1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAB radio reception problems.

Squirrelly Sep 25, 2019

1. Squirrelly

Squirrelly Member

I've been happily listening to DAB radio in my 2013 A4 Avant 1.8 TFSI Black edition for years now perfectly well, but just recently over he last couple of months the signal has deteriorated through broken reception to the point now when the channels have all but disappeared completely.

Is anyone aware of any recent signal problems in the Chester/North West area or do I have a problem with the car's aerial?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. rum4mo

rum4mo Well-Known Member

Out of interest, do you have MMI or a Concert etc radio?

If you have just a Concert etc, why not just remove it and check if the DAB aerial is still fully plugged in - it should be retained by the Fakra plastic cage, if it passes that step, then buy a cheap screen fitting aerial from Halfords etc had just plug it in ignoring the need for a 12V supply and hang it over the passenger seat back, if that allows you to get DAB stations then you know it is a DAB preamp issue.

4. JohnS3

JohnS3 Well-Known Member

I’d run a scan with VCDS first to check for errors on the antenna side. For reference the DAB antenna module is on the right hand D pillar.

5. JohnS3

JohnS3 Well-Known Member

I’m assuming you have a facelift B8.5

DickoB8 likes this.
  6. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member SQ5 owners group Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi Q5 S tronic

My SQ5 is newer 18 plate,but did the same. Went to Audi & they sorted it with a ''software'' update. Might be worth a go ?.

7. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

I'm in the Northwest, Manchester to be precise and I've noticed issues over the last couple of days with the signal breaking down or dropping out , I did notice it's worse if I have the Heated rear screen and mirrors turned on so I assumed it was an issue with the car but it's strange you have the same problems at the same time , maybe there are issues with signal strength at the moment

8. ld2130

ld2130 New Member Team Sepang Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group Black Edition

I'm also having issues with mine, there was chat about dodgy 12v usb chargers. I unplugged mine and it still happens :(
    Just haven't had time to investigate any further, so following

9. Squirrelly

Squirrelly Member

Yes my car is the B8.5, it has a Concert radio with Bang & Olufsen upgrade.
    I don't really want to start taking the car apart and I know nothing about VCDS sorry.

I was rather hoping that the problem would be with DAB signal strength or settings rather than with the car itself.
    I should add if it matters , that FM reception is fine.
    To explain further ;

Radio 2 seems to be less affected as the signal drops only occasionally, but sometimes there seems to be an issue where the sound
    goes 'backwards' and the presenters repeat themselves - once is enough!
    Planet Rock and Union Jack for instance, are affected much worse sometimes dropping out for minutes at a time.
    Do some stations have a stronger signal than others?

I had a play with the radio's settings while parked on my drive this morning and tried a couple of stabs in the dark...
    1. 'Station Following' was set to FM/DAB so I changed it to DAB.
    2. I turned 'L Band ' (whatever that is?) off.

This seems to have improved things while stationary but I haven't been for a drive around yet.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  10. Squirrelly

Squirrelly Member

Update. It's still ****.
    I've now tried re tuning all the stations, it sounds good stationary again...

11. spartacus68

spartacus68 Active Member

Must be antenna strength. My A4 Allroad pops in and out of connection, where as my daily runner 15 plate Polo will happily stay tuned to DAB, and we live in NE Scotland, so not exactly metropolis.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member SQ5 owners group Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi Q5 S tronic

Mine lost all the D.A.B chanels when i was at the top of Scotland doing the N.C.500. I first thought it was due to the location etc but as we got closer to home still nothing, would not even search for the chanels. As before i went to my Audi dealer who did a ''softwear'' update & it's been fine since, never had any issue before it happened.

14. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

Mine seems to have returned to normal now... can only think my issue was atmospheric conditions or poor transmitter strength for a week or 2

15. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

Unfortunately this is normal for this time of year in areas with high humidity, ours has been 99% during the day. Our digital tv reception is the same..