DAB Radio retrofitting

paul8852

Reaction score
Hi just wondered if anyone out there has explored the possibility of retro fitting DAB radio to their A6. I know the current A6s are now fitted with DAB as standard however my A6 is a MY2012 model just has the FM/AM/LW wavelengths, ideally would like to incorporate it within the present unit if that's possible, listen to Radio 5 Live & TalkSport a lot it would be great to hear it with clarity!! Anyone with any advice would help

Yes it's quite straight forward on the C7 chassis, do you have MMI with SD card nav or MMI touch HDD navigation?

I have fitted DAB to dozen or more new A6's, Q3's A4/5's

Audi do a retrofir themselves, but it is an extra dash mounted box without MMI control. S8Craig, do you fit the original MMI controlled unit?

Thanks guys for your responses, Craig I have the standard MMI with SD card, a ballpark price to fit would be good, do you have to fit additional aerials etc or can it be incorporated into the existing set up?

OK, so the basic RMC navigation, the DAB radio in that model is built into the Navigation unit, so it's not possible to fit genuine Audi as it requires a whole new navigation unit at a couple of grand at least.

But the DAB radio system can be fitted and fully integrated into the MMI and utilise the existing antennas in the glass.

It will show up as a MEDIA device in the MMI as DAB Radio, each MUX is a CD and the radio channels are tracks

So it would show BBC National as a MUX, select that and in there would be all the channels broadcast on the BBC national MUX, similar to how the normal DAB is displayed in the RADIO section

Ball park figure is £550 installed, just need to know Saloon or Avant to get the right antenna booster.

This is a good question since it should have been standard. I have the MMI touch HDD - is it possible to have original Audi DAB installed?

This is a good question since it should have been standard. I have the MMI touch HDD - is it possible to have original Audi DAB installed?

s8craig - I've got the same question as Joe - I was looking at A7 S-line's (DAB standard) before I decided I needed the extra boot space and went for a high-specc'd A6 S-line Avant, so I was massively dissappointed to find that a near-£50k Audi didn't have the DAB systems that £15k Fords have... and even more galling, standard on all the VW Passat Alltracks (as is the active suspension!).

I've also got the MMI touch (SDS high, touchpad, onboard media hdd, etc) and interested in retro-fitting DAB.

Last edited:
Still keen to know about this.

I think Audi are just rubbing it in our faces: mid-spec'd Seat Leons now get DAB as standard - they have to, to keep up with Ford/Vauxhaul, but Audi make you retrofit it...

A bit like a 2nd hand Q5 my dad was looking at: nearly £40k for a 2nd hand car that didn't even have a satnav!!!

Still keen to know about this.

I think Audi are just rubbing it in our faces: mid-spec'd Seat Leons now get DAB as standard - they have to, to keep up with Ford/Vauxhaul, but Audi make you retrofit it...

A bit like a 2nd hand Q5 my dad was looking at: nearly £40k for a 2nd hand car that didn't even have a satnav!!!
Since last May (i.e. all MY14 cars) Audi has fitted DAB as standard pretty much across the range and certainly for the A6 so if you buy new then there is no need for a retrofit I agree it is a shame that Audi did not include DAB as standard sooner (my MY13 car does not have it yet my wife's Golf bought a couple of months earlier does!) but anyone buying the car at the time knew it was not standard and made the choice, can't really blame Audi for a previous customer not selecting a certain option that you wanted them to select

I had to buy mine "2nd hand" from Audi (with 250 miles on the clock) as they had stopped selling the 3.0 TFSI engine in the A6 when I got mine in Feb 2013, so it means that they never sold a petrol A6 (C7) with DAB as standard - I emphasise "C7" as it was standard on the C6 S-Lines....

I have checked and I can still get it retro-fitted by Audi, but it's beyond a joke that a £53k+ car (with a fairly extensive options list already) needs to have another £800 upgrade to get DAB when it's free with cars that cost a quarter of that.... including most of the other "budget" models from VAG.

Hi People,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I've had a read of the above posts, but no one gave a definitive answer if an original Audi DAB unit could be fitted into the Audi A6 (2012) C7 model?

I have the mmi touch pad, with the SD cards and a sim slot in the front. I believe I have the HDD NAV system. I also have a Bose speaker system so I think the wiring is fibre optics between the head unit and the kit in the boot.

I was thinking of getting a DAB module that can use my existing antenna instead of using a rear window mount one (extra wiring etc)?

Could anyone recommend the correct DAB module for me as well as some quick fitting instructions?

Thanks in advance

Hi People,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I've had a read of the above posts, but no one gave a definitive answer if an original Audi DAB unit could be fitted into the Audi A6 (2012) C7 model?

I have the mmi touch pad, with the SD cards and a sim slot in the front. I believe I have the HDD NAV system. I also have a Bose speaker system so I think the wiring is fibre optics between the head unit and the kit in the boot.

I was thinking of getting a DAB module that can use my existing antenna instead of using a rear window mount one (extra wiring etc)?

Could anyone recommend the correct DAB module for me as well as some quick fitting instructions?

Thanks in advance
As you have the MMI 3G+ you can simply add the DAB unit to the system, you can either buy it from Audi or from Kufatec (https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/categories?cat=232&mcat=13). Note the cheaper Fistune system does not allow fro auto switching between DAB and FM and is essentially just an additional Media source. The rear window (saloon) or side window (avant) should already have the wires in them for the aerial but you may need to do a bit of soldering to connect the aerial wires from the unit. Several posts around on forums about how to do this.

It's not just as straightforward as swapping the unit, there's a little more to it.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Aud...A5-A6-A7-Q3-/271762442248?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

You also need a long aerial booster at £35.

I have the same set up as you (bar the Bose) and I'll probably be going for the Fistune option. In the MMI Plus system the dab actually appears in the waveband list, just like the OEM system. It's about £270.