumple on impact

Looks nasty!

I know from personal experience that a new bumper, supplied, painted and fitted (including black insert) is about £550.

Hope you get it fixed quickly! And I hope the Supersprint is ok!

[ QUOTE ]
Looks nasty!

I know from personal experience that a new bumper, supplied, painted and fitted (including black insert) is about £550.

Hope you get it fixed quickly! And I hope the Supersprint is ok!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just the bumper...the tailfgate is total f*cked too..looks at the area around the S3 badge and the bottom lip. Rear left light cluster is damaged too, lense is pulling away from the unit, cant see that in the pics.

Supersprint is OK as far as I can see, not a scratch - not that it matters, it's all declared and covered - thank f*ck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

Aww man I know how you feel, exactly the same thing happened to me My Prang /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif The tailgate had to get replaced as well as they couldn't knock out the dent, the whole thing was done on insurance but cost best part of £2000, I managed to get them to respray the front bumber and bonnet so ask the same if you have a few chips on the front

The car was in for over a week, when I got it back a few things were iffy (the spoiler wasn't stuck down properly and the bumper didn't align correctly to the rest of the car), but they sorted it quite efficently so have no qualms. Just double check the work when they finished to make sure you are happy and make sure the colour match is dead on, being a silver car it should be straightforward enough.

Unlucky dude, chin up.

[ QUOTE ]
Aww man I know how you feel, exactly the same thing happened to me My Prang /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif The tailgate had to get replaced as well as they couldn't knock out the dent, the whole thing was done on insurance but cost best part of £2000, I managed to get them to respray the front bumber and bonnet so ask the same if you have a few chips on the front

The car was in for over a week, when I got it back a few things were iffy (the spoiler wasn't stuck down properly and the bumper didn't align correctly to the rest of the car), but they sorted it quite efficently so have no qualms. Just double check the work when they finished to make sure you are happy and make sure the colour match is dead on, being a silver car it should be straightforward enough.

Unlucky dude, chin up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nasty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What kind of damage did they find under the bumper? I'm worried that damage underneath wont be repaired properly and the car will never be 'A1' again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If they replaced your tailgate then I think mine is def a gonner...

Neck is sore today too and I have a ****** 11 hour flight in Economy class to contend with on Sunday - joy!

Cheers,
Adam

When it comes to getting it back from the repairers make sure you do a very thorough check (in daylight) and reject it there and then if there's any problems with it at all - be picky, very picky. Even if you really really need the car back, trust me it's a whole load more hassle to accept the car back with their offers to fix it later at a more convenient time.

I had a mare of a time with my VR6 when it got hit in the side, the repair was still being repaired two years later.

However I learnt my lesson on which repairer not to send it to.

A good repair outfit will do a thorough check on the chassis and put it on a jig to measure it etc, but keep your 'potential buyer' hat on when it comes to accepting the repair when it's finished - anything you're not happy with, get them to sort it.

Fortunatley they found nothing when they took off the bumper. Th crash bars inside showed that and there is a reasonable crumble zone on the bumper. If you have a look underneath, the plastic surround should be loose so you can have a peek behind to doublecheck. Looking at your damage they haven't gone too far in, unlike in mine where the dude caved the lot in, but even so there was no damage!! The tailgate was the same as yours just a little nudge on the lip, but when you had a look at the lines down the side and the top my was slightly out due to the impact, so had to get it changed. You may get away with it, however I personally preferred getting a brand new one plus the insurance company fully paid out as I was rear ended.

Will the car be A1, yes it will be fine. You haven't had a horredous smash that means a jig, a new diff or whatever, so crack on as normal when you get her back!

If your neck is sore then go to the doctors asap to get checked out and registered that it could be whiplash, therefore you can claim if you want. I didn't bother but a colleague who got sided one time did and claimed £3000.00 compo.

Oh one thing as well, when you get it back make sure the entire boot electrics & stuff work:

High Rear Light
Wiper & Spray
'Open Boot' on DIS
Locks by both interior lock and by remote key
Tailgate release on key
Interior Light

Ta

on behalf of all sane people... unless you neck is really bad, please don't claim as it'll make all our premiums go up even more... that said starting to wish I'd gone to the doctors when my mate crashed his 205 Gti into a stationary garbage truck as my ribs hurt for about 4 months and I hit my head on the dashboard...

All good tips!

..dont have time to visit a doc before I go away so with any luck it'll settle down over the next couple of days - have no intention of fleecing anyone for compo that isn't due.

cheers,
Adam

i have a silver tail gate in great condition means having no filler on pm me about it pal

IIRC, my rear ender cost about £2500 to sort, my tyrewell was bent in too - couldnt get the spare wheel out without lettting half the air out of it. And in the same line of thinking - we never "faked" whiplash as so many people out there do, that stuff really annoys me.

didn't mean you were faking sorry... didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone, just seems people will claim for pretty much anything and I for one don't want to see us getting anymore like the US...

oh you fell over ... who can I sue, must be someone... couldn't be my fault for walking along talking on the phone paying no attention... nope sue...

must also appologise for my attempt at humor...

sorry, sorry, sorry...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

oop, its ok, i didnt take it that way at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif - its just the way I had written it. I just hate folk who try profit from there own stupidity or carelessness. I was fine, my Girlfriend got strapped to a neck brace and then a stretcher and carted off to hospital for an x-ray by a well meaning but over zealous paramedic. I guess they cant take the chance medically and financially! All 3 of us were fine including the 6 month old baby in the back. I'm sure we could have claimed no problem at all if we really wanted.

[ QUOTE ]
i have a silver tail gate in great condition means having no filler on pm me about it pal

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the offer but insurance are dealing - I wont accept a filled tailgate either, new or nothing.

Cheers,
Adam

[ QUOTE ]
Adam, sorry to hear about this. Hope the fix gets sorted soon.

Would you work in or around the Crawley area per chance??

[/ QUOTE ]

I do .. top of the high street near brannigans..you too?

A

I work in the industrial estate. I thought I'd seen your car a few times. I've seen it on the A23 where they've just buit that new school.

I'll flash me lights next time I see ya. You'll know its me as I'm the only yellow a3 in the area.

Although I guess it won't be for a while due to the smash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif