DAB What are my options?

Simon6565

Reaction score
Hi all,
My 2008 Allroad is without DAB and I would really like to have it, preferably DAB+.
What would my options be regarding a simple install, as it’s winter now…..!!
I‘ve looked at the standard Audi retrofit, but it looks to be too involved, I don’t like the plug into the cigarette lighter sort so I’m stumped and hope that there is someone who was in a similar position and found a good solution..

Cheers

Reactions: Simon6565
I think that’s the one that I’ll end up going for. It still allows for full MMI which is nice..although I’m hoping that the aerial lead is long enough to take the sticky bit to one of the rear side windows..

I understand though that there has been problems by some using both their Bluetooth and DAB offerings together.

If you get plug & play loom then the Audi version is simple enough, I've seen people use the none OEM antenna and you can buy the modules cheap enough these days.

There is one on there for £60 at the moment, which is a bit expensive seen them go for around the £40 mark.

Hi both,

Interesting thread here.. I too would like to get DAB into my C6, I was considering apple play etc, but I lose access to MMI I think if I do this?

@B5NUT What you are saying is if I buy that DAB receiver on eBay, I can literally unplug the exisiting one, then plug the DAB and it will work, is that right?

Any help greatly appreciated..

Cheers

James

Hi Jimbo,

As far as I understand it, CP would have to be removed from the new DAB unit (could be wrong here) you then have to connect it all up in the rack with a harness etc and a DAB antenna, activate it in VCDS (again could be wrong). That’s why I was thinking about aftermarket, they are just plug and play into the media canbus then attach an antenna and you have full MMI capability. Haven’t made up my mind yet but it’ll definitely be after Christmas.

Hi Jimbo,

As far as I understand it, CP would have to be removed from the new DAB unit (could be wrong here) you then have to connect it all up in the rack with a harness etc and a DAB antenna, activate it in VCDS (again could be wrong). That’s why I was thinking about aftermarket, they are just plug and play into the media canbus then attach an antenna and you have full MMI capability. Haven’t made up my mind yet but it’ll definitely be after Christmas.
Hey Simon,

Thanks for the response! Please let me know what you decide and how you get on. You are more clued up on this than me! I'm currently getting an apple car play, double din unit fitted to my A3, which is a much more straight forward process! :)

Cheers

On a MMI 2G system, the DAB module does not have CP. However It's not a straight swap on a 2G system. The standard AM/FM module needs to stay in the car. You need to then buy the DAB P&P wiring harness kit, the DAB receiver and an aerial (OEM or compatible aftermarket)

If you have a later facelift model C6 with MMI 3G then you need to remove the old radio unit and fit the DAB version, and get the aerial kit. You would then need to find someone with a licensed version of ODIS to remove CP.

Reactions: JimboRoad and Simon6565
On a MMI 2G system, the DAB module does not have CP. However It's not a straight swap on a 2G system. The standard AM/FM module needs to stay in the car. You need to then buy the DAB P&P wiring harness kit, the DAB receiver and an aerial (OEM or compatible aftermarket)

If you have a later facelift model C6 with MMI 3G then you need to remove the old radio unit and fit the DAB version, and get the aerial kit. You would then need to find someone with a licensed version of ODIS to remove CP.
Well I was almost there, pleased about the CP though because for some reason that frightens me. I suppose it goes back to the 80’s when buying a used stereo from a guy in the pub meant that it was nicked. Thanks B5 sterling wisdom as always..

Where is the standard FM/AM module located ? back of glovebox ?
ive sourced a DAB unit and power adpator and MOST splitter.. so just antenna to sort.